I knew campgrounds were crowded, but.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I knew campgrounds were crowded, but....

Campgrounds have been beyond crowded, and in many areas everything gets booked up months in advance. I guess something like this was inevitable:

https://owners.moochdocker.com/vip?f...YugTgV21ZIBnWY
Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Here is another one I found. Similar but different....

https://www.hipcamp.com/
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
But for a low cost, more widespread option BoonDockers Welcome.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
Grand County in Utah (Moab) and Wickenburg, Arizona are already considering or enacting ordinances to prohibit what they term as "Public Camping". These ordinances will be sold as "nuisance avoidance", and are in reality, primarily efforts to capture tax revenue. There is an article in the 'Moab Sun News' today addressing the issue.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Casita
I read that a number of Harvest Hosts sites have caught the eye of local officials, and been shut down. Seems counter-productive as those that use harvest host usually leave as much, or more money in the area than a campsite would cost.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
I read that a number of Harvest Hosts sites have caught the eye of local officials, and been shut down. Seems counter-productive as those that use harvest host usually leave as much, or more money in the area than a campsite would cost.
Besides that, isn't Harvest Host private properties being used? Maybe it is to make sure paid campgrounds get used.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome are both private property organizations, but sometimes governments regulate property use.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have used hip camp. The place we found was awesome, and seemed expensive, but they didn't charge by campsite, but charged for adults by the night. We had almost as many kids as adults so it turned out ok. And a different price for weekends/weekdays.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome are both private property organizations, but sometimes governments regulate property use.
yes, but usually because of complaints or problems.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #10

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Campgrounds have been beyond crowded, and in many areas everything gets booked up months in advance. I guess something like this was inevitable:

https://owners.moochdocker.com/vip?f...YugTgV21ZIBnWY
This is very discouraging news. I don't have it in me to spend hours attempting to line up camp sites at various locations over an extended tour. We are now closing in on a time where we can take 2 or 3 months off without being encumbered by jobs. I think we missed the boat. When I was living and camping out of a VW bus in the late 60's the West was wide open.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
This is very discouraging news. I don't have it in me to spend hours attempting to line up camp sites at various locations over an extended tour. We are now closing in on a time where we can take 2 or 3 months off without being encumbered by jobs. I think we missed the boat. When I was living and camping out of a VW bus in the late 60's the West was wide open.

It is definitely different, nowadays. I first noticed things changing in 2016, while in Zion. All campgrounds overflowing, and a line at the gate by 8 AM. Each year since, it's gotten worse. Then came covid, and everyone hit the campgrounds with rv's, tents, tarps; whatever they had.
We were blessed that both of us retired in 2009. We had six wonderful years towing our Casita over all the US with hardly ever a reservation. Now it's like that commercial on television. Don't leave home without them. Hope things settle down so you get to fully enjoy your time off.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Here is another one I found. Similar but different....

https://www.hipcamp.com/
My cousin in Ohio is a Hipcamp host and seems to like the process. They only have tent and lean to sites at her farm though.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
This is our worry too. We should get our trailer in October. I have retired but my husband has 2 years to go still. We will be selling our house and traveling full time for a couple of years before deciding where to settle - hopefully near our son who lives in Colorado now. The idea of having to have everything plotted out way in advance takes away the spontaneity of deciding to stay longer because you really like a spot, or leaving right away because you don't. I don't want to be on a fixed schedule for our travels but we may not have that choice. Oh well.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Population

In 1970 the US population was 209 million. Right now it’s 331 million. Since the good old days there are 122 million more folks out there and a whole bunch of them are looking for a place to camp. There are more places to camp near where I live, both private and public, but I doubt nationwide there are enough to meet the demand. I also hear a lot of folks complaining about regulations. Those 331 million people are bumping into one another more often than back in the good old days and regulation is what it takes to keep the peace.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Baby boomers

It's the boomers, like me, that are the issue. 6-7 years ago we stayed at Fort Pickens near Pensacola, FL. No sweat, plenty of sites, swell time and met interesting folks. Was there again 2 years ago and the place was booked full, packed, overcrowded and an unpleasant experience. Same time of the year for both places, vastly different experiences.

We boomers got old for tenting and bought rigs, and got out of Dodge. Boomers are a huge, bigly bulge of people of a similar age. And yes, a 30% increase in population over 50 years does fill things up.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #16

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
It's the boomers, like me, that are the issue. 6-7 years ago we stayed at Fort Pickens near Pensacola, FL. No sweat, plenty of sites, swell time and met interesting folks. Was there again 2 years ago and the place was booked full, packed, overcrowded and an unpleasant experience. Same time of the year for both places, vastly different experiences.

We boomers got old for tenting and bought rigs, and got out of Dodge. Boomers are a huge, bigly bulge of people of a similar age. And yes, a 30% increase in population over 50 years does fill things up.
Boomers also have a short porch within which to enjoy this Hail Mary experience. I know. I'm one of them. I don't know if there is a way to sort this problem out to be honest about it.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My guess is that the Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, Truck stops, etc. are going to get overrun with overnight stays with all the camping spaces full. That will lead to them having to shut down the overnight parking at those options.
It is really going to hurt when you're moving from one spot to another.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #18

Trailer: ?
In addition to the increasing number of campers is a limited number of campsites.

Can anyone think of a public campground anywhere in North America that has been newly built within the last five years? Heck, how about ten years?

I suspect the number approaches zero.

Several disbursed camping areas we have frequented in the past are now closed to camping because of intentional destruction of the environment by users. It’s not going to get any better, I’m afraid. It’s just not.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
In addition to the increasing number of campers is a limited number of campsites.

Can anyone think of a public campground anywhere in North America that has been newly built within the last five years? Heck, how about ten years?

I suspect the number approaches zero.
I can think of one - there is a new state park in Minnesota on Lake Vermilion. Gorgeous place.

But that's about it.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BC government is expanding provincial parks. Still, a lot of pressure on parks.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-p...s-acquisitions

Here is the full list of new acquisitions:
  • 250 acres for Chasm Park, Clinton: $420,000
  • 61 acres for Tweedsmuir Park, Bella Coola: $575,000
  • 49 acres for Octopus Islands Marine Park in Okisollo Channel, Quadra Island: $1.525 million
  • 5 acres at Cowichan River Park, Duncan: $395,000
  • 161 acres for Skaha Bluffs Park, Penticton: $1.035 million
  • 44 acres for Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Protected Area, Kaslo: $640,800
  • 0.4 acres for Mount Pope Park, Fort St. James: $220,000
  • 2.2 acres for Mount Robson Park, Valemount: $50,000
  • 203 acres for Cathedral Park, South Okanagan: $1.00
  • 146 acres for West Twin Protected Area, McBride: $120,000
  • 6.2 acres for Muncho Lake Park, Mile 463 on Alaska Highway: $590,000
  • 188 acres for Cape Scott Park, Northern Vancouver Island: $515,000
  • 304 acres for Naikoon Park, Haida Gwaii: $411,000
  • 2.5 acres for Landstrom Bar, Hope: $762,500
  • 79 acres for Valhalla Park, Slocan: $175,000