I knew campgrounds were crowded, but.... - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Ugh... there was a segment on Good Morning America this morning that estimated over 50 million people are planning to head out and camp in 2021. I don't know what they based that estimate on (maybe recent sales of RVs??), but wow, that's a lot of campers! They did say finding an open campsite in or near a national park would be next to impossible unless one already has a reservation. Many state parks will fare no better. I have to wonder where folks will go as an alternative.

That leads me to ponder the implications to dedicated boondockers such as myself, who actively avoid crowded campgrounds in an attempt to find solitude. All my normal strategies are unlikely to work this year. These include picking dispersed sites on public lands where there is no cell service, traveling only on weekdays, planning my arrival times around noon, avoiding Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, and of course using tools like freecampsites.net. I think everyone has that app these days!

As for camping in the off season, I've seen more people towing trailers on the highways of northern Idaho this winter than I've ever seen before. Northern Idaho in January and February?? Who does that Many, it appears!

I think we may be heading into unchartered territory here...
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #102

Trailer: ?
Looks like most schools in most states will be back to in person sessions come September.
I’m thinking that this will relieve some of the pressure on camping areas.

Getting a substantial solar and battery package will also help because it allows a person to avoid the more popular hookup sites.

Now that we have the shots and Covid 19 is getting under control, we’re heading out in September. Avoiding the mobs and hoping for the best.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #103

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Looks like most schools in most states will be back to in person sessions come September.
I’m thinking that this will relieve some of the pressure on camping areas.

Getting a substantial solar and battery package will also help because it allows a person to avoid the more popular hookup sites.

Now that we have the shots and Covid 19 is getting under control, we’re heading out in September. Avoiding the mobs and hoping for the best.
Right there with you!! I got my first shot 3 days ago, scheduled for the second on March 31. I had really hoped with mass vaccinations and lower infection risks, people would want to do something other than camp this summer. Like take that cruise you’ve always wanted to do! That does not appear to be the case I too am hoping kids can get back in school next fall, for their sake and mine!

And one of the many good things about an Escape is you can get it into tight spaces the big boys can only dream about. This allowed me to access several spots last summer that I ended up having to myself. A half a mile away was a congregation of huge 5th wheels with satellite dishes, loud music, and constantly running generators. I was really glad to get away from that scene.

Hope does spring eternal, even in the face of 50 million potential campers out there!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #104

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm finding if you keep track of when NPS releases reservation dates and get right on it, there is very good availability. They've generally released on Reservation.gov thru Aug 28th, so you have to know a good 6 months out where you're wanting reservations.
Probably won't apply to big name destinations like Yellowstone, but for most NParks availability looks good.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #105

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
The pack rat population is booming in NW Montana. All campers should leave their hoods (bonnets) open or suffer wiring issues.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have stopped listening to network news. It's almost all negative and can still remember the Horrible Gridlock predictions for the 1984 Summer Olympics in LA. What a crock that was.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #107

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Google earth, and one of these for whatever state(s). The best tools one can have to Escape..

jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #108

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I would agree that a paper map book can be very helpful. I like official state
roadmaps, specialty maps like State parks and State recreation areas, bicycle trails and hiking trail maps from the DNR, books like the one on Idaho are excellent and finally sportsman’s reference manuals complete with county by county gravel roads shown. As the saying goes, “I’m never lost, everyone tells me where to go.” Nothing like a map to provide a traveler with perspective and options. What the world needs now is a United States map with all the towns under 2,500 population that have a local bakery rated by bearclaw, apple fritter, cinnamon roll, and bagel, aficionados like me.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see a high carb and sweet diet in your future there, Dave. I'd like the liquid. alcohol type myself........
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #110

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
What the world needs now is a United States map with all the towns under 2,500 population that have a local bakery rated by bearclaw, apple fritter, cinnamon roll, and bagel, aficionados like me.
Iowa Dave
I think you are on to something! Looks like you have the important food groups covered.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #111

If you are looking for disbursed camping areas in any US Forest Service area, the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is a great, free tool. Downloadable. Most are georeferenced .

Here is an example. Go to the Forest of your choice and take a look.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...d=fsm91_058275
Old 03-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #112

Diets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I see a high carb and sweet diet in your future there, Dave. I'd like the liquid. alcohol type myself........
Hi Jim
I like a good sweet roll in the morning if we are going to be traveling that day. I usually gas up the night before and if I’ve noted a bakery in the last town, on Main Street it’s with high hopes that we stop and get a couple rolls or donuts to go. A light sandwich usually suffices at lunch time on the road. Then the age old conundrum which has been making prisoners crazy for years as they approach their release date, starts working on me as we near out destination.
Steak or beer? Steak or beer? Steak or beer?. Then I realize like the “former” prisoner I can have both and usually crack a cold one as I ready the grill and start my steak, pork chop, or chicken. This latest covid shot with the BMI of 25 or greater gateway reminded me of a trip to the doctor a couple years ago when the nurse got my weight recorded correctly but put my height down as 5’2”. That pushed the old BMI up there pretty good. 8 inches is not something most of us can afford to loose. Hope you’re feeling well and looking forward to good camping days coming up. Take it easy and don’t overdo it.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #113

Trailer: 2021 5.0
There is a app many truckers and delivery drivers use-road warrior..

