How do people use their shower / bathroom - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
When I purchased my Escape, I really thought about when I camp in the Smoky Mountain Nat’l. Park - no hook-ups or showers. Nothing better than a shower after a long, hot hike. With facilities that have showers, I’ll use theirs. It takes time to wipe down walls and floor. Also, I carry a 6 gallon carrier to empty grey tank. Might need to empty one 6 gallon full every 2-3 days. Also, with campgrounds with bathrooms, I’ll use their bathrooms for solids and the trailer for liquids - much easier to maintain the black tank.
This is pretty much what I do. I've rarely met a campground shower that I wouldn't use, but I'm not all that picky. When they are not available, the 21 shower is large enough to be useful, al least compared to the 17. Even dry camping at Quartzsite, the laundromat has showers (complete with shampoo, soap, washcloth & tower for $8.00. I usually shower while my clothes are in the dryer.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #22

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
There seems to be two camps here
1. Shower using your camper shower.
2. Shower using the campground facility
3. Going commando and cleaning up when necessary.
4. That was actually three and not two.
I'll give you one more: the sponge bath. I grew up in the 50's South, and Dad waited until the mid-60's to install air conditioning and a second shower. Thick towels could sour quickly, and as ours was a household of seven people with one bathtub/shower and one very small hot water heater, we learned from Mom how to "make do." She liked everything to be clean, fresh-smelling, and germ free so taught us to take sponge baths at least once a day in winter, more often in summer. I really enjoy a long hot shower when conserving water's not an issue but am glad to have learned the water-saving advantages of sponge bathing at an early age.

The method:
In between longer showers, which I take whenever the bathroom needs a thorough cleaning, I grab a thin white washcloth, Castile or other mild soap, and a small plastic bowl of warm-to-hot water. Starting at the face and using the least amount of soap needed, I move quickly downward, squeezing washcloth water out into the toilet often and swishing it in the warm water before has a chance to cool. Continuing on, I pay particular attention to sweaty, odiferous areas, then end at the folds between my toes. I squeeze out the dirty water, rinse the cloth a final time and wring again. I'm careful to see that the cloth is completely dry before tossing it into the hamper.

It's amazing how much one can accomplish using just a bit of water- which can be used one last time to flush the toilet, thereby saving space in a grey tank which fills up all too quickly. This method also reduces overall condensation; towels aren't needed for drying either the body or the bathroom walls. I keep a couple dozen of these thin washcloths on hand, as they weigh little, dry quickly, can be bleached whenever needed, and are replaced at minimal expense.

P.S. I bought this container for use in the kitchen in order to salvage gray water for the toilet. https://smile.amazon.com/Flow-month-...2502573&sr=8-2

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19’
Don’t know why one would change their bathing habits, why have a shower if you aren’t going to use it. A simple “navy shower” can stretch water while boondocking.
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I shower every day, sometimes twice a day and maybe 6 days a year three times. Both my brother and I sweat profusely. Once when he was delivering mail, his supervisor came out to check on him because a homeowner had called in that he must be near collapse. Once when a maintenance man and I were replacing a broken diving board bolt on a 95F day a kid went to a lifeguard for help. His comment “My dad says when anybody sweats that bad he’s going to die soon. I told the guard “That’s just the beer coming out”
In the packing house on the kill we would drop 10 to 12 lbs every night. So I gotta get cleaned up and usually shower at night but sometimes mid day if I work hard in the morning and if I get sweaty in the afternoon, I shower again before I go out at night, and if I get beered up and dance a little, well, three showers. I usually use the campground shower but on a trip a couple years ago showered in the Escape 17 out of 23 nights. Yes a big guy can shower in a 19 or a 21. But when I sing Pavarotti I cannot develop full volume. Paints a picture don’t it?
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 19’
�� made my evening.
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When in a campground with showers I use theirs. I use their toilets most of the time too. I just prefer the larger more efficient setups as well as the stroll to get there, often mixed with chatting with other campers.

That said, I do think many folks shower way more than needed, but this is their choice, it does not bother me at all. If I have worked up a big sweat I will head to the shower if there is one, otherwise I normally have 2 to 3 times a week is normal, on occasions a bit more when temperatures are hotter and I am doing lots of physical activity.

When boondocking we will shower once a week, but daily will take a sponge bath. One cup of hot water to wash with soap (having no hair helps there), and an rinse of the cloth to rinse off the body and all is good. Nice and clean.

I do use the shower in the trailer some, though not very much. Not against it, just see no need when a sponge bath is just as fast, saves water and keeps the grey tank less empty.

Our main reason for wanting a bathroom is the toilet, especially for nighttime trips. I am glad we have a shower for when we do really need it. The sink now, sure wish I had of left it out as first planned, as it very rarely gets used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #27

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Don’t know why one would change their bathing habits, why have a shower if you aren’t going to use it. A simple “navy shower” can stretch water while boondocking.
Much depends upon how many people are using the facilities, how long one wants to remain out while boondocking and how much one wants to reduce condensation and dump times. I love having the indoor shower available for full-out use but find navy showers in my 17B to be the worst of all possibilities - downright irritating. The sponge bath works well for me most of the time and will work great when my sister and I go boondocking, as her camping and showering habits match mine. I'll boondock less when my daughter's on board, as she'll definitely want full-on showers. We'll all enjoy the outdoor shower, particularly to wash off beach sand before coming inside. Thankfully, we all have options - and the option to use each of them when and as we wish!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We use the outdoor shower much more than the indoor, mainly to wash hair. I did use the trailer bath once to bring steaks to room temp while keeping them out of range of the beagle.
Attached Thumbnails
steaks - 1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If the campground showers are clean and well maintained (a simple glance will tell us usually), we use those. Otherwise, we use the shower in the trailer, with an Oxygenics RV Spa showerhead, and we love it.

Even boondocking, we can take back to back "navy" style showers and have plenty of hot water left over. We also take along a tote with wheels and a portable hand pump for refilling if there is a water bib nearby.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
From my observations/ experience it seems that FG trailer owners are a rather conservative group when it comes to power usage , water usage and waste generation.
We camp with a group of individuals who own large 5th wheels and class A motor homes
We have a 28 gallon fresh water tank on our trailer , they have 80 to 100 gallon fresh water tanks on their trailers yet we both seem to run out of fresh water at the same time
Just seems strange to me , maybe it’s the loooong showers .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #31

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We boil a liter of water (from a nearby campground faucet if possible) and mix it with another liter of water (also from the campground faucet) in a tub. Then get in the shower with a small towel and wet ourselves down and use soap. After soaping we pour the rest of the tub over our heads. Finally we use our Oxygenics RV shower head for about 45 seconds to rinse off. So far our longest stay without refilling our fresh water is two weeks. Works for us.

If the campground has showers I take our Mr Heater Buddy and ignite it as soon as I close the door. When I get out, the shower room is nice and toasty. We camp in the shoulder seasons and the Buddy makes quite a difference.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
why have a shower if you aren’t going to use it.

Another use for a shower, not yet mentioned, is as a wet locker - a place to hang wet rain gear or swim suits, or whatever. We use all the features of our onboard bathroom, and also have a clothesline permanently affixed in there.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
From my observations/ experience it seems that FG trailer owners are a rather conservative group when it comes to power and water usage and waste generation.
We camp with a group of individuals who own large 5th wheels and class A motor homes
We have a 28 gallon fresh water tank on our trailer , they have 80 to 100 gallon fresh water tanks on their trailers yet we both seem to run out of fresh water at the same time
Just seems strange to me , maybe it’s the loooong showers .
My observations are similar, from the smaller fibreglass owners to those with the big RVs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #34

Trailer: 5th wheel 2015
I (Mena or DW) always look for at least a wet bath when shopping for trailers. Although that may change, it is one of the bare necessities at this stage in my camping/traveling life.

We are often at Thousand Trails campgrounds though. When we are, we use the campground bath-house. When we’re dry camping, we mainly take sponge baths in the shower (with the oxygenics shower head) to conserve water and every other day I’ll wash my hair.

DH is much more low maintenance but I think he’s happy with this arrangement too.

To give a little background I’ve tent camped a few times in the past (and even scooped and pooped a time or two), but this is my 3rd year living the RV life. DH tent camped once before (with me). He never dreamed of the RV life before meeting me but now loves it.

Ah, the sacrifices one makes for love. 😁
DoriandMena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I don’t like adding moisture in the trailer either by cooking or the shower. We mostly use campground facilities, maybe just because I’m a big guy and like more space.

When we use the campground facilities, I take my shower kit. 2 ice cream buckets, one buckets hold my soap and shampoo etc, the other bucket is for rinsing the shower stall. They fit in each other and have handles.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Use ours all the time, hookups or boondocking. Added accumulator tank and Oxygenics showerhead, great shower with hookups or not.
We prefer not to use the public campground showers to our setup, and can’t remember last time we used the public ones.
Hello - Which Oxygenics showerhead model did you opt for. I see that there are several. We are shortly to pickup our new Escape 21 and it seems that folks really like the Oxygenics. Easy to install? Thanks for your help. Henk
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Hello - Which Oxygenics showerhead model did you opt for. I see that there are several. We are shortly to pickup our new Escape 21 and it seems that folks really like the Oxygenics. Easy to install? Thanks for your help. Henk
Same as Greg . But now rarely use campground restrooms which we use to do . 2 years ago at campground slipped and took a hard fall on their tile and was seriously injured . They are not like home for sure . Rather use my own bath . I will take a picture for you and what we have and we also use at home . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
9FB256D4-99F6-43BC-8FE0-BEF04A743C61a.jpg   6D0656D5-F98D-40E3-9DEC-D60366DC1287a.jpg   8DA70FAD-EDCF-4BCE-8D3B-C09A2ED2D43Fa.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Same as Greg . But now rarely use campground restrooms which we use to do . 2 years ago at campground slipped and took a hard fall on their tile and was seriously injured . They are not like home for sure . Rather use my own bath . I will take a picture for you and what we have and we also use at home . Pat
Sorry pics are sideways ! Pat

Fixed... Donna D.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Sorry pics are sideways ! Pat

Fixed... Donna D.
Thankyou Donna ! Pat
Old 02-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #40

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Except for our shower at home, or friend's showers that I determine are safe, I ALWAYS wear Crocs to any other shower so I won't slip. I don't want to be another senior with a broken hip.

Enjoy,

Perry