Home safely but almost lost the trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimliGuy View Post
Like you we were towing the 5.0. We saw several card towing trailers that were having problems with the high winds but the 5.0 really handles them great. Did not see the incident at Drayton but there were several cars in ditch between Morris and Winnipeg. Nice to be back home but really missing the warm weather. I guess Escape will have to either postpone or cancel the rally. Like you we are in isolation but I have a heated shop so I can keep busy with projects.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I had my incident at Drayton about 5:40pm, the RVs in the ditch were well south of that. Glad you made it home safely. I thought we had a long drive from the GA/AL line (Columbus) but you came from the Keys, wow.

Hope you register for the MB rally in August (if it happens). There were two Escapes last year but one sold right after the rally as they bought a Bigfoot.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Having to return to Canada well before our planned April 17 date was a bummer. Arrived home to -10C and fresh snow but 58 km. from home jacknifed the trailer on the freeway in very icy conditions. Ended up facing the wrong way blocking both lanes but fortunately no traffic coming. Simply drove on the shoulder back to the entry ramp we'd just come on. I cannot see a scratch on the trailer but the corner at the belly band hit rear window frame and window shattered.

We crawled the rest of the way to the border and was never so glad to see Canada. Now on 14 day self isolation which we'd planned but the border guard told us we had to and handed out a pamphlet.
Thanks for the post Adrian. I am glad you and Beth are now home safe and sound.
I am sure it was terrifying, you can be thankful as it could have been a lot worse. We are thankful it wasn't!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
P.S. Adrian, Colleen and I are eager to hear Beth's version of this experience!! We will surely be LOL on that one.
Hope to see you in the near future
Old 03-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 ta
We got to the border about 5:00 so we’re just ahead of you. Roads were bad up to Niverville then suddenly changed to dry pavement and winds dropped.
You mentioned the MB rally... not aware of that one, can you give more details, thx
GimliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
We got to the border about 5:00 so we’re just ahead of you. Roads were bad up to Niverville then suddenly changed to dry pavement and winds dropped.
You mentioned the MB rally... not aware of that one, can you give more details, thx
I sent you a PM
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
So glad you are home safe and warm and that your accident was not worse!!!! God bless!!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
So glad that you and Beth are home safely to Canada! And glad that Bon Oeuf came through unscathed! Stay well!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
A slight squeeze on the camper's brake controller will get you out of most of those events.
Glad that you're home safely.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
A slight squeeze on the camper's brake controller will get you out of most of those events.
That helps if the trailer is swaying (which is unlikely with a 5.0TA), and if there is sufficient trailer tire traction that the braking is effective. In this case, it appears that the trailer was not swaying, and that lack of traction was the problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:

I would also like to know about this. I still might go to the Oshkosh airshow in late July, and if so I'd cross the border for a trailer rally.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... They say most accidents happen close to home, ...
I believe that's simply because most driving happens close to home. But still, glad you and Beth are both okay. It will be entertaining to hear Beth's version of the incident. Bring your camp chair and a tub of popcorn!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote