I finally pulled the trigger! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
I have a 12V compressor refrigerator and I love it! I recommend you go for the Lithium battery option with your solar, which will keep your refrigerator powered for many days. One thing you can do to keep your trailer looking good for a long time is to have covered storage when you're not using it. I recently sold an 11-year old trailer with extensive milage but always stored undercover, and it still looked new.
Yes, the solar/lithium option is at the top of my “must have” list. I have solar and lithium in my van and it was such a game changer! I will be full timing, so there are no storage options for me. Hence one of the reasons I was asking about preventative maintenance. I already have a a buffer and fiberglass cleaner and polish in my very rotund Amazon cart! I was interested to know if anyone with an escape had the permanent ceramic glass coating done..? I follow an airstream couple who has this done to their airstream, but apparently, you can do fiberglass as well. I haven’t really investigated that just yet, but will at some point to see if this will keep the fiberglass in good repair, prevent yellowing, reduce the need for waxing, etc. If anyone has any knowledge about this, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Cheers!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #22

Trailer: just sold 2006 Forrester Lexington MH
Excellent Tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Congratulations on your 5.0 order. You've made an excellent choice.

Here are a few things I would suggest doing on or before pickup of your new trailer:

[*]Review the training videos at the Escape website and threads on this forum to become familiar with all the systems on the Escape trailer. Water, propane, electrical AC and DC, solar, hitching, and braking.

[*]Try to connect with a 5.0 owner who might be willing to let you assist with hitching, leveling and unhitching the trailer. Getting a chance to practice turning and backing in an empty parking lot would be a great confidence builder as well.
[*]Have some basic tools to take along. There are lots of things that will need to be tightened or adjusted on your new trailer.
[*]Have a torque wrench. You will need to periodically check the wheel lug torque for the first few hundred miles.
[*]Have a tire pressure gauge.
[*]Have a multi meter. Mine rarely leaves the trailer.
[*]Have some good wheel chocks and blocks for the trailer jacks.

On pickup day some things to consider:

[*]Make sure you understand the hitching process and can confirm the trailer is properly attached to the tow vehicle and level. Check that the trailer lights and turn signals are working properly.
[*]Physically check your trailer options to confirm you have the options you ordered on your build sheet. This may seem a little odd but I did find 1 item that I paid for that Escape had neglected to install on my trailer.

Some things to do ASAP after pickup:

[*]Put water in the fresh tank. Run water through all the faucets and check for leaks. You may want to consider sanitizing the water system at this time.
[*]Take water heater out of bypass and fill with water. Confirm the heater is full of water before testing it's operation.
[*]Check each appliance for proper operation.
[*]Review your owners manuals.
[*]Wash your trailer and wax with a good quality marine wax.
[*]Inspect for loose wires, missing screws,or anything abnormal that may cause an issue down the road.
[*]Check your frame and pin box for rust and touch up any rust spots with some spray paint. This is a cosmetic issue only but you did pay a lot for the trailer not to mention all the attention your new Escape will attract wherever you go.

This is by no means a complete list and I'm sure others will have additional input. Also you can use the search tool on this forum to read about other peoples experience picking up their new trailer.
Good preparation will make your wait time go by more quickly and your new trailer experience more pleasurable.

Best wishes.
Having been a 5th wheel owner for many years, I can only say that I would have been grateful for this information when I was just starting out.
My guaranteed completion date is in June, but like so many others I am hoping for any earlier date. I am a retired RN, and worked with extensive traveling in mind my whole career. A friend is making me a quilt for my 5.0 out of all my previously worn uniforms. I can barely wait to put it on the bed.
The only thing I can add is to be careful if you decide to go through a car/truck wash because your exterior gets dirty. I went through one for big trucks, and the water pressure was so powerful it cut a 4 foot slice in my awning. I didn't notice it until I was several hundred miles down the road, and went to open it. I think we will love our 5.0s. Anywhere our trucks will go, the 5.0s will follow. Happy traveling!
fields cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
So, for all the folks who ordered their trailer new, what would you advise as far as essential preventive maintenance when I first get the trailer? Things that maybe you did that have kept your trailer sparkling as optimally functional over the years..? Or maybe things you WISH you had done..?
Your experience could vary widely. The construction of travel trailers is highly dependent on the relative skills of the people who perform the assembly work. I have read here of people finding battery cables finger-tight, and of cases where the brakes and/or bearings were not properly set up at the axle supplier's factory. I've read of 120 volt receptacles whose wiring was not tightened properly, which led to the connections overheating, and plumbing that leaked. The list goes on.