It’s free as long as you’re not putting in more than over 7 addresses at a time, you can just delete old ones as you go.
Stay with the map screen instead of the navigation option for the best results, especially if you are more comfortable with paper maps.
While my iPhone maps has greatly improved, road warrior takes it one step beyond.

When you hit the optimize function it will route you to your destination, once you are accustomed to it you will see why the drivers are using it.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #114

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
While paper maps were fun in my childhood on trips with my parents, one of the huge drawbacks is they are obsolete as soon as they’re revised and printed.
With the online navigation apps on the phone, one gets current accidents, road closures, construction, delays, alternate routes, sightseeing, dining suggestions, rest stops, gas locations, etc. all for free or very nominal one time fee.
In addition, a stack of 20 states paper maps in Alf’s backseat could explode his payload limitations.
I totally get the paper map attraction, I just don’t personally use them any more.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #115

And the BLM also has downloadable maps to help you find disbursed camping areas.

https://www.blm.gov/maps
Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #116

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
While paper maps were fun in my childhood on trips with my parents, one of the huge drawbacks is they are obsolete as soon as they’re revised and printed.
With the online navigation apps on the phone, one gets current accidents, road closures, construction, delays, alternate routes, sightseeing, dining suggestions, rest stops, gas locations, etc. all for free or very nominal one time fee.
In addition, a stack of 20 states paper maps in Alf’s backseat could explode his payload limitations.
I totally get the paper map attraction, I just don’t personally use them any more.
Our navigation (not old) tries to take us over a bridge that has been out for 40 years. The state maps are correct. Two truck accidents happened locally when their navigation took them up dead end roads not suitable for a heavy truck. Both ended coming to rest down the mountain side. A tour bus driver was totally unable to make a scheduled turn - it was at an overpass with no onramp or offramp.

A map fan
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #117

Star maps

The North Star is a pretty darn reliable. My son works with engineers who were born and raised all over the world. For several years he had a birthday party at our home and invited quite a few of these international forks. I went down to the fire ring to see how they were doing. A nice young fellow was looking at his phone and then looking up at the stars. I asked him what he was doing. He told me he was trying to get oriented using an app on his phone. I asked to see the star map. There, right in the center was the southern cross. It took me a second but I knew the problem. His phone was set up to display the Southern Hemisphere where he was from. I got a couple helpers to punch up the Northern hemisphere and the North Star. Then I had to explain the Big Dipper. Pretty soon everybody was laughing. dipper was not in his vocabulary. What’s a dipper? He kept asking. My son in law came over to help with an empty Scotch bottle in hand. He said “ Dave, I believe the Johnny Walker has been read.”
The Scoutmaster in me just sighed.
My son said my dipper lesson was retold at work for some time that spring.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm finding if you keep track of when NPS releases reservation dates and get right on it, there is very good availability. They've generally released on Reservation.gov thru Aug 28th, so you have to know a good 6 months out where you're wanting reservations.
Probably won't apply to big name destinations like Yellowstone, but for most NParks availability looks good.
Agree, but my experience trying to book Arches National Park has been frustrating to say the least. I've heard it's the same for Yosemite and other super popular places. This is what happens when one of the most popular national parks in the US has a total of 52 campsites. Crazy.

Recreation.gov releases availability 6 months in advance at 10AM Eastern time. Living in California that means 7AM. So at PRECISELY 7AM (not a second before), you hit that button to put it in your cart at the same time thousands of other people do it. Site says "we are experiencing heavy volume...". Arghh!

Did this 4 mornings in a row and decided it's not worth it.

I found a Python bot that scans availability for cancellations. Spent a few hours modifying it and installing it on my server. It will send out a Tweet to my bot account if it ever finds anything. If a post gets made to my bot account my phone will alert me. So far it has not, but I have 6 months to wait. It checks every 5 minutes, and if I ever get notified (doubtful), I probably have a couple of minutes before someone else grabs it.

This is a huge amount of work to get a campsite reservation and probably won't work anyway, which means boondocking far away on BLM land that does not have a camping exclusion (most of the areas close to the park are no camping zones because they would be overrun if they weren't).
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #119

Trailer: 2019 E19
Skyfree,

You are not alone. There seem to be more people trying to go camping in campgrounds than ever before. Pent up demand is going to force a little creativity this year. So you want to go to Arches? Accept that boondocking will probably be necessary. North of Moab is the Thompson District and Yellow Cat. South of Moab, off US191 on the east side and south of Steen Rd. are any number of boondocking sites, extending almost all the way to Monticello, Utah.
There are lots more, and you'll have to conserve your resources and scout out dump stations, but it can be done. If your Bot fails to deliver, you can always ask for some specific clues for boondocking sites from the experienced Utah boondockers here.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 PM   #120

Trailer: 2012 E19
I know a spot in La Sal NF, SE of Moab, at about 7500 ft. If you're going to Arches during the hotter months, at least you'd be sleeping cool. PM me if interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18DSCF1882sm.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	54564