How Do You 5.0 Owners Carry Long Boats? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
We haven't totally tossed this idea with our new 5.0, yet. However we have Wilderness Systems 10 ft kayaks. They behave as longer boats via drop down "Skegs" and carry up to 400lbs.
The theory is using one ladder type rack immediately behind the cab on the bed and one bar on the cab roof, mounting everything more forward.

Also, like the US Rack 5th wheel rack.

https://usrack.com/c-1174377-5th-wheel-truck-rack.html

Have to wait and measure things when we get the 5.O. May resort to inflatables. Will see.
Looking at the photos on that site, not sure how those expensive '5th wheel racks' would be any better than a pair of standard racks mounted on the cab roof.

I've got a nice set of racks I used with my '98 Chevy 1500 passenger van, but they use roof gutters, and the new trucks don't have them. This is progress?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
There are top and front hitch racks that can transport long kayaks and canoes. This is not a photo or our TV as I use a single roof rack along with a front receiver hitch rack for our kayaks. The photo is simply depicting a canoe with an 'over the hood' transportation method.Click image for larger version

Name:	canoe rack.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	60721
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you mount a rack on the truck bed and one on the cab, you risk damaging your boats as you traverse rough terrain. The cab can twist in one direction and the bed in the other.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
we carry 17 and 18 foot canoes and kayaks on bed mounted racks towing our E19 but i have to place them further forward than normal. If I had a 5.0 i would do inflatibles or use a front rack mounted to a front receiver or a custom bumper.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you mount a rack on the truck bed and one on the cab, you risk damaging your boats as you traverse rough terrain. The cab can twist in one direction and the bed in the other.
Do you really think the twisting effect from being tied down on the truck would be more severe than the twisting that a fully loaded canoe will experience carrying two paddlers in rough water? I have had canoes wrapped around rocks and spring back into shape. I would be willing to risk tying them down to the cab and bed of a truck. (However, I do use a boat trailer for my canoes so this does not seem to be a real issue for me!)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have had canoes wrapped around rocks and spring back into shape.
Cedar strip?
Buddy had his Royalex canoe wrap around a rock. Besides busting the gunnels, the Royalex stretched in places.
Go ahead, if you wish.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Kayak/canoes

My buddy transports his kayaks regularly with his large non-Escape trailer with an overcab rack. While I think the support pole and cables would be a distraction looking through the windshield, he says he’s used to it. I don’t think it’s very attractive but if it’s an important part of your travels, I guess you do what you have to do! I’ve seen fisherman use the same setup mainly because they have a atv in the back of their truck box and need the rack to carry supplies and a small boat.
Attached Thumbnails
097BD50F-48B7-4038-A7B7-2AFAF9304FC8.jpeg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Kayak/canoes

My buddy transports his kayaks regularly with his large non-Escape trailer with an overcab rack. While I think the support pole and cables would be a distraction looking through the windshield, he says he’s used to it. I don’t think it’s very attractive but if it’s an important part of your travels, I guess you do what you have to do! I’ve seen others use the same setup mainly because they have an ATV in the back of their truck box and need the rack to carry supplies and a small boat.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #49

Carrying a boat

We were whitewater rafters for many years. You can’t carry a raft on a 5.0, so next trick. If you like to flatwater kayak, which we also like to do you can build a kayak that splits in 3 pieces. Chesapeake Lightcraft make a kit where you can build a 13’ kayak that bolts together. You can carry it IN your 5.0. The total weight is 39 lbs. easy to carry and very stable. If you don’t like to build, find a friend. Fun activity. Picture follows.
Attached Thumbnails
48787682-BB34-43A8-B0B1-29B5EFF8C281.jpg  
Connie and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Old woman's Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It appears that Bill Mason's Path of the Paddle series is now available for free streaming at:
https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_basic/

Along with 3 others, I was once "winded in" on the point off of Old Woman's Bay, Lake Superior, where Bill Mason capsized in one of his videos. It was not a good place to end up in the drink, or be storm bound. We saw 50 mph winds and water devils.....all part of a warm front moving in, but no storms and clear skies. Memorable place.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I was thinking that if I bought a pickup truck I could expand the hens'-teeth universe of used Escapes by including the fifth-wheel 5.0. But we have a 16' canoe that we like to carry on the roof of our tow vehicle (currently a 2013 Ford Expedition). Seems like that might be hard to center on a pickup cab and still avoid the front of the 5.0.

I posed the question over on the FGRV forum, and one respondent suggested a rack that could mount in a front receiver. Certainly should be possible, but I've never seen anyone doing it. How do owners here manage it?
Hi from S VT! I paddle a Placid Boatworks Spitfire. It goes on a rack on the roof of my truck, no clearance issues with the 5.0 TA. It is 12 ft long and will carry me and all my stuff for a multi day trips. It can handle pretty good waves and wind...not like an 18 ft sea kayak but pretty good. It is 18 lbs so easy to get on and off of the truck, easy to get in and out of and it paddles like a kayak. Best boat I have ever owned. There are always compromises...the key is do you use it?! For me the answer is yes! Short paddles in the afternoon check, multi-day paddles in the Adirondacks check. Hey this looks like a neat place to paddle for an hour check!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Hi from S VT! I paddle a Placid Boatworks Spitfire. It goes on a rack on the roof of my truck, no clearance issues with the 5.0 TA. It is 12 ft long and will carry me and all my stuff for a multi day trips. It can handle pretty good waves and wind...not like an 18 ft sea kayak but pretty good. It is 18 lbs so easy to get on and off of the truck, easy to get in and out of and it paddles like a kayak. Best boat I have ever owned. There are always compromises...the key is do you use it?! For me the answer is yes! Short paddles in the afternoon check, multi-day paddles in the Adirondacks check. Hey this looks like a neat place to paddle for an hour check!
Howdy I&S— We almost always go out together in the canoe, so I don't think a 12-footer would do. I would guess 14 minimum (our canoes are 15 and 16). Neat canoes, though; they do make a tandem, but it is 17'.

Are you an Escape Ambassador? We might like to look at your 5.0 sometime, though we looking for a 21 at this point (no pickup).