How fast can you get ready for a trip? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
How fast can you get ready for a trip?

Me, 30 minutes.
Lisa, 2 days.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I've pretty much purchased duplicates of the things I use at home that I want to use in the trailer. That way I don't have to haul 'em back and forth and/or forget to bring 'em.

My clothes gets packed in those nifty e-bags. I've learned to put tags on them so I know what's inside each one. Makes it much easier when I'm rooting around for certain clothing items. With a few more purchases of SOCKS I can keep certain clothes in the trailer all the time.

I have a check list of what to travel with. It's sorted by each "room" in the trailer as well as what stays in there and what doesn't. Although more and more of it is staying in the trailer all the time now. Which is easier and all I have to do is check to make sure I have enough SOCKS (or whatever) on hand.

Loading food out of my frig and in the trailer takes the longest amount of time.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I've only taken long trips in my trailer, never weekend trips. Initially I tried to have one of each item I use and transfer it from the house to the trailer, such as my TV, portable radio, laptop computer, etc. Also, I tried to keep some of my routine the same at home and on the road, such as doing laundry every two weeks.

I've changed this up a bit. It takes too long to pack stuff from the house to the trailer and vice versa, and it takes too long to set up and take down stuff at every campground. So I bought a second television, and I intend to permanently mount it in the trailer. I intend to get duplicates of other things such as a radio, and have them built-in to the trailer so I don't have to set them up and take them down at every stop.

I'm considering leaving two weeks' of clothing in the trailer at all times to cut down on loading times. Maybe not though-- I have to launder the clothes at home anyway, so I have to transfer them no matter what. So my plan is evolving.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Upon reflection, concerning food; the last couple of trips, we have taken almost no food. We take what we'll eat during the initial drive (usually a day or two, to where we're going to end up). Then, we buy what we need at or near our first major destination.
We have a list of Trader Joe's markets on the major routes we take. But now, we rely more than ever on internet info and recommendations from friends or the forum for food sources. Local farmers markets are usually a plus!
Saves time at the outset. We get to talk about what we want to eat, while driving.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Upon reflection, concerning food; the last couple of trips, we have taken almost no food. We take what we'll eat during the initial drive (usually a day or two, to where we're going to end up). Then, we buy what we need at or near our first major destination.
I wish! I have so many stinking food restrictions I can't rely on finding what I need in local stores. Glad I got the larger frig in my trailer!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I wish! I have so many stinking food restrictions I can't rely on finding what I need in local stores. Glad I got the larger frig in my trailer!
I hear you in regard to food restrictions. That's why we are so high on TJ's. They sell a variety of stuff that counts as food for me!!! The farmer's markets are good in that they have fresh, non-processed local vegetables and fruit, and occasionally, home-grown meats (read: no infernal additives!).
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #27

This reminds me of a puzzle: there are relatively few people who are suffering from celiac disease (and God be with them) yet you see "gluten-free" this and that in every grocery now. But there are far more people who are lactose-intolerant, yet it seems that there is cheese in everything. I recently discovered that Canadians are as bad as Americans about this, so it's not just our dairy subsidies that are driving the use of dairy products.

I am very lactose-intolerant and find this a nuisance, to say the least. If I ever ate ice cream again I think it would kill me, and if I eat something with cheese in it, um, it's bad for our atmosphere. Why aren't there more prepared foods without cheese?

Yes, I know I need to cook more for myself.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #28
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
The shortest trip we have been on is 5 days. We are usually gone several weeks at a time and we usually like to explore new places and we hike, camp, go to the theater and sight-see so we need more than camping clothes. Traveling in colder weather requires more clothing, too.. I love the packing cubes from IKEA UPPTÄCKA Packing bag, set of 4 - IKEA although I admit I need to write what is in them on the outside. The week before we head out I have a staging area with a couple of laundry baskets that I fill with things I need to take into our trailer. This limits the amount of trips in and out. The night before I load up our food.

Lucky for us, our trailer is on the property.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just installed shelves in my closet and purchased some of these-under $9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
91OqDBHHHRL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Since our old motorcycle touring days, we continue to just pack one week's worth of clothing and do laundry along the way. Just finished a one month trip, laundry once a week was not a problem, and many/most campgrounds have good laundry facilities.

We also plan to buy food during the trip, so we don't sweat forgetting some food item. Appliances, dishes, coffee maker, towels, that kind of stuff we have dedicated items that stay in the trailer.

+1 Camper is stored at the house, so we can leave quickly.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Me, 30 minutes.
Lisa, 2 days.
I know the feeling
Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
This reminds me of a puzzle: there are relatively few people who are suffering from celiac disease (and God be with them) yet you see "gluten-free" this and that in every grocery now. But there are far more people who are lactose-intolerant, yet it seems that there is cheese in everything. I recently discovered that Canadians are as bad as Americans about this, so it's not just our dairy subsidies that are driving the use of dairy products.

I am very lactose-intolerant and find this a nuisance, to say the least. If I ever ate ice cream again I think it would kill me, and if I eat something with cheese in it, um, it's bad for our atmosphere. Why aren't there more prepared foods without cheese?

Yes, I know I need to cook more for myself.
Mike,
I thoroughly agree; it's a puzzle. I just happen to be gluten and lactose intolerant (per my Dr., so it's official), and determination of lactose is indeed more difficult. Especially when milk solids are used as a filler in foods (so they don't have to use wheat products as a filler). The biggest problem is lunches: try to find a lunch at a fast food or slow food restaurant that doesn't have gluten nor lactose (cheese is in or on everything). I DO have a side hobby of reading food labels just for the entertainment value of the surprising things in foods that we're supposed to eat. That's probably why farmer's markets have so, so much appeal!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have friends that boondock camp in the most remote spots they can find yet they bring along enough clothes so that they can change clothes twice a day . Never made sense to me plus I don't own or want that many sets of clothes. It's hard to make a fashion statement when no ones around to see what your wearing .
We fully stock our trailer in the Spring so all we need to do is pack the refrigerator , hookup the trailer and go.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...... they bring along enough clothes so that they can change clothes twice a day ..
I think you mean twice a week, correct?

Even though I have packed less clothes over the years, I always seem to have more than I could get by with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I think you mean twice a week, correct?

Even though I have packed less clothes over the years, I always seem to have more than I could get by with.
NO , I mean " Twice A Day" . They have more clothes / shoes in their trailer than I have at home . Different strokes for different folks. My best dress pants are a pair of jeans without holes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:

Me, 30 minutes.
Lisa, 2 days.
You make Lisa do your packing?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #37

Quote:
We fully stock our trailer in the Spring so all we need to do is pack the refrigerator , hookup the trailer and go.
This sounds like a good idea. Have a set of clothes designated as "travel clothes" and put them in the trailer in the spring, for use on trips. When laundered they would be returned to the trailer. Hmm.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Packing goes faster then picking up US dollars at the bank. Took those people an hour to find some US bills and hand them to me.
Montana here we come!!!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #39

Quote:
We have friends that boondock camp in the most remote spots they can find yet they bring along enough clothes so that they can change clothes twice a day .
In a book by former defense secretary Robert Gates, he said that both he and Condoleeza Rice were in the American delegation to the Reagan-Gorbachev summit in Iceland in 1985. Gates noticed that Condi would wear four different outfits in one day.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
You make Lisa do your packing?
You got it. . He left that part out.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote