HELP! New Escapee Delivery vs Pick Up Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1997 Scamp 16
HELP! New Escapee Delivery vs Pick Up Questions

Hi all! We were the lucky winners of the lotto drawing for one of the inventory trailers that just came up on Tuesday. We were not supposed to get our 5.0 until September 2024. As you can imagine we are scrambling to figure everything out so we can get this picked up within the next month. While I am SO excited, I am also a planner so this situation is a bit of a nightmare for me!!

We live in Minnesota and have limited PTO. We cannot take more than a week off right now as we obviously did not plan on this. We are debating between booking it all the way out to Sumas as fast as possible and then back OR delivering the trailer part way to Bozeman, MT.

For people who have used the delivery/hub options from Escape, how does this work? From the website it sounds like they will deliver within a two week window, which is not an option for us. We cannot just drive out whenever to meet in Bozeman as we have work and it is too far of a drive for us to just drop everything and go.

Also, with pick up in Sumas, how long does the orientation take and the whole process of the pick up? We really need to make sure we are back home on schedule as we'll need our jobs to pay for this trailer

Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated! Honestly, even tips unrelated to my question! We need all the help we can get!!
TranquiLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I picked up from Kansas City, I live in the STL. My delivery driver said his next stop would be in North Carolina and he was headed right down 70. He suggested if I would’ve called the delivery company directly something could have possibly been set up for a STL pickup.
I definitely would’ve payed the extra cost, if there was any additional fees. The information didn’t help me as I was already in KC, but it could be something to look into.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
The pickup in Sumas doesn't take more than half-hour/45 minutes, if that. You have an appointment, though we got there earlier. Once the camper comes in - the driver helps you hook up (directions only but helpful). You sign at a couple of places and you are done.

No orientation in Sumas, WA. For that - you go to Chilliwack on the day prior (I presume). We did not get any as it was Covid period and we could not enter Canada. But, you will not get an orientation in the delivery hub either.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You'll be to excited to remember anything anyway. That's why there is a manual and the videos.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquiLiza View Post
... For people who have used the delivery/hub options from Escape, how does this work? ....
I took delivery of my 5.0 trailer at the HUB in Texas late last summer. At that time all of the delivery arrangements were made by Amanda Rahm (email: delivery@escapetrailer.com).

As my 5.0 neared completion (and your is obviously already there) Amanda was able to estimate within a couple of days:
  • The date it would be loaded on the transport at Chilliwack
  • The transit time to my HUB
That 'couple of days' window was cut-down to a specific date target a few days before the trailer left Chilliwack.

The transport driver called me directly when he cleared the border crossing and again the day before actual meet-up at the HUB to confirm the time he would be there.

The delivery did in fact occur as estimated and then targeted, so my 'preliminary' travel plans to the HUB ~300 miles from my home ended-up being just fine.

I suggest you get in touch with Escape ASAP and discuss the specifics of your particular situation.

I will note that the actual time at the HUB location was a bit longer than I (and the transport driver) expected due to a delay by the local contractor with the truck used to get the RV trailer off the transport trailer and onto the ground so I could 'take possession'. I didn't leave the HUB until ~5 hours after our originally scheduled meet-time. So IMO it's probably appropriate to allow some contingency in your pickup-day schedule at a HUB (at least one other than Sumas) where these deliveries are not a 'daily' event. I had planned only ~60 miles of travel from the HUB to an overnight stopover on delivery day so all was good.

There is of course no 'orientation' by the transport driver when taking delivery at a HUB. The transport driver delivering my trailer did offer some un-defined 'assistance' getting my trailer hitched but I felt prepared so declined that offer and can't comment on his limits in that regard. As mentioned, we were all running later than expected so he was happy to depart before I finished my planned hitch-up and trailer check-out process which I did not rush, taking care to check everything thrice .

I am using an Andersen hitch and installed my own coupler-block on the trailer pin box at the HUB site. IF you do that I strongly suggest you not 'permanently' mount the Andersen release cable/bracket at the HUB site - carry a bag of long zip-ties and just temporarily lash it securely through any of the many available holes in the pin box, then do the 'permanent' mounting at your leisure when home. I'm very glad I took that approach and all worked-out just fine.

Another tip: take your torque-wrench and do stop to check the trailer lug nuts after ~100 miles or so of travel!!! Many of mine needed a bit of tweaking-to-spec after my first ~60 miles travel, they were good for the remainder of my 300 mile trip home.

Just for your consideration, hope that helps, congrats on your new trailer, and good luck with your pickup wherever that occurs.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our trailer was built right at the start of Covid. Our plan was an epic family vacation to BC. Then Covid hit. We were going to go get it but at the last minute changed our minds. It was delivered to a tow yard only 3 minutes from our house along with another trailer destined for Hamilton. It was pretty expensive, but I figured it still only figured twice the price of actually going to get it.

If it was me and I had limited time off, I would just get it delivered to the house. Don't try and meet half way. If one thing goes wrong on either end, you could be in trouble. If you figure what it costs to drive out there for gas, food, lodging and depreciation on your vehicle, delivery isn't really that expensive. If you have 5 weeks to make it a trip, that's a different scenario.

Another thing to be aware of is the off gassing from all the adhesives and resin. It bothers some people and some don't notice it. If your sensitive to chemicals, don't be in a rush to camp. We didn't actually get our trailer till it was 5 months old.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We live in St. Louis and are considering Bozeman for the same similar reasons. I am a salesman so time away gives my competitors an opportunity.

Sumas is a 33 hour drive from St. Louis but coming back would take a few more days simply because of pulling our Escape back home at a slower speed. Just doing some quick looking at the map we think we can do that in under 1 1/2 weeks. But a month would be awesome. Hopefully we will the lottery before we pick up in October.

We were going to have it shipped to Kansas City until the sharp increase in that cost.

Congrats on being selected!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Just to add one point - off gassing was not a factor when we picked up in Sumas, WA. We stayed in the camper that evening. It could be because we were picking up 10 days after the camper was completed, the temperature in PNW was not hot or because we were not as sensitive.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Just to add one point - off gassing was not a factor when we picked up in Sumas, WA. We stayed in the camper that evening. It could be because we were picking up 10 days after the camper was completed, the temperature in PNW was not hot or because we were not as sensitive.
This was our experience with off gassing too. Definitely could smell it but it was more like "new trailer smell" than the really awful smell of something like a new memory foam mattress etc. We slept in the trailer the first night after pickup and have been on 4 trips with it so far without it being an issue.

I will say after 2 months with the trailer the "new trailer smell" is still there though. So if you are sensitive to the smell of new products then not sure what to tell you. It is a bit stronger than a new car smell because of the mattress and cushions etc.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Make reservations for Cilliwack the day before and after pickup, Sumas is not too far away. Pickup/delivery took maybe 2 hours round trip from Chilliwack. We picked up Tuesday and now in Osoyoos for Rally.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Make reservations for Cilliwack the day before and after pickup, Sumas is not too far away. Pickup/delivery took maybe 2 hours round trip from Chilliwack. We picked up Tuesday and now in Osoyoos for Rally.
I always thought Sumas was a bit further away than that. Maybe three farts away!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 - 2021
We live in MN and picked up in Sioux City, SD. Was a bit more money then and probably a little more now. Not sure if that's an option or not.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
We live in MN and picked up in Sioux City, SD. Was a bit more money then and probably a little more now. Not sure if that's an option or not.
I know Sioux City delivery is $1,300 more than Boseman but also 4 hours driving instead of 16 so it’s a day trip instead of three or four days, which may be relevant from taking time off work, as well as having the trailer safe at home while you learn the ropes.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I always thought Sumas was a bit further away than that. Maybe three farts away!
Depends on whether one putts along or really goes. Fiber mileage may vary!
Old 05-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Also, with pick up in Sumas, how long does the orientation take and the whole process of the pick up?
There is no orientation at Sumas. Escape delivery drivers are not permitted to work in the United States (customs / visa / law issue). Driving the truck and dropping off the trailer isn't considered working in the U.S. Doing an customer orientation would be.

When the border was closed there was no option for an orientation. With the border open, I don't know if you can go to ETI and get an orientation.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Also, with pick up in Sumas, how long does the orientation take and the whole process of the pick up? We really need to make sure we are back home on schedule as we'll need our jobs to pay for this trailer

Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated! Honestly, even tips unrelated to my question! We need all the help we can get!!
For us the orientation in Chilliwack was about 2 hours, the next day the trailer was delivered to us in Sumas. No muss, no fuss. The fuss happened for us on our way to the pickup when Escape lost its export license, requiring us to spend an extra week in Canada before Escape got its license reinstated and the trailer could leave the country. Guess what I'm saying is, be prepared for hiccups. Great x-country trip though. Have fun.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: looking again 2020
5.0 pick up

We just picked up our 5.0 in Sumas May 18. We had the flexibilty and a son that lives near Seattle. We drove from MD and stayed 2 nites in Sumas...since, on the 17th hubs did the tour in Chilliwak (I couldn't enter Canada as I was not vaccinated). We also had Trademasters in Chilliwak install our Anderson hitch.
I think the in person demo in Chilliwak was valuable, as the driver delivering only gave basic info. We then drove to the Seattle area and stayed with our son for about a week, which helped tremendously with the off gassing previously mentioned. I don't know that I would have been able to tolerate the fumes the first week. It gave us a chance to grab basics to continue our return trip east. If you can, the trip to Sumas and Chilliwak are most definitely a plus for use and enjoyment. Congratulations!!!
Imacasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Just some pics to encourage you to pick up in Montana! We were fortunate to meet up in Missoula: Speed towing co was our drop off point, very helpful with transferring our trailer to a tilt bed from the tractor trailer to get her back down to earth, and Andersen Hitch has a warehouse in Missoula where Archie helped us with a back ordered Andersen Ultimate Hitch Gooseneck (Toolbox version) chains and PinBox.
I just got back from a languid drive back to Arkansas so can help with some campground advice out west; Just gorgeous out there!
Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails
905DEEF4-71FD-4BFE-BC40-EFE3704F7586.jpg   C63678F9-2B86-445A-8DFE-6B2DFE69D05A.jpg   DDC28DF0-FB1D-421B-8432-BAA5F393D44F.jpg   A5494DDE-820B-43C8-B833-842694094602.jpg  
Cogswheel is offline   Reply With Quote