How does the spray foam insulation LOOK? Pics? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But several other owners have remarked that the foam keeps the trailer cooler by not allowing the heat from the pavement, pad, ground, rocks from radiating to the inside just as it keeps the cold from penetrating from the outside. I feel it also makes the interior quieter also. So protection, sound , insulation, are some of the benefits.
The ground is never that hot in the shade. Ground temperatures are mostly always the same short of the surface which can be affected by the sun. But, no sun under my trailer.

The interior is nice and quiet without it actually. I've tried it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Asphalt, gravel, sand all absorb heat and will retain it for several hours, grass to a lesser amount. Sand will hold heat for up to 5 hours, so even in the shade it can still give off heat.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Asphalt, gravel, sand all absorb heat and will retain it for several hours, grass to a lesser amount. Sand will hold heat for up to 5 hours, so even in the shade it can still give off heat.
Said heat will be taken away with any breeze. All I am saying that even in really hot weather this has never once been an issue for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
All I can say Steve, your unit may have missed quality control. both the 2014 and 2016 plus 2019 all were/are black!
I’ll restate my statement ;
The first two feet of the exposed foam starting at the rear bumper and a few other small , select , areas are coated with a thin partial layer of black something
( Looks like a light coat of spray paint )
75 to 80% of the foam underfloor coating is exposed yellow foam

I am hoping the spray undercoating will provide some protection to the foam
I think that the floor insulation could have been engineered into the trailer’s design , instead of being tacked on as an afterthought but what the HELL do I know ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
The foam is standard for the 2020 model year.
Our 21' is being shipped this Friday and we had to pay additionally for the under-body foam. After having had it on our 17B and camping a couple of weeks in sub-freezing temps, I think it is a great option.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 - ordered
It would be helpful if more people who have the spray foam undercoating could take and post a couple of photos that show it - as it really looks.
As for function, I'm most interested in the foam reducing the chance of water - and water-waste - freezing on cold nights.
MarkBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The ground is never that hot in the shade. Ground temperatures are mostly always the same short of the surface which can be affected by the sun. But, no sun under my trailer.

The interior is nice and quiet without it actually. I've tried it.
We live where it can get very hot and not cool down in the evenings! At midnight the ground can be very warm underfoot. Sometimes traveling in this can be daunting especially if you camp where there are no hookups. It all depends where you travel and what time of year. We love the spray foam and would do it again.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our 2018 Escape 21 has the underfloor spray insulation and it is exposed yellow foam not black!
I bought 4 cans of spray rubberized undercoating and as soon as we get a warm day I plan on pulling the trailer out onto the driveway and coating the foam .

The spray foam does cut down on noise and does keep the floor a little warmer but I am not convinced the cost is justified by the rewards
If you bought your 21 privately perhaps the previous owner sprayed it themselves?
We were tempted to install our own spray foam but decided to have Escape do it during the build.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, I've posted before that I thought it was FUGLY. And although I think for most things function over form is great... but not if it's FUGLY.
Couldn't have said it better myself, FUGLY, perfect description. The photos posted don't do it justice.

When I saw it in person for the first time I think that I literally gasped.

But if you're a Winter camper then go for it. While I generally go for function over form that's one item that I couldn't do that on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only spot I can see the foam without crawling under, is just forward of the drivers side tires. Here's a shot of the trailers side. Looks pretty bad huh?
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
If you bought your 21 privately perhaps the previous owner sprayed it themselves?
We were tempted to install our own spray foam but decided to have Escape do it during the build.
I am the second owner of my Escape and I have the original build sheet which lists the underfloor insulation as a chosen option and that it was paid for by the original purchaser
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
The foam is Fugly if you crawl under the trailer and look at it, from 5 ft away you cannot see it, unless you crawl on your belly. Our trailer is a 2018 and the entire surface is sprayed black. It keeps the floor warm in temps below 32°F and cooler in temps above 100°F. We camp in tnose ranges.

It really helps with road hazards, we hit a flatish sheet of metal on the interstate and it was blown underneath the trailer where we could hear it hit again. Could never find where the metal hit, we thought our fresh water tank would be a goner but there was no damage.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Just crawled up underneath my truck and took a look....turns out it is fugly too and I never realized it!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Just crawled up underneath my truck and took a look....turns out it is fugly too and I never realized it!
Did you happen to snap any pics that you could share?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Well.......the foam may be fugly, but it’s definitely not as fugly as a sensor wire ripped apart, a damaged pipe, or a hole in one of the holding tanks cause by kicked up road debris at 62 mph/100 kph. And unless you fix the damage yourself, the repair bill can be even more fugly. I have the foam (it’s painted black so the must have been listening to the Stones that day) and In 5 years no non-Escape owners have asked me what the fugly stuff on the underside of my trailer is. Nor have I heard armadillos running around underneath it in the middle of the night as I did in my previous SOB. Beauty is finite. Function is more important to me so if the foam is fugly, far be it from me to find fault for its failure to be fabulously fine looking!
Old 05-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just took some pictures of the foam and drain holes. Any foam that extends below the frame and is visible is painted black. The foam up inside the frame, not visible is the installed orange/yellow color. There are 4 drain holes one right behind the rear wheel and one right in front of the front wheel, both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1546.jpg   IMG_1547.jpg   IMG_1548.jpeg   IMG_1543.jpeg  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #37

Thanks for the photos John in Santa Cruz, davidmurphy02, padlin and cpaharley2008 , and thanks to the other foam owners for sharing your experience.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The only spot I can see the foam without crawling under, is just forward of the drivers side tires. Here's a shot of the trailers side. Looks pretty bad huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
The foam is Fugly if you crawl under the trailer and look at it, from 5 ft away you cannot see it, unless you crawl on your belly.
Honestly. I've never crawled under any trailer that had the foam but I've sure glanced over at some and thought, FUGLY.

If you're looking for reasons to justify it, yes, you could say that it offers some protection to some items. But I've done the Alcan Hwy. and nasty roads in Baja and a lot of other crappy roads and never had any damage to anything. Then, of course, there's the issue of a problem in a propane line or wiring etc. that's hidden by the foam.

As I said, the photos posted don't do it justice. In person it's visible and FUGLY.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Hey Jim - cut some 6x6 wood blocks, paint them black, screw them onto your stabilizer jack pads, and you won't have to fool with those wood blocks any more!
Attached Thumbnails
Jack pads.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #40

I'd mainly be interested in having the foam as a way to offer some protection from freezing. So, mainly interested in the actual experience of those who have it -- the people who know best what it's like because they've lived with it.

A few years ago I had my house painted. Soon after, I had new rain gutters installed -- with a color picked to match the house paint. Well...it didn't match the paint as well as I expected -- a different hue, not just a different shade. I figured I'd have to repaint the gutters. Well, I never got around to repainting the gutters... and after a few weeks I didn't notice the color of the gutters anymore. Did other people notice? Who knows... it's my house, anyway.

Thanks again.