High heat and Escape trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
High heat and Escape trailers

Just wondering what high Texas heat and a closed up Escape setting out in the sun does. Any precautions about that?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Just wondering what high Texas heat and a closed up Escape setting out in the sun does. Any precautions about that?
Crack a window and open the Maxx Fan slightly. We leave the awning style kitchen window open slightly. As for the heat, It won't really hurt it, but the UV sure does a number on the gelcoat and graphics over time. Keep it waxed and use 303 on the plastic bits. We keep ours currently in covered storage (storage space has a roof), and are building an enclosed RV garage on our new property. Don't care for what the southern sun does to RV's, fiberglass or not.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
might be worse if it was all aluminum sitting in the sun....throw food in , set the timer for a few minutes...bell rings...steak and potato done!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
While I'm not in Texas, it is getting rather toasty up here in the Seattle area. I'm in the process of removing anything and everything that might melt, mush or whatever in the heat. Including any medications, cough drops, food, face cream and all that sort of stuff. I won't be using the trailer for a month and I don't want it to go off during the time. I'm also removing any electronics that I can, including the lantern with batteries in it.

I also went through and opened up a bunch of the cabinet doors. I opened some windows earlier to let a breeze through and the rubber seal was rather hard to break open. I do need to put that 303 stuff on there and I knew I needed to. Probably tomorrow's chore, in the AM before it gets too hot.

Have fun!

Oh, during the day I do keep the windows closed and the blinds pulled down. Don't want any sun fade marks on the dinette fabric, my nifty pillows and/or bedding.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
While I'm not in Texas, it is getting rather toasty up here in the Seattle area.
70's and 80's. Sorry Laura, had to chuckle at this.

Quote:
I'm in the process of removing anything and everything that might melt, mush or whatever in the heat. Including any medications, cough drops, food, face cream and all that sort of stuff. I won't be using the trailer for a month and I don't want it to go off during the time. I'm also removing any electronics that I can, including the lantern with batteries in it.
Absolutely, unless you want a melted mess.

Quote:
during the day I do keep the windows closed and the blinds pulled down. Don't want any sun fade marks on the dinette fabric, my nifty pillows and/or bedding.
Good point. UV can fade even outdoor fabrics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's all what one is used to, right? We have been over 110F this past week and now at 10pm we finally have a cool spell of 84F! (Sacramento Airport delayed flights as there was buckling on the runway due to extreme heat-Ugh) I was raised in chilly San Francisco and when we moved to the Peninsula, I wasn't used to the 80's either!

Anyway, thank you all for the advice of the 303 Plastic Protectant. Would we use it on the front window's rock guard?
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
It's all what one is used to, right?
True!

And yes, you can use 303 on the rock guard. It will benefit the graphics more than the painted plastic.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Wondering about that, too. Even north there is some high heat but never had the trailer seem overly hot even though closed up and in sun. May have some shade on it in Texas. Was always using it in Texas and do expect to be in it frequently to get some air exchange even when not in use. I would think that you would be, too. Of course, all blinds closed. Nothing in there that would be affected by the heat. We keep Damp Rid containers when in extended storage and they do always collect water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We use 303 on the whole trailer including top of awning and on some of the plastic vent covers. No wax. Can't use 303 with wax. We have tire covers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #10

Trailer: August 2017 17b
What's 303 again?
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
What's 303 again?

303 Aerospace Cleaner,303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 products

UV protectant, but we like the nice low luster look of the stuff.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Does one have to remove electronics from the trailer when it's very hot ( or very cold) (Chicago does have both extremes) and parked on our driveway? I was hoping to have and keep a bunch in ours ( our microwave, tv, blu-ray player, induction cooktop, small Keurig, ...) We would of course remove food and such but really wanted to keep most of the things we need for trips all loaded in it and ready to go.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
Does one have to remove electronics from the trailer when it's very hot ( or very cold) (Chicago does have both extremes) and parked on our driveway? I was hoping to have and keep a bunch in ours ( our microwave, tv, blu-ray player, induction cooktop, small Keurig, ...) We would of course remove food and such but really wanted to keep most of the things we need for trips all loaded in it and ready to go.
I leave the electronics in the trailer year round unless I need something in the house. No problems encountered, yet.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
During storage, the only thing I take out of Ten Forward are batteries... not the dual 6vs though. But all batteries out of lanterns, flashlights, etc. Freezing kills them and it doesn't get hot enough inside to worry about heat... where I live!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We use 303 on the whole trailer including top of awning and on some of the plastic vent covers. No wax. Can't use 303 with wax. We have tire covers.
I find this interesting. I have put a total of 4 coats of wax on my trailer so far and it is my least favorable task. What are the pros/cons to using 303 on the whole trailer? Most of all, how did you come to the conclusion to use 303 instead of wax?
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We leave the electronics in the trailer now for almost 4 years . We live in Sunny California which can get pretty hot in the summer . The TV is just a inexpensive one and no problems . The only items we would remove any food , medicines etc. Really don't worry about electronics , and leave those items . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what you consider electronics. Most of the things you mentioned wouldn't be a problem. If we are talking small battery powered things, I'd remove those if storing the trailer in high heat for an extended period.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I find this interesting. I have put a total of 4 coats of wax on my trailer so far and it is my least favorable task. What are the pros/cons to using 303 on the whole trailer? Most of all, how did you come to the conclusion to use 303 instead of wax?
It's been discussed many times on the forum. Just Google search the site for 303 and you'll see what I mean.

303 does a great job protecting things from UV damage. But, it has to be reapplied more frequently. Since its just a spray bottle and liquid, application is quick.

If its used on the gelcoat, it won't produce the high sheen that a wax or a polish would, but it does protect the surface.

I prefer a marine polish on the fiberglass, so my routine is StarBrite on the gelcoat, and 303 on all the other stuff, particularly the graphics and any plastic parts.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
It's gonna be lots hotter than that this weekend. I hate the heat.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what you consider electronics. Most of the things you mentioned wouldn't be a problem. If we are talking small battery powered things, I'd remove those if storing the trailer in high heat for an extended period
Yep, battery operated stuff. should have been more specific.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
303 Aerospace Cleaner,303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 products

UV protectant, but we like the nice low luster look of the stuff.
Where can one buy this stuff in Canada? I've searched the web and didn't see any outlets that sell it.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote