Hub delivery questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Hub delivery questions

Hi all,

I’m contemplating purchasing an Escape and having it delivered to the hub in Texas. I would love to hear from anyone that has had an Escape delivered to a hub. What was the process like? Is there any assistance when it is delivered, or is it simply dropped off at a location? Is there a “walk through” with anyone? I understand that I have to meet the delivery at the hub, which is several hours away, so that may be a deal breaker as I work full-time and can’t take off at the last minute.

I have only owned 1 camper and it was a large pop-up camper over a decade ago when I lived in Alaska, so I don’t have much experience with travel trailers. Any experience/input appreciated.

Eric
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I took delivery of my 5.0 at the Texas Hub (then at Denton) in August 2021. FWIW ....

ETI and then transporter dispatchers kept me apprised of the schedule in the weeks, days, and hours approached the scheduled delivery date and time. The anticipated delivery date / time was confirmed a few days (3 days, IIRC?) in advance and that target was met. It was no problem to anticipate and plan for the delivery time, in my case there were no last-minute hiccups, I didn't drive the ~300 miles from my home to the hub until the early morning of my afternoon pickup time.

At the hub I had time to visit with the friendly transport driver because the wrecker used for unloading ran several hours late; the transport driver had been hauling Escape trailers for many years and was very familiar with them as 'objects for transport / loading / unloading' and very competent at those tasks.

But he had no real familiarity with the trailer as an 'RV' per se and was not in a position to give any walk-through or tour of the trailer or its features. I was not invited to enter the trailer during the several hours we waited for the wrecker while it was on his transporter and did not ask. I did ask if it was OK for me to take lots of close-up pics of the underside while it was on the trailer and that was welcomed (and informative!)

I was solo and the friendly transport driver did offer to 'help' with my hitch-up, but I thanked him and declined, he was obviously interested in moving-on due the significant unloading delay; so I can't comment on what his 'help' might have entailed. I installed the Andersen Hitch Coupler Block and taking my time as was my plan and preference, got underway on my own, no worries.

I drove about 70 miles to a friend's house to overnight in Ft Worth. The next morning did a leisurely check of lug nuts, cold tire pressures, and other items before proceeding home near Austin, again, no worries.

I'm a fairly seasoned bumper-pull RV traveler but had zero experience with the Andersen Hitch rig of the Escape 5.0.

Just one positive delivery experience FWIW.

Note that if ordering a trailer you'll have plenty of time to decide if you want to take delivery in TX or take time to drive to the factory for a pre-delivery tour and take possession at Sumas, WA the next day. You'll also get lots of advice here on the forum. Lots of new / first time RV owners manage all of this with no problem, most likely you can too!

Welcome to the forum, Happy Shopping!
Old 05-07-2023, 11:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Same as Centex for me, though the tow truck was not late, and it was in Lewisville. I had previous travel trailer experience.

Delivery folks are there to deliver, though some have helped folks get hooked up. Just depends.

You need to be comfortable hooking up and doing a pre-departure safety check on your own. It's not hard - you just need to go thru the routine a few times and understand related implications.

Tip for a SA trailer newbie for the trip home.

Head due west out of Lewisville rather than going back thru the DFW insanity.

Take West Main / 1171 / Crosstimbers due west to I35W.
South on I35W for a bit, then west on 114 all the way to just south of Jacksboro. Then south on 281 home.

Longer, yes - but much more pleasant.

Consider an overnight somewhere on the way up, or home, as up and back in 1 day would be a LONG haul............

Stop in Hico for a chicken fried steak/cheeseburger and pie and the Koffee Kupp.

Have any friends / neighbors with trailers? Have them walk thru hooking up with you. Rent a big U-Haul trailer to get the feel a towing a trailer.

Check the tire pressure and lug nuts before you leave the delivery.
My cold tire pressure was 65+psi on delivery. It was freezing in Chillywack when they set them @ 50psi, yet it was 90F in Texas on delivery. That would have been a bouncy ride!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
Other options for delivery

You can get a quote from Escape for a "special" delivery direct to San Antonio. I did to Austin and it was about 175% of the Lewisville option. I passed.............

Also, you could consider a contract trailer hauler to pick it up for you in Lewisville. I believe Escape can accommodate this (not set it up though) as well.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:32 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies. I really appreciate all of the advice.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
We used the hub in Madison WI. Timing was the only headache as the truck broke down in Montana and delayed many days (4-5 I think), and then they were early on day of delivery. So driver had to wait for me.... Not a big deal. He had it off trailer so I was able to inspect inside and out (as you should and are advised to by ETI).
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I picked mine up from the Baltimore "Hub", which was actually just a fenced in gravel lot of a towing company. The trailer arrived a few minutes early, so by the time I got there, it had already been unloaded. Everyone was very friendly, but the towing company was definitely interested in getting us out of there as soon as they could as it was very busy.

It was my first time towing, so I'd spent a lot of time going through videos on hookups, towing tips, etc. It was a bit nerve racking to be towing for the first time in DC traffic, but the prep definitely helped, and I made it home without any problems.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the continued responses. I’m not to confident that I could make the hub happen as I can’t guarantee that I can change my work schedule without a few weeks notice. All good information to have.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Thanks for the continued responses. I’m not to confident that I could make the hub happen as I can’t guarantee that I can change my work schedule without a few weeks notice. All good information to have.

That's what sick/personal leave are for. From San Antonio to Denton and back, you'll only need a couple days off at the most.

Cough cough,,,, Ugh I'm not feeling well.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote