Hitch Ball Height - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape, Tow: 2014 Ram 1500
Hitch Ball Height

The wife and I are finalizing our build list and would like to know what the ball hitch height is for the new generation 19 ft Escape for both the high lift axle vs without the high lift axle so we can finally resolve this choice.

By the way, I am pulling this with a 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 and will probably decide on this option based on these height measurements.

We would appreciate it if we get get some feedback from the community.

As always... Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
ETI can probably answer that best, particularly for the hi rise, at one point in time 19" was the number for the stock set up. I recommend you get an adjustable height, I have lowered mine a little for better towing to make mine nose down a tiny bit. But with an adjustable hitch you can raise or lower depending on your tongue weight. Also if you get air bags as some do it will impact "level" towing, again an adjustable hitch. I have maybe 6 non adjustable stingers in my possession from past trailers, all of them obsolete with the adjustable hitch.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
19" to the top of the ball, with the high lift axle it's 21.5"

But yeah, double checking with ETI is a good idea.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
19" to the top of the ball, with the high lift axle it's 21.5"
That difference makes perfect sense since the Dexter axle lift kit that is used is 2-5/8".
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

My wife just talked to Joldie at ETI and verified the 19" and 21.5" heights. Our receiver height is about 19". Of course the calculus changes based on many factors including tongue weight and truck suspension but I think we'll go without high lift for now. If needed we can always (for a price) add it later. I will definitely purchase the adjustable ball stinger probably from E Trailer. This forum is a wealth of information with some very nice people.

Thank you all so much.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerls View Post
My wife just talked to Joldie at ETI and verified the 19" and 21.5" heights. Our receiver height is about 19". Of course the calculus changes based on many factors including tongue weight and truck suspension but I think we'll go without high lift for now. If needed we can always (for a price) add it later. I will definitely purchase the adjustable ball stinger probably from E Trailer. This forum is a wealth of information with some very nice people.

Thank you all so much.
ETI has the adjustable stingers, Larry. They will match it to whatever hitch option you choose. They will set up and level your truck and trailer during your orientation. But as Jim says, when you leave the factory you will be traveling light, and “level” may change. Good choice on the adjustable stinger.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #7

Thanks Steve. I'll order it before we pick up the trailer.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The height of the trailer will change with load, but since any added load is small fraction of the empty trailer weight and the trailer suspension is quite stiff, there will be very little change in the trailer's height - there certainly shouldn't be as much as an inch of change.

What's more significant to hitch setup is that as the tongue weight is increased, the tug get pushed down, often changing much more than the trailer height change. That requires changing the ball mount drop or adjusting the WD system.

Fixed-height ball mounts are cheap. If you get two or even three to cover the possible range of heights, it will probably still cost less than an adjustable mount... and the fixed mounts usually allow the ball to be closer to the tug's bumper, which is better for towing stability. On the other hand, you can start with an adjustable mount and replace it with a lighter and simpler fixed mount when you have settled on a drop amount, keeping the adjustable one in case you ever need to tow a different trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks Brian:
We have several options to consider. I have become very aware that a level toe is important with two axles thanks to this forum. In addition, it's good to be aware that ball distance with respect to the bumper effects towing stability. Another variable to consider.

Thanks again.