I knew campgrounds were crowded, but.... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #81

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Is the rally still on for this year?

Welcome back Jim.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Left today for AZ. First stop Salton Sea SRA. Maybe 10 other campers at most here out 114 sites.
Attached Thumbnails
20210208_173017.jpg  
Old 02-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #83

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
new state park

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has announced that they’ve officially acquired more than 19,000 acres of natural space for a new state park. Featuring a towering landmark dubbed ‘Fishers Peak,’ the space is slated to become the 42nd state park in the state, with the formal purchase of the land being one of the final hurdles to make the dream a reality.”

No new camping.

At least not yet.
https://www.5280.com/2020/12/welcome...st-state-park/
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #84

Trailer: 2017 17 ft Casita Spirit
I agree with all that is said, I would include the vast number of smart phones that are able to reserve those sites. I’ve been to parks where folks reserve a spot then not show up for whatever reason preventing others from reserving. It’s “dog eat dog” out there, time to rethink the camping experience.
Borrisrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
When I was at a state park in Texas in December and wanted to extend my stay several days, I checked online and found only a handful of sites available despite quite a few empty campsites in the campground every day. My first thought was that people were reserving and then just not showing and not bothering to cancel, but in talking to park staff I learned that they had taken some sites out of circulation to limit the number of people in the park due to Covid.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Rpod 182G
We just returned from a 3 week W/E trip down to the Gulf. Only so called reservations was to get permits for the WMA's in Florida. Only one WMA was full stayed at several. I also walked onto 3 State Parks in different States. Then only at one did we have to take the first-come / first-serve site.

There are quite a few folks camping, yet I'm not finding it much different then any other year we've traveled. I also do even attempt to stay in the 'clamping spots', nor rarely stay at a commercial (or state) CG. Had no issues with any of the National Forests. Would have liked to overnight at a couple of the National Parks on the Gulf, but those are always booked in advance (like any other year).

Guess it comes down to how you camp. We saw so many of the 'parking lot' RV Resorts that were packed on the run. So if headed for those very popular places or want all the amenities, I'd say it's crowded. Pick a spot at least a 1/2hr away from your 'play' area to overnight and you may find more space to camp!

Just my take and how we roll (travel).
olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #87

Trailer: 2012 E19
The best thing is to get off the beaten track and avoid camping in popular campgrounds. For example, boondocking on NF land outside of a national park. Or finding some hidden gems where few people go.

2 years ago while traveling I pulled into a little county park in IL that I found on freecampsites.net and was able to camp right on a lake, with a splendid view, in an uncrowded campground, with no camping fee. No hookups, but I didn't need any. The only fee was if I wanted to put a watercraft on the no-wake lake. Did I mention that it was quiet and peaceful?

The hidden gems are out there.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #88

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Where's it at?

Where's that sweet county park, on a lake, in Illinois?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
This is very discouraging news. I don't have it in me to spend hours attempting to line up camp sites at various locations over an extended tour. We are now closing in on a time where we can take 2 or 3 months off without being encumbered by jobs. I think we missed the boat. When I was living and camping out of a VW bus in the late 60's the West was wide open.

I, too, lament how different it is from even a few years ago; I've been camping on public lands for 67 years since my folks first took me along as a 1 yr old. I moved to Wyoming in 1975 in my '65 VW camper bus to enjoy the vast public lands of different jurisdictions. Have camped throughout the West, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada, owned an '87 Westy, and now a small Escape, finally retired last year. I'll still try to get out there and will occasionally find that jewell of a quiet camp spot, knowing full well that I'll grit my teeth when I'm forced to camp amidst the madding crowd. I'd still rather grumble out there than in my house.
lloydjdorsey@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:26 PM   #90

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
I've liked HipCamp.com. used 3 different hosts camps: $30, 35, and 40 a night. The latter was full hook-up. They all vary in space, privacy, and price.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #91

Trailer: 2021 Escape, prospective
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I feel your concern. If I knew what I know now back in November of 2018 when I placed my order re: the huge problem of seeing and camping at places I only dreamed about...well I don't know what I would have done.
This thread and other rumblings elsewhere have my wife and I rethinking our 2018 plan to go full-time this year with a build date in May. We're in our early 30s with small kids.

When we used to go bike touring, not finding a legal place to sleep the evening-of was nerve-racking, but you can always find somewhere to stealth camp for a night. With kids and a trailer to keep safe/not-impounded, it's simply not something we're prepared to regularly handle.

I'm terrified that social media and film-attention like Nomadland are going to do/doing to fulltiming what social media and Wild did to through-hiking and the Appalachian Trail (i.e. overcrowding, vanishing hospitality, and outright hostility to new entrants).

This, along with COVID-19 restrictions, the resulting outdoor boom, and a general lag before the market can respond with any build-out of further RV parks or dispersed camping options have us generally concerned. Well, more than concerned--We're on the fence of just eating the 2k deposit and walking away.

Are these reasonable fears to have? Thoughts?
johnnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #92

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
This thread and other rumblings elsewhere have my wife and I rethinking our 2018 plan to go full-time this year with a build date in May. We're in our early 30s with small kids.

When we used to go bike touring, not finding a legal place to sleep the evening-of was nerve-racking, but you can always find somewhere to stealth camp for a night. With kids and a trailer to keep safe/not-impounded, it's simply not something we're prepared to regularly handle.

I'm terrified that social media and film-attention like Nomadland are going to do/doing to fulltiming what social media and Wild did to through-hiking and the Appalachian Trail (i.e. overcrowding, vanishing hospitality, and outright hostility to new entrants).

This, along with COVID-19 restrictions, the resulting outdoor boom, and a general lag before the market can respond with any build-out of further RV parks or dispersed camping options have us generally concerned. Well, more than concerned--We're on the fence of just eating the 2k deposit and walking away.

While it is certainly true that campgrounds in the big destination spots - popular national parks, etc. - have become more crowded, there are still a ton of places off the beaten path that are not that way. That goes for boondocking and dispersed camping spots as well - the big surge in RV sales is more the recreational/occasional family campers and perhaps bigger rigs for the retired crowd. Nomadland is not about recreational camping but rather a separate and relatively small segment of people not generally competing for the spots recreational campers want to go.

It's a big, beautiful country with lots to see and lots of space and I wouldn't let the recent surge of interest in RV'ing dissuade you from what sounds like a wonderful opportunity. An Escape, because of its boondocking capabilities, gives you much more flexibility in where to stay than many other trailer owners have.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #93

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I too share that anxiety over campgrounds, and I have seen some that verify this fear. But David is right, there are many places your kids and wife will LOVE.

I see this as a lifestyle choice, and I choose to be out camping. This phase will probably wear out and the people that really like camping will still go while others will find something they like better. I hope.

Every time I have seen a kid around a RV, they are having fun.

We did some Utah slot canyons this week and there were only three sites taken. 20 still available. That will change with the weather, but you can still get this done. You have to want it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #94

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:

I wouldn't pull out just yet. Like others have said, situations can change and there are many undiscovered "jewels" out there for camping. And there has been lots of discussion lately about different camping options such as Harvest Host. One really strong thing in your favour is the high resale value of the Escapes. If you do decide camping life is not what you were hoping for, you can easily offload the trailer for what you paid for (or close to) and probably very quickly, as has been the case for a few years now. Nothing ventured, nothing gained
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Free and reduced

Quote:

Never fear. There’s not been a summer, ever, that I could not have camped for less than $10 a night on a sustained basis in a decent campground with at least potable water. I’m not a stealth camper so can’t comment on that. You have to let your brain think a little and do your research ahead of time when you go out whether it’s for a day a week a month or a year.
Fairgrounds, municipal parks, county parks, fraternal organization sites, let your mind go free a little and get the camper. It ain’t aerospace engineering. My advice
Iowa Dave
Old 03-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #96

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I agree,

You may be fearful of shadows in the dark.
There be places to camp or stay at, they abound, but it is your duty and task to find them. As noted, the popular National Parks spots are likely kaput. But there in lies the fun. Go find other ones, and tell us about them.

You won't be locked out, but you will not be able to go wherever you want, whenever you want, with ease.

But you can go.
It's a different world, now, and for the future..
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #97

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Free

https://www.google.com/search?q=stro...AQDBB4ZsjQAAAA

There’s a nice one for you all. Free will offering, four day limit, was not
Noisy at all. Waited a little too long to hit the shower house at the pool as it was locked. Walking away, a parks employee saw us, he was taking the kids to the playground after dinner, unlocked the doors for us and came back later to lock up. Being a friendly guy, I offered the guys next to me a cold beer. Found out it was their monthly AA camping trip. Misread the crowd on that one.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-04-2021, 11:22 PM   #98

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Keep your plan; travelling with small children is much easier than later and you will regret not doing it now. There is so much open space in the West you don't have to rely on campgrounds during crunch season.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #99

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Keep your plan; travelling with small children is much easier than later and you will regret not doing it now. There is so much open space in the West you don't have to rely on campgrounds during crunch season.
I second the children sentiment. We travelled every year for months until grade 10; then my sister and I were so busy with things that family vacations ended.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #100

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
What they said. I traveled with my kids from when the oldest wasn't walking yet; now I travel with an assortment of the four granddaughters. The fun never stops.