I want a different color! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You can't be serious.
Attached Thumbnails
paintedEek.jpg  
Old 04-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
What is ideal for building out the rest of the trailer is an unpainted trailer.

What's 'ideal' for the painter isn't 'ideal' for the manufacturer.

If you look at build pictures you'll often see marks where gelcoat needs touching up this is one of the final steps...]
Yes, paint might need to be touched up, and that might be more difficult than touching up gelcoat (for a fiberglass manufacturer). Of course the bare body of every car and truck is painted before any of the assembly work is done, and touching up paint due to assembly errors is rarely an issue.

I understand the issues and don't fault Escape Trailer Industries (or any other RV manufacturer) for not offering fiberglass bodies painted before assembly... it would just be the most desirable way to do it for the customer (not just the person doing the painting).

Of course the original topic was just colours, and manufacturers could offer other colours just in the current gelcoat without introducing any issues of adding paint to the manufacturing process... and I understand why they don't do that, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
One of the people who saw our first Escape bought a new 5.0TA and did red and white.
That's a striking combination. Of course it's obvious that it would limit resale appeal, particularly for people who don't own a truck in a matching shade of red.

When we bought our used Boler, we looked at one of the same model that had some customizations, including a bad paint job. Each of the customizations reduced to the value to us, and we didn't buy the painted one. The red-and-white 5.0TA looks like it has a much better paint job , although the white fittings on the red body section are a strange choice.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The red-and-white 5.0TA looks like it has a much better paint job , although the white fittings on the red body section are a strange choice.
My limited understanding is that a third party painted it before pickup in Chilliwack. I do not know when in the build process it was painted. I posted more to inform the OP that someone actually did this.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Henry Ford had it right 100 years ago, any color you want as long as it was black.......
Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Henry Ford had it right 100 years ago, any color you want as long as it was black.......
The Model T was introduced in 1908, and through the 1913 model year buyers had a choice of several colors, including black. For 12 years, only black was offered because they needed to build quickly and the available fast-drying paint process only worked with black. Then, in 1926 and 1927, Ford was losing sales to the competition (GM) who were using the new faster-drying nitrocellulose lacquers, so green, light blue, brown, and maroon were added.

Not much of this is relevant to moulded fiberglass trailers, as gelcoat can be any of a wide range of colours and cures equally quickly regardless of colour. On the other hand, painting fiberglass would certainly slow production.

Ford got away with not offering a choice for a while because there there wasn't much competition and because colour wasn't highly important to buyers. Perhaps those are the most relevant parts of the Model T story.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
My limited understanding is that a third party painted it before pickup in Chilliwack. I do not know when in the build process it was painted. I posted more to inform the OP that someone actually did this.
I assume that it was painted after manufacturing, since it is unlikely that Escape accommodated painting during the build.

But I was just commenting that the fittings don't need to contrast, regardless of when the painting was done. There are choices...
  • The fittings can be painted over (like my motorhome, which was painted at the factory but after it was completely built). This looks good to start, but as flexible mouldings (such as around the windshield) contract, lines of the underlying colour become visible. If fittings need to be removed and replaced, there is paint missing wherever there was sealant; if they are changed to a different shape, there is no paint anywhere within the footprint of the original fitting.
  • Fittings can be just masked off. That's fine for windows, but for hatches they then don't match.
  • The fittings can be removed, then replaced after painting. This allows fittings to be painted separately if desired. If reinstalled with clear caulk the colour can be continuous, and if any anything needs to be removed and replaced or reinstalled later the colour integrity can be maintained. Painting plastic utility hatches with a paint suited to their material is probably a good way to extend their life, and avoid fading, even if they're not colour-matched to the main body colour.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When I see a quote like the one above, I Google "origin of quote ... " and invariably, it's a mis-quote or mis-attribution. You can quote me on that.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
The rest of the tale

Henry Ford is quoted as saying “You can have any color you want so long as it’s black.” And like so many quotes, there is dispute that it was ever said. Fortunately, no one is ascribing it to Mark Twain.
But whether Ford said it or not, he certainly did write it. It’s in his book My Life and Work, published in 1922. The entire quote is as follows:
Therefore in 1909 I announced one morning, without any previous warning, that in the future we were going to build only one model, that the model was going to be “Model T,” and that the chassis would be exactly the same for all cars, and I remarked: ‘Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.’
What’s odd about this statement is that Model T’s were available in a variety of colors, at least until 1915. In fact, up until that point, black wasn’t even an option! But from 1915 to 1925, black was the only option. But why?
A common answer given to this is that black was chosen because it was fastest to dry. Fast drying paint, meant less time on the production line, and as we all know, Ford was all about efficiency. There’s a problem with this argument though: while some black paints do dry quickly, Ford didn’t use just one on his cars. In fact, a Model T completed between 1915 and 1925 would have had as many as 30 different kinds of black paint on it, all with different drying times.