Just start a tool thread and you will find those who regularly carry complete socket sets, impact drivers, floor jacks and ladders, and spare wheel bearing assemblies. There are those who in contrast bring just a few basic tools. There is no generally accepted definition of "essential tools and spares", but a basic electrical meter, some fuses and a few jumper wires are on mine.

I think you would be well served to stay near the factory after pickup and to try out everything you can. In essence, take the time to perform functional testing of every component you can think of. Fill the holding tanks as full as you can, even with a hose if necessary, and then drain them. Operate all of the plumbing fixtures, connect to a water supply, (with a pressure-reducer), and also operate the water pump. Fill the sinks and drain them. Plug portable heaters into the 120V receptacles so that they have to deliver a significant electrical load. Manually check the battery connections to ensure they are snug. You might consider having the wheel bearings and brake adjustments checked at a shop. Check the bypass valves and run the water heater on both propane and electrical as applicable. Operate the furnace for as long as you can bear to. While it's not absolute not proof against future problems, going through this process is likely to reveal most assembly issues.

I did some of this long after our trailer was home, often in response to posts I read here of specific problems that various owners had experienced. In the end, I haven't really found much to address. But, going through the process has served to make me feel more confident that that we can travel without exposing a glitch on the road where it would be far less convenient to live with and address. Doing this while you are local to the factory will give you the opportunity to have them address any issues that you find.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #24

And god bless the nurses. You can't say enough to thank them for what they do.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #25

Hey Civilguy, thanks for those suggestions. For some reason I thought I would have a walk through with my trailer at escape. I’m sure hoping they don’t just dump the trailer at the meeting point and say “buh-bye!” I has planned on going up the day before to have the Andersen hitch installed at a place recommended by Escape to make sure there would be no measurement issues or installment that wouldn’t give me the best range of motion for truck/trailer. After the drop off, I definitely would camp locally near Sumas for a couple days. I will also need to empty and store all my campervan belongings in storage until I can make the transition to the trailer. I’m guessing it will take a few days to stock and fully test the trailer.

This is something I need to bring up with Escape when the time is right. If the border is open, there’s no reason you can’t go up the day before and have a walk through with the company. I really thought that was SOP…
Old 04-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Hey Civilguy, thanks for those suggestions. For some reason I thought I would have a walk through with my trailer at escape. I’m sure hoping they don’t just dump the trailer at the meeting point and say “buh-bye!” I has planned on going up the day before to have the Andersen hitch installed at a place recommended by Escape to make sure there would be no measurement issues or installment that wouldn’t give me the best range of motion for truck/trailer. After the drop off, I definitely would camp locally near Sumas for a couple days. I will also need to empty and store all my campervan belongings in storage until I can make the transition to the trailer. I’m guessing it will take a few days to stock and fully test the trailer.

This is something I need to bring up with Escape when the time is right. If the border is open, there’s no reason you can’t go up the day before and have a walk through with the company. I really thought that was SOP…
You should start working on the hitch as soon as possible…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
You should start working on the hitch as soon as possible…
Agreed, but my completion date isn’t until 8/24 so I think I have some time, even if they up that date by a year. I’m still bumping around in my camper-van and I’m not planning on a truck purchase until just before trailer completion. Also, hoping that the auto industry with get closer to normal than it is right now.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Agreed, but my completion date isn’t until 8/24 so I think I have some time
It used to be that 8/24 would have meant August 24th.

I still tend to reflexively think in terms of months, not years!