How Do You 5.0 Owners Carry Long Boats? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
How Do You 5.0 Owners Carry Long Boats?

I was thinking that if I bought a pickup truck I could expand the hens'-teeth universe of used Escapes by including the fifth-wheel 5.0. But we have a 16' canoe that we like to carry on the roof of our tow vehicle (currently a 2013 Ford Expedition). Seems like that might be hard to center on a pickup cab and still avoid the front of the 5.0.

I posed the question over on the FGRV forum, and one respondent suggested a rack that could mount in a front receiver. Certainly should be possible, but I've never seen anyone doing it. How do owners here manage it?
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I will say that carrying boats regularly is the #1 reason we have an E-19 and not a 5.0. That said, I think what you propose could work for a single canoe, but it's going to look pretty goofy.

I will also say I don't think I've seen anyone doing it. But there are boat supports that are intended to mount into a 2" receiver. They typically go on the back of a car, but I guess you could do a front receiver and use it to hold the front of a boat.

A typical 1/2 ton, CCSB is 230 inches long. If you leave the back 5' of the truck clear for the 5.0, then you would have the boat overhanging the front of the vehicle by 2'. That's not too crazy.

You will need a truck with a fairly high cargo capacity. Watch that closely as the 5.0 and hitch alone add up to a lot of weight on the truck. Then you have boats, racks, etc.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb a graphic depiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
... Seems like that might be hard to center on a pickup cab and still avoid the front of the 5.0...
Methinks you're correct, attached FYI is a bit of quick fun with MS Paint (to proper relative scale)

Obviously the 'rear overhang' situation gets even worse with a shorter SuperCab; a 6.5 ft or 8 ft box would help a bit insofar as the 5.0 (lack of) clearance, but don't forget about turning

Just for your consideration, I'll let you draw your own conclusions, Have Fun!

PS - folks wanting complete F150 dimensional data for many years and configurations, the Body Builder's Layout Books can be downloaded here
Attached Thumbnails
16 ft on an F150 crew cab.jpg  
Old 01-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In the past I have canoed lots. Many multi-day trips. When we had the 19 I would carry a canoe on the tow vehicle.

This became a problem, at least created a situation we were not happy with, and that was on extended trips. Lots of time we were not in a place we could use it and it either had it constantly on the tow, or we would have to dismount it an let it lay around at the campsite.

Even before we went to the 5.0TA I had chosen to buy the Sea Eagle inflatable Travel Canoe 16. Easily stores in the pickup bed and when needed is quick to get ready. We love this solution.

https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In the past I have canoed lots. Many multi-day trips. When we had the 19 I would carry a canoe on the tow vehicle.

This became a problem, at least created a situation we were not happy with, and that was on extended trips. Lots of time we were not in a place we could use it and it either had it constantly on the tow, or we would have to dismount it an let it lay around at the campsite.

Even before we went to the 5.0TA I had chosen to buy the Sea Eagle inflatable Travel Canoe 16. Easily stores in the pickup bed and when needed is quick to get ready. We love this solution.

Have to say, our Wenonah canoe can also be a pain, as it blocks the stupid power hatchback on the Expy from fully opening, which the hatch doesn't like. And even though the canoe is only 50 pounds (Kevlar) it's an awkward business getting it on and off the TV. There was a day when we used stools and lifted two aluminum canoes on top of a full-sized van, but these days we find even the lighter canoe and the lower Expy presents difficulties.

So I am really intrigued by your inflatable canoe! I've seen inflatable kayaks, but didn't know anyone made such canoes. How does it handle gravel, sharp rocks, and prickers? We tend to explore swampy backwaters, and sometimes beach on less-than-ideal ground. Would not like to puncture our hull!

Also, at 65 pounds, seems rather heavy—but maybe that's how it can keep safe from sharp stuff. In any case, we'll look into it.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:

I second this solution, and the Sea Eagle brand specifically. I'm a big paddleboarder, and I've been RV'ing with a 12'6" Sea Eagle inflatable board for 6 years now. Love it. Does it perform as good as a hard board? No, none of the inflatables do...but the convenience and portability factors make up for its minor performance deficiencies. They've been making inflatable boats for over 50 years, and their warranty is top notch. Worth every penny in my book.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #7

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Lynn,

I spoke this member when they were selling or wanting to trade their Escape 5th wheel, the reason for the switch to a 19 or a 21, he wanted to bring his canoe.

Shawn

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...0-a-21845.html
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
We have a smaller sea eagle ocean kayak and really like it. Sits in the backseat like a passenger secured by the seatbelt.

But we are very amateur paddlers. Just use it occasionally. Lots of fun and very stable.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So I am really intrigued by your inflatable canoe! I've seen inflatable kayaks, but didn't know anyone made such canoes. How does it handle gravel, sharp rocks, and prickers? We tend to explore swampy backwaters, and sometimes beach on less-than-ideal ground. Would not like to puncture our hull!

Also, at 65 pounds, seems rather heavy—but maybe that's how it can keep safe from sharp stuff. In any case, we'll look into it.
It is extremally tough, and rated for up to Class IV rapids. On moving water it really is great. On flat water I attach the included skeg and though far from the performance of my 17.5' Swift tripping canoe it still does great. A fun craft for exploring as it is super stable. In doing practice dumping and getting back in it is incredible that you get back into a canoe with no water in it as it is real easy to clear all the water from it.

It is a bit heavy. I do ensure I set it up close to the water though can carry it on my shoulders with not much trouble. I have considered using my canoe cart with it but have yet to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
It is extremally tough, and rated for up to Class IV rapids. On moving water it really is great. On flat water I attach the included skeg and though far from the performance of my 17.5' Swift tripping canoe it still does great. A fun craft for exploring as it is super stable. . .
I had never heard the term 'skeg'. Looked it up; a fin, not a rudder, to serve in lieu of a keel? We know how to paddle in a straight line, so can't see a need. But if it helps with stability, that could be a plus; our Wenonah is a bit tippy. Our aluminum canoes are not; in fact, our original Browning Marine canoe has a keel, about 1", and is wide anyway, so a bit of a barge. Great for carrying gear, if you're camping out of it (which we haven't done in many years now). Our Grumman has a bracket for a motor, though we've never used one.

Thanks for the info; learn something new every day!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #11

As skeg is nice to have on a kayak if you are paddling into very strong winds.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
I had never heard the term 'skeg'. Looked it up; a fin, not a rudder, to serve in lieu of a keel? We know how to paddle in a straight line, so can't see a need.
A skeg on any kayak, but especially on inflatables, will help with tracking and reduce the frustration of doing nothing but zig-zagging across flat water when you’re trying to go straight.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
A skeg on any kayak, but especially on inflatables, will help with tracking and reduce the frustration of doing nothing but zig-zagging across flat water when you’re trying to go straight.
Ah, but we are canoe paddlers. We know how to steer in a straight line.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Ah, but we are canoe paddlers. We know how to steer in a straight line.

Usually just putting the heavier person in the bow, or arranging the load correctly will do it in a canoe.

Funny story, I was on a bluff once over a local lake on a very windy day. Saw a guy alone in a canoe paddling backwards upwind. It looked very slow. I'm surprised it never occurred to him to just move to the front seat.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:22 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Usually just putting the heavier person in the bow, or arranging the load correctly will do it in a canoe.

Funny story, I was on a bluff once over a local lake on a very windy day. Saw a guy alone in a canoe paddling backwards upwind. It looked very slow. I'm surprised it never occurred to him to just move to the front seat.
Paddling alone you're better off closer to the middle.

Usually the one in the stern steers. Have to know how to do the J-stroke.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Paddling alone you're better off closer to the middle.

Usually the one in the stern steers. Have to know how to do the J-stroke.
I'm quite aware, I spend weeks paddling backcountry most summers.

The middle of the boat is wide, and in my case usually full of all my gear. But anyway, the main thing is in a canoe you cannot go upwind into a strong wind if the bow is sitting higher in the water than the stern. The boat will weathervane around endlessly. The guy I was watching had kind of figured out his problem, but his solution looked very difficult to me.
Attached Thumbnails
JGG08135.jpg  
Old 01-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Never try to help somebody paddle a canoe properly. Everyone thinks they know how. Let them sit in the stern with the bow three feet off the water.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm quite aware, I spend weeks paddling backcountry most summers.

The middle of the boat is wide, and in my case usually full of all my gear. But anyway, the main thing is in a canoe you cannot go upwind into a strong wind if the bow is sitting higher in the water than the stern. The boat will weathervane around endlessly. The guy I was watching had kind of figured out his problem, but his solution looked very difficult to me.
True. There are usually two of us in the boat, so we don't have that problem. Just avoiding getting broadside to the wind can be tricky, though.

Seems as though kayaks have become much more popular than canoes. Most of the people we see out on the rivers and lakes are kayakers. My wife has a back problem that makes the kayaking position uncomfortable, so we stick to canoes. Still have the Browning Marine we bought with our wedding money in 1973.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've owned a kayak ( river boat - no rudder or skeg ), but I'll stick to my canoes. I can sit, kneel or stand and I can move forward or aft, depending what is required for a comfortable paddle.
Highly recommend Bill Mason's "Path of the Paddle" series (books or video). Covers solo and doubles whitewater and still water, basics and advanced.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:37 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've owned a kayak ( river boat - no rudder or skeg ), but I'll stick to my canoes. I can sit, kneel or stand and I can move forward or aft, depending what is required for a comfortable paddle.
Highly recommend Bill Mason's "Path of the Paddle" series (books or video). Covers solo and doubles whitewater and still water, basics and advanced.
I'm usually in the bow, with my camera(s), and wife in the stern, steering. Out on the river a couple of months ago with grandkids, discovered I was kinda rusty sitting/kneeling in the stern and steering.