High heat and Escape trailers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
Where can one buy this stuff in Canada? I've searched the web and didn't see any outlets that sell it.

Doug
I know eshine.ca carries it, but they charge an arm and a leg. Perhaps Amazon.ca has it too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I find this interesting. I have put a total of 4 coats of wax on my trailer so far and it is my least favorable task. What are the pros/cons to using 303 on the whole trailer? Most of all, how did you come to the conclusion to use 303 instead of wax?
Eric was using 303 on his but is using wax now. He might want to say why he switched. I have seen elsewhere where others use it and say that it is easier to put on than wax. I don't know because I never use wax. No telling if using it is any worse or better because I have nothing to compare. We had the 19' for three years and this one since 2015 so can't tell anything.

303 is a UV inhibitor. We wash well and then put it on only once or maybe twice a year. Spray on roof and use long-handled mop for out in the middle. Use rags elsewhere. It does not give a shine. It is a matt finish.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
Where can one buy this stuff in Canada? I've searched the web and didn't see any outlets that sell it.

Doug
Hi: NuthatchBC... Crafty Tire and some automotive stores too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When I woke up this morning it was 51 deg F heading for a high of 62 deg F so I cracked open a couple of windows and opened the roof vent in the trailer so it doesn't overheat. If it gets really hot we plug in the trailer to shore power and run the roof fan .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Keeping trailer cool

When I woke up this morning it was 51 deg F heading for a high of 62 deg F so I cracked open a couple of windows and opened the roof vent in the trailer so it doesn't overheat. If it gets really hot we plug in the trailer to shore power and run the roof fan on low exhaust .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Storage when hot: we remove food and meds. Everything else can stay. Electronics are not harmed by the heat unless they're on and in-operation. (Circuit board manufacturing is via flow-soldering in an oven).
We leave the maxxfan vent and the kitchen awning window open a bit, always. Maximum inside-trailer temp. (according to our weather station in the trailer) was 110° (43°C). with no adverse consequences.
(If we were 25 mi. away, further inland, where Pat is, it would probably be 120°; still no problem.)
We use only Aero 303 on the exterior: all surfaces. After each trip, the trailer is washed, then 303 is applied. (It's much easier than waxing).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We use only Aero 303 on the exterior: all surfaces. After each trip, the trailer is washed, then 303 is applied. (It's much easier than waxing).
We have applied lots of Mother's Wax on our trailer. Will there be any issues putting 303 on it after the next washing? As a result of this forum, I have ordered 303 and looking forward to using it, at least on plastics.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
We have applied lots of Mother's Wax on our trailer. Will there be any issues putting 303 on it after the next washing? As a result of this forum, I have ordered 303 and looking forward to using it, at least on plastics.
We understand that it cannot be used with wax. Wax has to be removed. Don't know that washing will do that, especially since you put a lot. But waxing people will need to respond.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #29

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
I am very concerned about our 5.0TA being left out in the AZ sun. We have already had a couple of 119 degree days here in Mesa. This spring we purchased a Calmark cover and am mostly pleased with it. The UV rays have been decreased, but the gel coat still gets very hot under the cover. Inside, all perishables have been removed, but I have not removed the batteries. I decided to just keep and eye on the water level and hook up shore power occasionally to keep the charge. So far so good. Last year we didn't have the cover and I often ran fridge, A/C and fan just to keep it all exercised. I'm hoping the cover was a good investment. Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
I'm hoping the cover was a good investment. Bob
I think it will be, Bob. Anything to shield it from the direct sun will help alot. Ideally in AZ, you'd want it under a roofed structure, but the cover is the next best thing.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #31

We have a cover but it is a lot of trouble to put on. In winter it would be stuck to the trailer with the snow and ice. Later when we do not have it in a snow and ice area, we may use the cover some. But we would not want to use it unless in storage for a long time. Not interested in removing it and recovering the trailer many times in a season. And we have been on the road many months of a year so could not use it much of the time.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #32

