Hi Just ordered 19ft last month: Axle Lift anyone? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Hi Just ordered 19ft last month: Axle Lift anyone?

Hello- last month my wife and I ordered a 19 ft and now have the looooong winter to wait for our dream trailer. We are starting to decide on options. I am considering the axle lift but wanted to get some info. For those who don't have the lift my question is: What is the lowest component under the trailer? Is it plumbing? and how close to the ground is it? For those who have the axle lift how much is the trailer bottom lifted? At times we will use the trailer for dry camping via gravel roads so it could come in handy. My only concern about the axle lift is the potential for increased air drag and a top heavy feel to the trailers handling. Are either of these concerns realistic?
thanks in advance
Ambrose
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Hi Just ordered 19ft last month: Axle Lift anyone?

Congrats on your order Ambrose. I got the lift axle on my 19. It raises it an additional 2". I am not sure that if I had it to do all over again, I would put the raised axle on it. It has lots of clearance without. I really have no idea if it causes that much more drag, but being a tandem axle, stability is not an issue in the least.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #3

We got it on our 17ft and quickly realized it really wasn't necessary..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Heh Ambrose, if you get one of those "I can't wait any longer" feelings, just come on up the hill and I'll let you sit in Hokie for a little while : - )
I got the high axle because I wasn't sure if my tow vehicle was gonna be a Frontier or Titan, until we got to Seattle! So glad it was the Frontier, because we love it! We would have needed the extra 2" if it was a Titan. If I'd known however, I probably would not have ordered it. The step is 2" higher, and it requires extra blocking below the stabilizers, so they aren't pointing straight down when extended. Other than that, it's neither here nor there in my opinion.
Now here's my question to the forum, is it really a "high axle", or is it a higher "body". Both are on 15" wheels, so it seems to me that the lowest point under the trailer, which is the axle (not any plumbing Ambrose) would be the same in either configuration, and the extra 2" is in "blocking" on top of the axle to raise the body of the trailer.
But, maybe I'm wrong?
I don't know if there is more drag, because it's up higher, but maybe less because Hokie is so aerodynamic, she might want to fly! But, I can say for sure, there is no sway!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Ambrose... Here's a pic of "Our Escape Hatch" from the under belly. This is a 5.0 and not a 19'er but I think they would be close to same. We have the lift and I use some short pieces of cedar 4x4 screwed to some deck boards to put under the stabilizers. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. can't see the axle but you sure can see the grey water tank!!!
Attached Thumbnails
down under 2.jpg   downunder.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
The step is 2" higher, and it requires extra blocking below the stabilizers, so they aren't pointing straight down when extended. Other than that, it's neither here nor there in my opinion.
For sure, even on a flat hard surface it is a better to add a bit of blocking under the stabilizers so are angled out a bit, offering more lateral stability.
Quote:
Now here's my question to the forum, is it really a "high axle", or is it a higher "body". Both are on 15" wheels, so it seems to me that the lowest point under the trailer, which is the axle (not any plumbing Ambrose) would be the same in either configuration, and the extra 2" is in "blocking" on top of the axle to raise the body of the trailer.
I am quite sure it is the latter Dan, that the body is attached to the axle, thus everything other than the wheels is raised the 2".

Some construction trailers do just the opposite and offer dropped axles, bringing the bed closer to the ground, enabling better access to get vehicles or machinery on to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Looking at Alf's pic there shows the bottom of the gray tank being pretty close to the height of the axle from the ground on the high lift, so maybe on the regular lift, it is at, or a little below the axle??
Someone with a "low lift" axle will have to confirm that one.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the lowest part of the trailer is the gray tank. On the 19, where is the drain valve for the black and gray tank located? -that was the lowest part on my previous trailer and I remember wishing it was a little higher. Doesn't sound like anyone really feels the axle lift is crucial for ground clearance on fairly level gravel roads. Dan, thanks for the offer to visit again should we begin to experience Escape Withdrawal. Maybe some camping together after we get ours is order.... two Escapes side by side in Virginia- sounds like a movement!...
Ambrose
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote