How do you camp? Boondocking or campgrounds? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking CG or not?

WE mostly camp in campgrounds, if available. Our best boonie trip was to VT in 2018..camped in our Casita Indy 17', 3 weeks at Button Bay State Park on Lake Champlain..about 5 miles down lake from my sister's summer home. Cool place and no electric or water, but had a nice lean-to for the kids to set up their big tent. There was a bathouse w pay showers and toilets and water, but we had to haul water about 400 yds. WE did ok w the solar and the occasional use of the generator, but didn't need the AC bks it was VT in July..cool at night.
I guess I am 'over' boondocking..we did that for 10 years back when I was an Asst Scoutmaster ;-) and 30 yrs younger LOL

To each his own.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We would like to do more boondocking than we do but my wife always worries we will get rousted in the middle of the night for camping in a place we shouldn't. My attitude is "oh well" but that doesn't fly with her. Lots of nice state campgrounds here in new england however.
One of our favorite sites is an Army Corps of Engineers camp ground, Winhall Brook, in S Londonderry, VT. A few water and electric sites but most without. Very spacious sites and the brook runs right through the middle of it.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
By the way, the best onion rings I've ever had were at what looked like a dump in Blanding, UT - The Patio Drive In.
I second the Patio. Great burgers too.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Angry Boondocking

Boondocking seems like a lot of fun until one reads stuff like this:
Old 04-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Bad things can happen anywhere, one has to maintain situational awareness and be prepared. I think that in general the less populated the area the safer you are.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I boondock 90% of the time. I have 200amps of battery and 200 watts of solar...never had a power problem. Love the 12" portable dc fan for warmer days. I also fill 2 5 gal jugs with drinking water and fill the trailer for showers and stuff. I just guess what is a safe place and make sure I have either cell or ham radio coverage.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
A big thank you to everyone that shared their comments. As a soon to be 5.0 owner (May ?), I can’t wait for things to get back to somewhat normal, if there will be such a thing, so I can enjoy boondocking many of the places mentioned here on this forum. Looking forward to meeting some of you at one of the rallies someday. Be safe!

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Didn't read the entire thread but I separate "dry camping" which I do a lot from "boon docking" which I never do.

Boondocking to me is camping out at an unstructured location with no facilities. Dry camping you sometimes have an assigned spot (state or national park), sometimes not (like Walmart, etc.). but you will always have access to bathrooms. Access to a bathroom is on our must have list, even if it is just a pit toilet.

When I am traveling to (or returning from) a destination, my dry camping tends to be either Cracker Barrel, Walmart, or a truck stop (less often). When I arrive at my destination, most of the time I am dry camping in a state or national park, although I have a few favorite destinations with hookups. On the way home, I usually push the miles, its time to get home!

One thing I like about the highway/dry camp overnights is it is very efficient. No driving miles away from the highway finding a campsite, no backing into a site, hooking up, no finding the bathroom code, and so on. Instead, I can travel the full day, into the evening really, making really good time. Then I stop for the evening and repeat the next day. On really long trips like our trip to AK, I added multi-night stops every 4 days or so, staying in a campground. Typically that would be a state or provincial park.

Most of our camping trips are longer distance, 7,500 miles to 12,000 miles. We will time a stop at a commercial campground when its laundry time.

I will do short solo trips with my Trillium, almost always dry camping as well.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
This wasn’t boondocking. It was misleading that they called it a campsite. A family purchased 16 acres in Texas and a deranged relative of the original land owners was apparently upset about the sale. Something like this shouldn’t keep people from camping in and enjoying remote areas.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Boondocking to me is camping in wild areas no wlec, water at site...maybe water us down the road.
Definitely not in a cg either just no water.or elec.
That said. I just like camping anywhere to meet folks or alone in a wilderness area.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
One of our favorite sites is an Army Corps of Engineers camp ground, Winhall Brook, in S Londonderry, VT. A few water and electric sites but most without. Very spacious sites and the brook runs right through the middle of it.
Yes we have stayed there. It is a lovely place. We hiked to the dam. HUGE.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #52

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This wasn’t boondocking. It was misleading that they called it a campsite. A family purchased 16 acres in Texas and a deranged relative of the original land owners was apparently upset about the sale. Something like this shouldn’t keep people from camping in and enjoying remote areas.

And the wilderness campers will continue to camp in the wilderness and the KOA’ers will continue to KOA.

Choice is good.
Being controlled by fear is not.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Whatever you choose to call it, boondocking or dry camping, and regardless of how much solar generation capacity you may have, being off grid is fine until you are in a location where both the temperature and the humidity is in the 90° range (Fahrenheit) over night. Trying to sleep in these conditions is miserable and no 12v fan is capable of making it a pleasant experience. I stay in campgrounds with hookups much of the time, but I also camp off grid. But before giving up electrical hookups, I closely consider both the geographical location, the season, and the local weather forecast. Although I have a Honda EU2000i which will run my A/C, I am not a fan of generator noise no matter how quiet it might be.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We boondock/dry camp quite a lot and have no problems with it. I love it. (Her, not so much.) That said, I still remember well that very hot summer night years ago spent dry camping in our little Burro, in a very nice Oklahoma campground. (Sleepless in the Sooner State.)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Although I have a Honda EU2000i which will run my A/C, I am not a fan of generator noise no matter how quiet it might be.
I can tolerate my generator noise (Honda EU2000) far better than the A/C noise!!
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #56

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
I can tolerate my generator noise (Honda EU2000) far better than the A/C noise!!
Old 05-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Yes we have stayed there. It is a lovely place. We hiked to the dam. HUGE.
Nice hike I think about 9 miles round trip. Saw a pack of coyotes last time we walked it.