Quote:
...................., but the gel coat still gets very hot under the cover. I................. I'm hoping the cover was a good investment. Bob
Bob,
My unexpert opinion (½ cents or so!).
I've been pondering your comment about the gelcoat getting hot.
-The Calmark cover is made of Sunbrella fabric, which is breathe-able, so the gelcoat temp. should not be much different than the outside air temp. (Indeed, the temperature may be higher if the trailer was inside an enclosed uninsulated garage.)
-I presume that ETI uses polyester gelcoat, similar to that used on a lot of aircraft finishes. It is a thermosetting plastic, so it should not be adversely affected by the expected temperatures.
-The Calmark cover blocks most of the solar radiation. Our 150W. solar array still shows a few Watts (not much) generated with the cover on.
I think you'll find that you have a good solution to the solar radiation and heat problem.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Aerospace 303 ???

There are at least 12 strains of the 303.

https://www.goldeagle.com/products?f[0]=field_product_brand%3A9&page=1

It's like the shampoo aisle at Walmart.

The manufacturers site says apply every 3-5 weeks for maximum protection.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's what we use: (#30313 Aerospace Protectant)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=aero+30313

It is for: "vinyl, plastics, polyethylene, synthetic and natural rubber, PVC and other composite resins, powder-coated metal, gel coat, fiberglass, stainless steel, and more"; "not for unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics (canvas), or flooring."

It is by Gold Eagle Co. (303 Products): (www.303products.com)

We get it by subscription using Amazon Prime. After 1½ years, we're just starting our 3rd 32 oz. bottle (we use it every time we wash the trailer).
Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Thats true. They had only 3 or so products until Gold Eagle took over. But, when I say 303 I'm talking only about the original Aerospace Protectant. Used it for several years before they rebranded and expanded their product line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #36

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Outside air temp in Mesa right now is 115 on Weather Underground, but my deck says 119 Using my infared temp gun, the temp on the sunbrella fabric in direct sunlight in 152. Gel coat temp directly underneath the fabric is 142. Inside air temp in the camper is 122. Humidity is 13% Yep, it gets toasty here in the valley of the sun!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Outside air temp in Mesa right now is 115 on Weather Underground, but my deck says 119 Using my infared temp gun, the temp on the sunbrella fabric in direct sunlight in 152. Gel coat temp directly underneath the fabric is 142. Inside air temp in the camper is 122. Humidity is 13% Yep, it gets toasty here in the valley of the sun!
See, the Sunbrella does keep the gel coat cool (by a whole 10°: wow ). That's an interesting set of data.

152° is the combination of heat transfer due to air temp., plus solar direct-beam radiation. If the fabric were white instead of grey, I bet that number would be a lot closer to just the outside air temp. I wonder if Calmark has considered a white version of their product?

But, I'm pretty well convinced that temp. is not the issue; UV is.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
WOW. This was just came into my Facebook feed from a Rollin' Oldies group where I'm a member.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
WOW. This was just came into my Facebook feed from a Rollin' Oldies group where I'm a member.
See, it was the outside air temperature plus the solar direct-beam radiation, as absorbed by the most-excellent black absorber (thanks to Max Planck), that brought the tire's internal temperature to a unacceptable level, thus increasing the pressure (thanks to Joseph Gay-Lussac). boom!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Storage when hot: we remove food and meds. Everything else can stay. Electronics are not harmed by the heat unless they're on and in-operation. (Circuit board manufacturing is via flow-soldering in an oven).
We leave the maxxfan vent and the kitchen awning window open a bit, always. Maximum inside-trailer temp. (according to our weather station in the trailer) was 110° (43°C). with no adverse consequences.
(If we were 25 mi. away, further inland, where Pat is, it would probably be 120°; still no problem.)
A few days almost 120 but a little under . If power went off , we just go sit in the pool . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote