How long did it take u to sell your Casita? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
How long did it take u to sell your Casita?

Now that we have a '21 Escape on order (pickup SEP), how long did it take u to sell your Casita? After I get the photos together, I suppose i could list with Casita forum, Fiberglass RV, and possibly Craigslist. Since the Casita (2015 LD) was kept indoors and is in excellent condition, I'm thinking for the right price it would sell quickly. We still have a few more trips planned and trying to figure out a good time to sell. thanks
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My advice is the sooner you can sell it the better. First off, we are entering prime camping weather, now is better than later. Secondly, you can then send some money to Escape and perhaps get a better exchange rate now versus later. Waiting until July or August may cost you.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
I think there is some validity in what Jim is telling you. Exchange rates are favorable currently, but that is subject to change. Our Casita was a 2001 SD17. Quite a bit older than yours, which we sold in October of 2018 for asking price in < 24hrs. I believe ours was in the sweet spot for pricing. I still am a member on the Casita groups and offer help when I can if still relevant. I see the factory offering new Casita's all the time, that did not happen years ago! So if yours is priced within a few thousand of new, people may just go that way. Place a value on the trips that you have planned and price your Casita accordingly.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We sold our 2007 Scamp 16'er side dinette in about two weeks. I believe Craig's List did it, tho' we listed it "everywhere". We sold it in early August last summer to maximize the sales opportunity, even though we didn't pick up our new Escape '19'er 'til early December leaving us without a trailer for a "painful" 4 months.

I had the Scamp professionally detailed inside and out. It looked almost new, even though it had nearly 35,000 miles and 500 nights on it. Of course, I maintained it well, and everything worked.

We sold it for 80% of it's original from the factory cost! They say fiberglass trailers don't depreciate much and I can verify that! :-)

I suggest you sell the trailer sooner than later. I believe the fact that the person who purchased the Scamp did so because of the long wait for a factory new one and wanted to get out camping!
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Now that we have a '21 Escape on order (pickup SEP), how long did it take u to sell your Casita? After I get the photos together, I suppose i could list with Casita forum, Fiberglass RV, and possibly Craigslist. Since the Casita (2015 LD) was kept indoors and is in excellent condition, I'm thinking for the right price it would sell quickly. We still have a few more trips planned and trying to figure out a good time to sell. thanks
We picked up our new 21' in January and had both the Casita and the Escape parked side by side in the driveway. I listed the Casita for sale in both Fiberglass RV and the Casita forum and it went unnoticed for about 3 weeks. I decided to list it at that point in Craigslist and it was sold a few a days later. Most people who have not owned a trailer before don't think to look at the trailer forums - Craigslist and the local papers are the ones they go to.

The people who bought the Casita said the reason they were looking for a trailer was that they wanted one for the start of the camping season. Wait until September to sell your trailer and you may be waiting until next season to sell it.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We just sold ours a couple of weeks ago since a pristine 2015 Escape 21 popped up locally and we jumped on it. Our Casita was a 2004 Spirit Deluxe. We listed on Fiberglass RV and one of the Casita forums as well as on Craigslist. We started getting calls 2 hours after posting, got about 20 hits on Craigslist and a handful from the others. We sold it to the first serious buyer from Craigslist. With a list of prospective buyers, we felt extremely fortunate! However, there are not many Casitas in mid-Missouri and I am sure that helped! I would say list yours soon. People are shopping for campers and ready to go!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We sold our 1-1/2 year old Casita in 2 days back in 2014. Probably asked too little thinking like car depreciation. I think i knocked off 1500 plus had added some upgrades like stereo, TV, etc. Used 3 forums only, Casitas and Fiberglass.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF you're on Facebook, there this, Casita Owners - RV Classifieds: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casi...RVClassifieds/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Sold mine in 20 minutes and received asking price no questions asked.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Purchased out basic 2007 Casita SD 17 with a salvage title for $3,000 from a guy who had purchased it two days earlier at auction for $1,500. The left axle was hit perfectly by a drunk and had to be replaced but the rest of the shell was perfect. That axle was not pretty, but I checked the frame and it was perfectly straight. A new axle, complete with brakes/hubs, installed by one of my students, cost $450. We also added an $800 (?) Southern mattress. After camping for five years and over 20,000 miles, we sold our Casita in less than one day for $5,000. We live in a tourist town and I just put it on main street with a For Sale sign. The new buyers didn't even question the salvage title.

We still miss that Casita, but have many great memories!

Enjoy,

Perr
Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We sold our '96 17' SD17 deluxe in about 6 weeks. It was totally ignored on Casita Forums while Fiberglass Forums brought us 2 contacts. Sold on Craigslist in 2 weeks. We came back from a trip to Oregon, fixed everthing that caused trouble. Ordered a 19, then decided to sell the Casita and not do any camping for 4 months. That part was really bad.

Sold the Casita for $600 more than purchase price. But installed a new axle, new tires, a shock kit, new AGM battery, new propane regulator, and major fix to the fridge. All those enhansements/repairs were over $3000 and we never recouped the expenses.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We put a “for sale” sign on ours at a Casita Rally, of all places, and sold it that same day.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We put a “for sale” sign on ours at a Casita Rally, of all places, and sold it that same day.
We <<<Didn't>>> put a “for sale” sign on ours at a Casita Rally, of all places, and sold it that same day.

Planned to sell after July and found ourselves in a discussion with a couple who wanted a Casita now!
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Send money to ETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My advice is the sooner you can sell it the better. First off, we are entering prime camping weather, now is better than later. Secondly, you can then send some money to Escape and perhaps get a better exchange rate now versus later. Waiting until July or August may cost you.
Jim, how did you send your money to ETI? I'm sure Melisa can offer guidance, I just haven't asked yet.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
We <<<Didn't>>> put a “for sale” sign on ours at a Casita Rally, of all places, and sold it that same day.

Planned to sell after July and found ourselves in a discussion with a couple who wanted a Casita now!

That became a dilemma for us because we full timed in our Casita and it sold in October. The new Escape was ready mid January. We were houseless for 2-3 months. Thanks to friends and family for putting us up during that time.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I just had someone knock on my door. A young family looking to buy an egg trailer. They wanted to know if my Scamp was for sale. NOW, I live in a cul-de-sac and the trailer is behind a 6' solid cedar fence. Only the very top peeks out. I'm not concerned about theft. The fence gate is screwed shut.

My point, IF you're interested in selling your trailer and IF you KNOW the price you want for it... hook it up to your tow vehicle and park it someplace where there's a lot of traffic or people walking by. Put a for sale sign on it. Sit in a lawn chair and be prepared for actual buyers... and yes, lookie loos too. I know I wouldn't need to depend on any forum or Facebook or Craigslist to sell my trailer. I'd only be risking my time. Frankly, I'd rather do that (at first) than spend time answering emails or the dang phone. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Jim, how did you send your money to ETI? I'm sure Melisa can offer guidance, I just haven't asked yet.
I have sent checks via US Mail which need double postage and lately sent via DHL Express, $30 gets it there the next day.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It was pouring rain the other day. Total monsoon. Watched a DHL driver leap from his truck, cross the road and climb the steps of the house he was delivering to. All the while, he was shielded from the rain by the large yellow envelope he held over his head.

I didn't stick around to see how he got back to his truck.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
To me it depends:

1. Do you need the money from the sell of the Casita to pay for the Escape?

2. If not do you have the space to store both of them until the Casita sells?

At the right price you should have NO problem selling your Casita, Only problem I see is because yours is newer the price is going to still be a little more then some might be willing to pay. To me since all Casita's basically look the same and very little change if any from model years condition would be way more important then model year.

As far as where to list it to many places now to list for free like Craigslist and the fiberglass forums. We found our Casita on Ebay of all places and when I got ready to sell it sold it basically in one day to a friends girlfriend for $500.00 less then I paid for it 5 years ago so YES fiberglass trailers hold there value.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Not a Casita, but sold my fathers 1999 Scamp 16 in less than 2 days. Posted it on FiberglassRV.com and Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. Got asking price which was a bit higher than he paid, but accounted for many of the modifications that we had done including a fully insulated floor. It helped that it was on the east coast with very few that come up for sale.

...and of course we moved the Escape 19 down to my house instead of leaving it next to it in the driveway. No way are you selling a Scamp with an Escape sitting right next to it!