Help me understand!! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
My husband is totally into astronomy, owns a large telescope, and is dialed in to all the star parties in the northwest. If you ever decide to get out our way let us know and he can point you in the right direction!!
Cool. Thanks. I watched the eclipse last year from Idaho. Hopefully I can get back out that way next year.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Lights can be annoying .... but music is enjoyed by all the fellow campers in the park.
Just curious , Do you have “ Rap Music “ in Canada ?
I really hope the answer is NO
There is just something really irritating about “Rap Music when you are trying commune with nature or at anytime for that matter .
Thank God for earphones
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Just curious , Do you have “ Rap Music “ in Canada ?
I really hope the answer is NO
There is just something really irritating about “Rap Music when you are trying commune with nature or at anytime for that matter .
Thank God for earphones
You're showing your age Steve. Obviously you have no memories tied to Rap music, me either. My Mother loved Perry Como and Lawrence Welk. I couldn't stand any of that. Difference choices based on age and memories. None of it is bad, except we don't fall in love or dance to it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
You think the awning lights are bad, try camping in Quebec. There, they leave the running and tail lights, and in some cases the back-up lights, on all night. Getting extremely tired of having the whole area lit up, we asked one of the "locals" why they do this. His answer in broken Quebecois French, "Uh, I don't know, we've always done it". Very annoying in my opinion. The campgrounds should make a rule like the noise rule: No Lights On After 10pm - No Exceptions.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Unfortunately, heading out into the sticks doesn't fully solve the problem. There have been a few times that we were way out there, and it seemed like some idiots decide that the remoteness means that civility goes out the window and anything goes. Not long ago somewhere in the wilds of Washington state, some twit decided that 2:00 am would be a great time to do some donuts in the middle of a somewhat remote campground, and when some unhappy campers suggested to him that he knock it off, he took the opportunity to run over a couple of them, killing one. Apparently some behavior altering substances were involved in this case, but nonetheless it is a problem even when the parties are sober. On our pro/con list of trailer vs. Class B/C, the ability to get behind the wheel and take off without having to go outside was a definite positive for non-trailer.
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Back story on that incident does shed some light though. The folks who were upset about the truck doing donuts on a gravel bar didn't just ask the driver to stop it, they argued, it escalated, and then they threw rocks at his truck. He was a loose cannon and ran them over. None of that needed to happen if one cooler head was present. Whether you're camping in the boondocks or at an established park, the need for self control and the ability to disengage from a bad situation doesn't go away.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Our pet peeve is being in a nearly empty campground with dozens of unoccupied sites and someone sets up in the adjacent site. This has happened on multiple occasions over the years.

Last time we were at Boya Lake in Northern BC there were 4 campsites occupied out of 44. We were enjoying a mug of tea, admiring the evening light, loons on the lake, fall foliage, fresh snow on the hills....When a couple pulled into the adjacent site, made the comment, “What a nice evening and what a beautiful view”. They started their generator, went inside turned on the tv, we never saw them outside again. We ended up moving to another part of the campground where the evening and views were just as nice.

Scott and Lori
Bicycles are awesome!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Maybe I’m judgmental but I find the lasers that light up the trees to be ridiculous. But as long as I can sleep at night I can put up with whatever.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, then there are campfires. Light and air pollution.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What about the disturbing effects of natural light? I have been camping many times in Alberta in early July where the sky remains light until very late at night, and just when you think it is going to get dark the sky starts to lighten up again in anticipation of the sun rising. It's very challenging to sleep under those conditions. The usual recourse is to sit out by the campfire all night with a bottle of strong spirits and other like minded folks, and just enjoy the experience.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like strings of Xmas lights in a campground and I the first time I saw them I thought the lasers shining into the trees were cool. (So much easier than stringing the Xmas lights around.) What bugs me is that LED on the USB outlet at the foot of our bed: it shines in my eyes all night.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #32

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like strings of Xmas lights in a campground and I the first time I saw them I thought the lasers shining into the trees were cool. (So much easier than stringing the Xmas lights around.) What bugs me is that LED on the USB outlet at the foot of our bed: it shines in my eyes all night.
A little piece of black tape solves that or there's these.
https://www.amazon.com/Blocking-Elec...+sticker+block
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have a counter extension that covers the light at the foot of the bed. Glad it's there for that and we sometimes even use the counter! (But not when sleeping.)

I also like Christmas lights and seeing lights at the campgrounds. My impression is that people have these to see around their campsite, and so as not to run into things. They often do the perimeter and around items that one might trip on. And they sometimes just want a festive party atmosphere. Not my kind of thing, as all we have are a few little solar lights that we rarely have out. But I like seeing what others have.

Campgrounds are not all the same nor are their sites usually. Private campgrounds have much closer sites in general than state parks or other public parks. If you want more space with your hookups, public places are a little better for that, assuming you do not want to boondock.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Any more I camp far from other people so I can enjoy the peace and quiet and a night sky. Doesn't always work but generally others out there as far as I am are also seeking the same thing. If I have to stay in a campground I accept the fact that others are there to have a good time and that may include behaviors I don't particularly care for such as music, lights, etc. In which case I limit my stay and move on as soon as is feasible.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Dark parks

Two national parks with dark skies are Big Bend NP in Texas and Great Basin NP in Nevada. Both parks are really isolated. Great Basin has been designated as an "International Dark Sky Park"; it holds astronomy-related events. See its website.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Two national parks with dark skies are Big Bend NP in Texas and Great Basin NP in Nevada. Both parks are really isolated. Great Basin has been designated as an "International Dark Sky Park"; it holds astronomy-related events. See its website.
Big Bend is great. It benefits from being so far "out of the way" from population centers, unlike most other parks, and from the fact that the camping areas are not as accommodating to the big rigs.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I also like Christmas lights and seeing lights at the campgrounds. My impression is that people have these to see around their campsite, and so as not to run into things. They often do the perimeter and around items that one might trip on. And they sometimes just want a festive party atmosphere. Not my kind of thing, as all we have are a few little solar lights that we rarely have out. But I like seeing what others have.
If folks are actually using these lights, whether outside in the dark as a guiding light, or even if in a festive way if socializing outside, I don't have a problem. I have seen a few though that leave the lights on all the time, even when not using them. I believe they do it because they think it looks cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Any more I camp far from other people so I can enjoy the peace and quiet and a night sky. Doesn't always work but generally others out there as far as I am are also seeking the same thing. If I have to stay in a campground I accept the fact that others are there to have a good time and that may include behaviors I don't particularly care for such as music, lights, etc. In which case I limit my stay and move on as soon as is feasible.
I mostly do the same, try to find a secluded spot, even when in a campground. I do accept most of whatever is thrown at me when I agree to stay at a campsite, there are just a few behaviours I do not care for is all. Fortunately, the vast majority of campers are great people who are very courteous to others, there are actually only a very few who go against the grain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I suspect you’re being sarcastic, but I don’t understand the thrill of lighting a campfire with wet wood that smokes up a good part of a campground. I know campfires are supposed to be part of the outdoor experience, and I do like sitting around the fire, but I don’t like smoke being blown in my face or filling up my trailer. But these things are going to happen and either we let it slide or we stay Home.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like strings of Xmas lights in a campground and I the first time I saw them I thought the lasers shining into the trees were cool. (So much easier than stringing the Xmas lights around.)
Clearly you’re not alone and while I don’t appreciate having the trees lit up with lasers I get that other people do and when it happened at Wellesley Island a couple of summers ago, I just looked the other way at night. I look at the lights as an annoyance but I get that people like them and it makes them happy and that is a good thing.

Honestly, the only thing I find really depressing is listening to people’s generators. Last summer at Grand Teton we were able to get into the generator free loop which was great! We were voluntarily boondocking next to a lot of other people who also were willing to haul water and live without electricity for two weeks. Loved it! And then loved the RV park in the Tetons where everyone had full hookups and there was no need for generators. Didn’t mind the lights.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Lights can be annoying .... but music is enjoyed by all the fellow campers in the park.
Give me light over pounding hip hop or rap any time.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote