Honda Ridgeline towing Escape 19 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #61

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
That assumes the GCVWR is restricted because of engine horsepower and not some other factor like brakes or transmission.
Well, I was quoting the Honda owners manual when I said the vehicle loses 2% GCVWR per 1000 feet elevation. I'm not tossing my own 'rule of thumb' on here, I'm just referring to Honda's own specification.

Since elevation doesn't affect brakes or transmission, I'm assuming Honda limits their own GCVWR with elevation because of the loss of power.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Well, I was quoting the Honda owners manual when I said the vehicle loses 2% GCVWR per 1000 feet elevation. I'm not tossing my own 'rule of thumb' on here, I'm just referring to Honda's own specification.

Since elevation doesn't affect brakes or transmission, I'm assuming Honda limits their own GCVWR with elevation because of the loss of power.
Okay, thank you for the explanation. Yes, I agree since Honda specifies it, horsepower appears to be the restricting factor.

It is important for people to understand that while it is true for the Honda Ridgeline, it doesn't mean every vehicle's GCVWR gets reduced at altitude.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #63

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It is important for people to understand that while it is true for the Honda Ridgeline, it doesn't mean every vehicle's GCVWR gets reduced at altitude.

I know Honda and Ford often do this, and most other OEM's don't.

I have not gone and looked at Ford with their turbocharged engines, but plausibly those won't have an elevation restriction.

As always, consult the owners manual and door sticker for your own vehicle to really know what your limitations are.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #64

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I know Honda and Ford often do this, and most other OEM's don't.

I have not gone and looked at Ford with their turbocharged engines, but plausibly those won't have an elevation restriction.

As always, consult the owners manual and door sticker for your own vehicle to really know what your limitations are.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 19, honda, pulling., ridgeline, towing