High axle lift for 21...is it needed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We towed our 2015 Escape 21 for a year before the high lift kit became available and we had it added. We have the foam insulation, but Escape was able to do the job in about an hour. Towing with the high lift was the same as before, great! And we don’t need the 2-step stairs. I can see how it might be needed if you had mobility issues.
Others have pointed out that the added height is small in comparison to the changes in height at the trailer ends as you traverse pitchy roads and campsites, but I am glad to have it. Even on the level it keeps the low points a little safer from rocks we drive over in between the wheels.

Bob K
Thanks for your reply Bob
We are definitely getting the high Lift axle, glad to hear it tows the same... was my biggest worry going down mountain paths
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
For those who have it- does it help WDH bars not scrape in gas station driveways, etc. or is it primarily to get the rear lifted?
Since the height of the bars is determined by the trailer frame height, the lift kit will raise the bars by 2.625", which has to help with this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is an option that very few people would really need. I have not had in on either Escape in over 11 years now, and even with a really steep driveway have never needed it.

Like many options, a lot of folks get it just in case.

For me, it came down to a few reasons not to get it.
- Escape trailers are designed with a raised rear on the frame and offer good clearance
- Keeping the profile of the trailer just that wee bit out of the wind while towing
- I like the look better without
- That 2 5/8" higher first step could be bothersome. I really, really do not want two steps
- I travel lots of dirt and gravel roads and clearance is no issue
- Save the money though not a huge cost
- Easy to do later if desired the need arose.

Reasons I have considered the need to add it.
- by installing my custom rear cargo box and making the decision to keep the weight forward, I moved the spare under the front of the unit. It has been over 2 years now, and with observing clearance in undulating off road situation, it has amazingly stayed well clear of the ground.

But, as with all the options, some may feel different, and many get lots of them just in case.Both options are great for getting out and making memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #24

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
I use the chain/bar type WD Hitch an sway bar setup..the high lift helps by getting the bars up a bit. Far as I know they do not scrape.
BTW the WD hitch earned its keep a couple weeks ago..we got caught in a surprize HEAVY downpour while on a hill..we hydroplaned and the rig stayed perfectly straight until the anti-lock TV brakes finally got traction. I believe if we had had only a ball hitch , the trailer wd have jacknifed badly! Shared the skit out of both of me and the wife
Thanks again... we are going for high axle and have WD from prior trailer
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

Resurrecting a thread to ask related questions ...

1. Is the high lift axle if ordered from ETI as an OE option a 'permanent' installation (e.g. welded in place) or is it a 'removable' installation (e.g. bolted in place)?
  • Yes, I'm wondering if a trailer with OE High-Lift axles lends to conversion to 'Standard-Lift' IF one were inclined to do so for whatever reason?
2. For those who have ordered the 'High-lift Kit' for local installation on a trailer that was delivered without it:
  • Did the installation require any welding?
  • Did the installation require any drilling of the Escape chassis / frame?
  • Did the kit include anything other than a pre-drilled 'spacer bar' and any associated bolts/fasteners?
Thanks In Advance!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Resurrecting a thread to ask related questions ...

1. Is the high lift axle if ordered from ETI as an OE option a 'permanent' installation (e.g. welded in place) or is it a 'removable' installation (e.g. bolted in place)?
  • Yes, I'm wondering if a trailer with OE High-Lift axles lends to conversion to 'Standard-Lift' IF one were inclined to do so for whatever reason?
2. For those who have ordered the 'High-lift Kit' for local installation on a trailer that was delivered without it:
  • Did the installation require any welding?
  • Did the installation require any drilling of the Escape chassis / frame?
  • Did the kit include anything other than a pre-drilled 'spacer bar' and any associated bolts/fasteners?
Thanks In Advance!
Centex: My understanding is that it is a completely bolt-on installation with no welding or frame holes required. This makes it easy to add aftermarket or also easy to remove if desired.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-02.html

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=25f1648_12

There are videos like this that show you how they are installed:
Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This makes it easy to add aftermarket or also easy to remove if desired.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-02.html

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=25f1648_12
Don't forget axles need to be aligned for proper tracking and tire wear.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #28

Thumbs up

Thank You rubicon327 and TTMartin!

Exactly the info I was seeking (actually more than I'd hoped for, not previously realizing that the High Lift Kit is an 'off-the-shelf' Dexter item )

Gotta love this forum
Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Don't forget axles need to be aligned for proper tracking and tire wear.
Didn't see anywhere in the instructions you quoted where it said to align. Before we replaced both axles under warranty Dexter said there was no way to align the axles and if we tried the warranty would be void. They said it could only be bent to align and would easily bend back, so alignment was worthless. They also said if the holes were incorrectly placed it would be up to ETI to correct the placement of the holes and they felt that would be extremely hard to correct.

We now have about 17,000 miles on the replaced rear axle and 12,000 miles on the front replaced axle and can see no abnormal wear.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #30

Methinks 'alignment' is limited to optimizing an equilateral triangle between each axle's stub-end centerpoints and the ball centerpoint to the small extent clearance tolerance in the various mounting bolt-holes allows.

Making the IMO safe assumption that the OE frame holes are properly located and the all is properly aligned as delivered by ETI, that would be a very minor range of adjustment, perhaps insignificant (if not likely, thus no mention in the instructions?). But hey - I'm 'OCD' so would likely check such (note the OE 'baselines' before removal and as reinstalled after any axle R&R) myself, just for the heckovit / to verify nothing was amiss in the reinstallation. BTDT when I dropped the axle on my Casita for chassis-coating touch-up.

Certainly, nothing involving any attempt at bending anything on the axle assembly or it's mounts as delivered by Dexter - that's an understood explicit no-no.