have iPad, will travel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #1

have iPad, will travel

OK - I did it. I caved. I wasn't going to, but I walked into an Apple store, put my hands on an iPad, and ended up throwing down 500 ponies.

I have to say - this thing is great!!

It has a reasonable (although with a bit of learning curve) keyboard on the screen. It has pretty fast connectivity with the wi-fi (I didn't get the 3G one). And the apps! Some great games for passing the rainy time away. Excellent resolution for movie watching. It's easy to read for the e-books. And the battery lasts quite a long while (5 hours of flight and enjoyment time and it still had 64% of the battery left).

I'd be curious if others have had a chance to play with one of them.

I think these things are perfect for slipping into a trailer for any adventure. At least they are worth a look.

Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park opens this weekend, and it's supposed to rain. I think it will come in handy.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: have iPad, will travel

So if you want to watch Die Hard 4 and your S.O. wants to read War and Peace . . . how does that work?
Is there an App for that?

baglo

on a MacBook
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I am wanting to "connect" with an iPad, but no USB, no printing, no file transfer no flash. What! Why can't I do these things with an iPad? I can read a book with a three pound weight in my lap.

Is there an Escape app? Something to get my daily fix.

You can tell I am not writing this on a Mac.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

I did a video for The Vancouver Sun on a geek who is 18 and owns a couple tech companies and writes Apps and I asked him what use the iPad is with no USB and no DVD drive. He said there is a device that you can use to connect wireless to DVD players etc. Basically, it's like when Apple brought out a laptop with no floppy drive and we all questioned that decision.
If I had been paying more attention to what he was saying, I could explain it.

Personally I would still opt for a MacBook rather than the iPad, but at 1/3 the price of a MacBook, the iPad may make sense for some. I've heard it described as a large iPhone, but you can't make calls with it.

From the sales of iPad, however, it would appear that I am wrong and don't know what I'm talking about...

I want one.

baglo

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

this is the info from our tech reporter Gillian Shaw in The Vancouver Sun

1. Phs300 Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot, $180 US

I get some of the handiest tips from the tech people I interview, and Brian Wong of Digg and FollowFormation.comhad an instant solution for my worry that I'd buy one of Apple's new Wi-Fi-only iPads, only to be frustrated when there's no Wi-Fi available. As well as answering my iPad anxiety, Cradlepoint's PHS300 Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot is a wireless solution for any Wi-Fi gadget.

It turns your existing 3G device -- whether it's a phone you can tether or a USB modem -- into a Wi-Fi hot spot that can provide wireless connectivity for up to 16 devices. With a range of 46 metres, it has a Li-ion battery so if you're away from AC power, it will keep your Wi-Fi signal going for just over three hours. You can also get a car power adapter for $25 US. Since the iPad has no USB port and you can't tether your iPhone to it for wireless data (without jailbreaking your iPhone, but that's another column), it's a good iPad solution. It's also one I could also see families taking along this summer so the kids don't fight over the single USB modem in the car or at the cottage. www.cradlepoint.com.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
So if you want to watch Die Hard 4 and your S.O. wants to read War and Peace . . . how does that work?
Is there an App for that?

baglo

on a MacBook
It's the "buy two" app.

I've noticed the no flash thing - and the open letters between adobe and apple. So far that really only limits the advertising that i see.

I purposely chose the small memory and no 3G so that I tend not to use it so much. I will definitely keep my MacBook.

Some of the puzzles work very well with the touch screen - and viewing photos is fun.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi:All... What I want most right now is a device that can send a message from this laptop to my daughters cell phone to say HELP!!! Bring a house key as we are locked out!!! Just means camping in our own driveway...NOT ALL THAT BAD!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Ok.. I was hesitant to comment on this thread.. But, since I'm totally enthralled with tech stuff, count me in..

I didn't get the iPad, but I got the Incredible HTC Android phone and downloaded the PDANET app to tether it with my laptop.. It works great, I can actually watch Netflix instant play using the phone as the connection.. Pretty cool.. The HTC very iPhone like, in weight & size. So far so good, I really like it.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #9

And, you'll note that I haven't commented either, much...

I brought the 15 TV and a DVD player and had the MacBook and wireless internet and cable at our camp at Ripple Rock a couple weeks ago.

I just wanted to play and see if it all worked, but it sort of took over.

Now, I just want to leave all that stuff at home and go camping. Read a book, play crib, do a crossword, tie a fly, spend a couple hours making dinner, watch the birds. Have a few beers and a smoke. Damn. I quit smoking. Damn it anyway.

baglo
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Now, I just want to leave all that stuff at home and go camping. Read a book, play crib, do a crossword, tie a fly, spend a couple hours making dinner, watch the birds. Have a few beers and a smoke. Damn. I quit smoking. Damn it anyway.
baglo
Congrats on the smoking!!!! You'll have many more years added to your life to Escape. Won't look like you're aging as fast either : - )
Yep, all that stuff is what camping is about. Only time for the occassional DVD (or Netflix on your handy dandy phone connection) is for those rainy days. Awefully nice then!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #11

Snow, rain, hail, high winds for most of the weekend. Used the iPad for 3 movies, sudoku, other mind puzzles (Rush Hour), recipes, notes, and music while playing Puerto Rico and cribbage with friends. All that and there was still 54% left in the battery.

Reading is easy on it, doesn't require another light source (to disturb your sleeping partner), and weighs the same whether it hold 1 book or 100 books.

When the skies actually clear I'll use the star finding apps to learn something about that, and when it becomes available in Canada I'll try the birding app.

But mostly....I'll be in the canoe or the hammock.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #12

Mosquitodirk: if you don't mind me asking, how are you finding using the iPad in Canada before the official release? I might be picking up an iPad in Oregon this month, but am wondering how useful it will be before the iPad app store goes live in Canada... I have both Canadian and American iTunes accounts, so I guess I could just run it as a US iPad for the first little while. Is that what you're doing?

Thanks!
~T
tjryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

My wife has the Audubon Bird app on her iPod Touch. It is an amazing program!

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk
Snow, rain, hail, high winds for most of the weekend. Used the iPad for 3 movies, sudoku, other mind puzzles (Rush Hour), recipes, notes, and music while playing Puerto Rico and cribbage with friends. All that and there was still 54% left in the battery.

Reading is easy on it, doesn't require another light source (to disturb your sleeping partner), and weighs the same whether it hold 1 book or 100 books.

When the skies actually clear I'll use the star finding apps to learn something about that, and when it becomes available in Canada I'll try the birding app.

But mostly....I'll be in the canoe or the hammock.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjryce
Mosquitodirk: if you don't mind me asking, how are you finding using the iPad in Canada before the official release? I might be picking up an iPad in Oregon this month, but am wondering how useful it will be before the iPad app store goes live in Canada... I have both Canadian and American iTunes accounts, so I guess I could just run it as a US iPad for the first little while. Is that what you're doing?

Thanks!
~T
Hi T

There are still plenty of applications for the ipad available through itunes on my laptop (just not on the app store on the ipad yet). It's a bit cumbersome and I'm looking forward to some that won't be available until then (specifically iBooks and the iWork suite).

It has probably helped me break into it slowly - I imagine that I may have "gone to town" ordering many apps I didn't actually need if I had access to them right away.

Have fun with it if you get one.

And Eric - I'm definitely stoked to see if there are good birding apps specifically for the ipad. I can "nerd out" with birds and electronics simultaneously.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk
And Eric - I'm definitely stoked to see if there are good birding apps specifically for the ipad. I can "nerd out" with birds and electronics simultaneously.
I don't know if it is available for the iPad, but I have ibird Explorer on my iPhone & it is impressive.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

Don't make me buy one of those things... They certainly look tempting even though my Mac Book Pro is great! But thinking of a bird watching app, uh oh.... I KNOW I would get that, and the star gazing app! My intention is to wait for the next generation iPad though, let's see whether I can manage... :