2-24. Any Color So Long As It's Black | College of Curiosity

Make mine TEAL!...Or maybe chartreuse.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #30

The rest of the tale

Henry Ford is quoted as saying “You can have any color you want so long as it’s black.” And like so many quotes, there is dispute that it was ever said. Fortunately, no one is ascribing it to Mark Twain.
But whether Ford said it or not, he certainly did write it. It’s in his book My Life and Work, published in 1922. The entire quote is as follows:
Therefore in 1909 I announced one morning, without any previous warning, that in the future we were going to build only one model, that the model was going to be “Model T,” and that the chassis would be exactly the same for all cars, and I remarked: ‘Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.’
What’s odd about this statement is that Model T’s were available in a variety of colors, at least until 1915. In fact, up until that point, black wasn’t even an option! But from 1915 to 1925, black was the only option. But why?
A common answer given to this is that black was chosen because it was fastest to dry. Fast drying paint, meant less time on the production line, and as we all know, Ford was all about efficiency. There’s a problem with this argument though: while some black paints do dry quickly, Ford didn’t use just one on his cars. In fact, a Model T completed between 1915 and 1925 would have had as many as 30 different kinds of black paint on it, all with different drying times.

2-24. Any Color So Long As It's Black | College of Curiosity

Make mine TEAL!...Or maybe chartreuse.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #31

OUUPPS! Double post

Less than consistent DSL service.

My bad.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Maybe a vehicle wrap would solve the issue without too much residual permanent damage. Gelcoat would fade on any area not wrapped but certainly better than trying to sell a "unique" paint job... I assume wraps can be unwrapped?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Maybe a vehicle wrap would solve the issue without too much residual permanent damage. Gelcoat would fade on any area not wrapped but certainly better than trying to sell a "unique" paint job... I assume wraps can be unwrapped?
Yes, 'wraps' are removable without any damage to the underlying 'vehicle' and are a fraction of the cost of painting. When professionally applied they last a very long time relative to the investment; the 'wrap' applied to our motorcycle racing club's ~35ft gooseneck equipment trailer is over 10 years old and still looks great even with lots of stuff being leaned against that trailer over the years. I've been amazed at how robust that wrap has been through all of its (ab)use.

BTW, that trailer has several windows and a number of exterior surface mounted lights and hatches analogous to things on an Escape trailer - a 'wrap' would certainly be the way to go, IMO, if one is intent on a different color trailer.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 21c
There is a new silver gel coat being used on new fiberglass front caps on RVs being built in Elkhart. It has become quite popular with some brands.

I tried to order my Escape with a silver gel coat they refused. I also requested that I get the exterior un finished so that I could have the exterior painted. They also refused that request. Consequently I will be living with white.

Automotive base coat, clear coat paint works well on fiberglass. Just like on a Corvette, so if you have the cash and motivation, go for any color you want. Just remember that dark colors will be hotter in the sun and the fiberglass will expand more which could lead more to stress cracking.
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
There I also requested that I get the exterior un finished so that I could have the exterior painted.
What do you mean by the exterior unfinished?

The exterior gel coat is an integral part of making molded fiberglass.

Or did you mean certain items not installed?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You'll probably spend most of your time inside, so you won't see the colour anyway.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
We had a Boler that we wanted painted. We took the windows, etc. out and masked off anything that couldn’t be easily removed. We found an auto body place that would paint it. The manager was willing to have a go at it himself and it turned out well.
Veewee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 E19
I guess that Henry Ford story bore repeating.

I thought I read somewhere, a while back, that Snoozy was offering light blue color as an exterior option, but now I can't confirm it.

I was thinking, if ETI would contaminate their equipment with a number of bright colors, they might be able to turn out a nice "tie-dye" finish! Or with several muted colors, a faux "marble" look. Every unit would have a unique exterior.

But then again, they all might come out mud brown.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 21c
There is a considerable amount of finishing sanding and buffing to a full shine. I was willing to have them save that amount of labor so that I could prep the fiberglass for an automotive base coat clear coat. I really wanted a silver exterior. Just a note, Snoozy 2 is now offering a silver gelcoat.
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
What do you mean by the exterior unfinished?

The exterior gel coat is an integral part of making molded fiberglass.
The gelcoat is just the first layer sprayed into the mould; it can just be skipped, so non-coloured resin is visible on the exterior of the resulting shell... although understandably ETI isn't willing to do that.

The gelcoat doesn't interfere with painting later, but if it is going to be painted gelcoat just seems like an excessively expensive and heavy primer.