How comfortable is the Escape dinette bed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
How comfortable is the Escape dinette bed?

We won't get our trailer until September, but when we finally get it, our adult daughter might come camping with us once in a while, as might the occasional friend.

I know bed comfort is a subjective matter, but could someone who has slept on the dinette bed of an Escape 19 (which I assume is similar to the 21') please tell me how comfortable is was, and how they would feel about doing it again.

Also, would it be possible to improve the dinette bed by adding a pillowtop, different cushions, or another enhancement? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have a 17B and the big table is our bed--we put a real good quality egg crate foam mattress on top of the cushions (princess and the pea felt every join) It is extremely comfortable to sleep.
If you had a small roll up foam I am sure that would help to not feel the joins from the cushions...
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We also have a 17b and keep the back dinette set up permanently as a double bed. With only the cushions that come with the trailer it is very firm/ hard and probably not very comfortable to sleep on. We use a memory foam topper and sleep on it for two months at a time while in Florida and find it very comfortable. So you will probably need something.
We had friends who slept on our GOUCHO bunk and found it very uncomfortable - so I think you would need something.
Kids would probably be ok without anything.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape
I have a 21 that I picked up on March 24. Since then I have spent 19 nights on the dinette bed. I have a 1-1/2" peice of foam on it and it is very comfortable. The foam rolls up and stores easily. I am 6' tall and weigh 214lbs and have all of the room I need. You should be fine.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Our dinette standard cushions are used every night and we sleep well. The question of comfort is highly individual, as you admit. Foam that starts hard softens over time and use. For occasional use, it is way more comfortable than a futon and most sofa beds I have endured as a guest. That being said, our next trailer will have a dedicated bed with real mattress.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19'
I've slept on the dinette cushions for years very comfortably. After 8 years in my trailer, I find I'm more comfortable with the addition of a closed cell foam pad - don't know whether the cushions are compressing or my hips are just getting stiffer ;-)
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I found them too hard for comfortable sleeping. Makes sense since they are designed to support a much smaller area (when sitting). I added a 2" topper which worked well until my doctor recommended a sloped bed. Now I have a permanent combination of a gym matt, sloped mattress & topper.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
With my 19's configuration (U shaped lounge area in lieu of the standard queen bed) I'm always sleeping on the cushions at either end of the trailer. I use a cot size Thermorest over the cushions where ever I lay my head down. They're very compact for storage when deflated, lightweight, and easy to adjust for your firmness preference, just add or remove air.