How do people use their shower / bathroom - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
How do people use their shower / bathroom

I have noticed some people seem to not use their shower. People that use RV parks, as far as i can tell, seem to favor using the showers in the facility rather than their camper.

The shower is why we bought the camper (at least at first). My wife will go anywhere with me, if I can give her a shower in the morning.

Taking into consideration that dry camping with only 28 gallons of water may not allow anything but very short showers, I am curious how people use their shower when they have a fresh water and gray water hookup.

Do you guys use your showers every day?

Do you limit your time in the shower, even with a hook up?

When tent camping.

When we camp by a stream or water source, I carry a Zodi pump, shower enclosure and two 5 gallon buckets and we fill them up with hot water and place them right outside the outside shower enclosure. Everybody has a 10 gallon hot shower. In privacy, outside. We just keep heating up water. That works pretty good, but I don't want to set it up all the time.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Use ours all the time, hookups or boondocking. Added accumulator tank and Oxygenics showerhead, great shower with hookups or not.
We prefer not to use the public campground showers to our setup, and can’t remember last time we used the public ones.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve owned three different FG trailers over the last ten years and have never used the shower in anyone of them
We use the campground’s showers and on occasion the outside shower
I tend to shower every other day when camping unless engaged in some strenuous activity or it is extremely hot and humid
If we are camping near a creek , river , pond or lake , we just jump in and rinse off
No need for hot water
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
My wife and I prefer to use the trailer shower to using a public one. We know how clean and germ free the shower is in the trailer - public one, not so much.

The hot water does get a little cooler towards the end of the second shower. To minimize that, we turn on both electric and propane at the same time while showering and the hot water heater supplies continuous hot water.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Being clean is over rated. With a good sense for wind direction, you can easily go for months between showers.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Using baby wipes for a quick cleaning will help extend your water supply. And you will need less lotion to replace skin oil if you don’t shower ever day.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #7

I suppose smelling is overrated too!

Just kidding Dave.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nancy takes a Navy shower in there. Though I have never used the trailer shower I've said it before but, since you asked, I will say again - that my policy on taking showers is very strict: I make it a point to always shower every 30 days, if I need it or not.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
For us it is situational. If we are in a campground, my wife scopes out the facility and decides if she wants to use them or not and responds accordingly. Most of the time we choose Electric and water over full hookups, so our biggest limitation is grey tank capacity vs length of stay. If it is a concern, we alternate days, she showers one day, I the next.

We extend grey tank capacity by dumping our dishwashing water down the toilet. We also use a squeegee on the shower walls after use and have a dedicated wipe down towel. With the bath fan on, and the window cracked open, these steps keeps condensation in the trailer to a minimum.

If traveling cross country, I plan a mix of dry camping and hookups to manage water / waste water use / comfort at minimal costs.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Use ours all the time, hookups or boondocking. Added accumulator tank and Oxygenics showerhead, great shower with hookups or not.
We prefer not to use the public campground showers to our setup, and can’t remember last time we used the public ones.
Exactly as Greg does, everyday , and the same having a accumulator tank and Oxygenics shower head . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
For us it is situational. If we are in a campground, my wife scopes out the facility and decides if she wants to use them or not and responds accordingly. Most of the time we choose Electric and water over full hookups, so our biggest limitation is grey tank capacity vs length of stay. If it is a concern, we alternate days, she showers one day, I the next.

We extend grey tank capacity by dumping our dishwashing water down the toilet. We also use a squeegee on the shower walls after use and have a dedicated wipe down towel. With the bath fan on, and the window cracked open, these steps keeps condensation in the trailer to a minimum.

If traveling cross country, I plan a mix of dry camping and hookups to manage water / waste water use / comfort at minimal costs.
Yup do the same with dumping grey down the toilet . Saves on fresh water and not filling grey so fast .
Also the bath window cracked , fan on and a wipe down , dries bath pretty good . Pat
Old 02-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But generally speaking, dermatologists recommend no more than one shower a day, notwithstanding extenuating circumstances. And while an estimated two-thirds of all Americans shower daily, as it turns out, for some people showering every other day or even twice a week may be the healthier way to go.Dec 9, 2019

How Often Should You Shower? - Verywell Health

www.verywellhealth.com › how-often-should-you-shower-4154629
Old 02-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Like Steve says, showering is superfluous with cg showers. I remove the shower hose and store it away. The toilet is mainly used for liquid waste and normally at night only.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We boondock a lot and really appreciate the ability to take even a minimal shower in the trailer after a long day of hiking. When we are in extreme conservation mode we fill a gatorade bottle with soapy water and use it to wash up, then just use the shower for a quick rinse - takes very little water but makes a huge difference if you're hot and sweaty.

When there are campground showers we usually use those and luxuriate under a long hot shower. If your site has a full hookup you can take lengthy showers in the trailer, five gallons of hot water goes a long way.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
when we have to use our shower we use it every other day and just wash up at the sink the other day. Shower amounts to get wet, turn off at shower head, soap up or do hair, turn back on water to rinse , repeat as needed.

We use 6 gallons on a shower day, 3 on non shower days.

Last person in the shower gets to dry it afterwards.

been on the road 6 weeks at the moment, have yet to use onboard shower. We've had full hookups most of the time.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But generally speaking, dermatologists recommend no more than one shower a day, notwithstanding extenuating circumstances. And while an estimated two-thirds of all Americans shower daily, as it turns out, for some people showering every other day or even twice a week may be the healthier way to go.Dec 9, 2019

How Often Should You Shower? - Verywell Health

www.verywellhealth.com › how-often-should-you-shower-4154629
You sound like my brothers Glenn ! When we retire at night we want to go to bed clean and it keeps the bed kind of clean too and the trailer not stinky . We just do a navy shower because we even have to conserve water at home . We won’t change no matter what the experts have to say ! Pat
Old 02-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From VOX:
Right now, there are thousands of mites on your face. They're microscopic, but closely related to spiders and ticks. And despite your reaction to hearing this news, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you.
"99.9 percent of humans carry them," says Ron Ochoa, a mite scientist at the US Department of Agriculture. They're most abundant on our faces, but live in the hair follicles all over our bodies, and a single person may harbor more than one million of them in total.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I refuse to pass that on to my wife.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You sound like my brothers Glenn ! When we retire at night we want to go to bed clean and it keeps the bed kind of clean too and the trailer not stinky . We just do a navy shower because we even have to conserve water at home . We won’t change no matter what the experts have to say ! Pat
See this is what I was thinking. When I first brought my portable shower out to my whitewater group on a beach on the Main fork of the Salmon, EVERYONE STARTED TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

They asked me to set it up every day. Everybody raved about getting in their tents clean. I think there was some adult tent action directly because of it. At the end of the trip (82 miles) they held a river meeting just to thank me for bringing it. Several women came up to me privately and thanked me. One had MS and REALLY needed the help.

I like being clean!

There seems to be two camps here
1. Shower using your camper shower.
2. Shower using the campground facility
3. Going commando and cleaning up when necessary.
4. That was actually three and not two.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I purchased my Escape, I really thought about when I camp in the Smoky Mountain Nat’l. Park - no hook-ups or showers. Nothing better than a shower after a long, hot hike. With facilities that have showers, I’ll use theirs. It takes time to wipe down walls and floor. Also, I carry a 6 gallon carrier to empty grey tank. Might need to empty one 6 gallon full every 2-3 days. Also, with campgrounds with bathrooms, I’ll use their bathrooms for solids and the trailer for liquids - much easier to maintain the black tank.