Idea: Contemporary with clear maple doors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #1

Trailer: waiting 21C
Idea: Contemporary with clear maple doors

Just got my confirmation email for my September 2023 21C. I'm torn about interior. I like the lightness of the white contemporary interior, but I also like the warmness of the clearcoat maple. Has anyone else thought of having the white cabinet boxes with regular (unpainted) maple doors? I think the contrast would really pop.

All white is just a bit too hospital for me. Of course, I know how to shoot paint. I could get contemporary, take the doors off, rough up the white with some 220 grit, and do some catchy enamel or tinted lacquer. I'm already considering custom Formica and fabric in bright blues, greens or something fun.

Speaking of, before I got turned on to Escape I spent a lot of time going over Jayco and other common stick floorplans. The newest style is pretty gross to me; lots of dark grays, dark, dark cabinets. Just, too stark for me. Give me warm, light, airy wood.
Mudhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is an interesting idea and would not be to hard for them do.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
As it happens, I stumbled across a thread on this idea not long ago. There are a lot of photos provided by the OP. I hope it helps.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/s...ferrerid=15603
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:55 PM   #4

Trailer: waiting 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
As it happens, I stumbled across a thread on this idea not long ago. There are a lot of photos provided by the OP. I hope it helps.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/s...ferrerid=15603

Oh excellent!
Mudhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
White cabinetry with real wood doors? Sounds a lot like a standard Scamp to me. Their cabinets are molded FG instead of painted wood, is all.

The nice warm wood look is a big draw to me. My Escape will be my "cabin in the woods."
Old 01-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Sounds like a Casita, except we have oak not walnut—not real wood, of course.
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #7

The beauty of Escape Trailers is that we get to make the trailer our own, according to our taste. This is especially true with the semi-recent expansion of interior finish choices. We’re completing our build sheet now for our 21C. We’re going with standard flooring and fabric, but custom Formica and kitchen sink. We can’t wait to see how it all turns out. May 13th can’t get here fast enough.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We are going with the contemporary interior. My wife is retiring from the hospital this month, so when we pick up our Escape in April she’ll feel right at, er, work.

Ps. Contemporary with maple doors sounds really beautiful!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I love the oak but Big Mamma said no.

Contemporary for us! Period! End of Discussion!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhiker View Post
Just got my confirmation email for my September 2023 21C. I'm torn about interior. I like the lightness of the white contemporary interior, but I also like the warmness of the clearcoat maple. Has anyone else thought of having the white cabinet boxes with regular (unpainted) maple doors? I think the contrast would really pop.

All white is just a bit too hospital for me. Of course, I know how to shoot paint. I could get contemporary, take the doors off, rough up the white with some 220 grit, and do some catchy enamel or tinted lacquer. I'm already considering custom Formica and fabric in bright blues, greens or something fun.

Speaking of, before I got turned on to Escape I spent a lot of time going over Jayco and other common stick floorplans. The newest style is pretty gross to me; lots of dark grays, dark, dark cabinets. Just, too stark for me. Give me warm, light, airy wood.

Why not just get the maple interior and paint white what you want white.

I never did quite understand the white interior to begin anyway. But, in your case it's a lot easier to make maple white, than make white wood grain.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Why not just get the maple interior and paint white what you want white.

I never did quite understand the white interior to begin anyway. But, in your case it's a lot easier to make maple white, than make white wood grain.
The idea being discussed here is to have Escape install unpainted maple drawer fronts and cabinet doors with the Contemporary finish. If you look at the thread I linked to earlier, you’ll see that someone else had Escape do that for them in their trailer. It’s just another of the many options Escape provides.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
Maybe some folks could set up a swap with other owners of the same-size trailer. If a person with contemporary cabinets would like wood grain doors, there might be someone with wood grain cabinets who would like contemporary doors.

It would be another great reason to meet up with fellow owners at a rally or campground someplace.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
The idea being discussed here is to have Escape install unpainted maple drawer fronts and cabinet doors with the Contemporary finish. If you look at the thread I linked to earlier, you’ll see that someone else had Escape do that for them in their trailer. It’s just another of the many options Escape provides.
I understand what the post was about.

My point was it is easy to take a maple interior and paint it how you want. Because of that I never understood people in the past complaining that Escape didn't offer the contemporary interior, since you could simply paint one.

Painting also allows you to pick and choose what you want painted, and what color.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There is a very old saying "Nothing is impossible to those that don't have to do it." I often see words such as "easy" and "simply" used by those that have never done it and will never do it.

I hope people can purchase the combination of interior pieces that gives them the look they desire. I know I would NEVER buy a new trailer and then set out to paint the interior.

The best paint jobs involve a LOT of taping and removing all the hardware. That is a lot when you're talking about the interior of a trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I understand what the post was about.

My point was it is easy to take a maple interior and paint it how you want. Because of that I never understood people in the past complaining that Escape didn't offer the contemporary interior, since you could simply paint one.

Painting also allows you to pick and choose what you want painted, and what color.
We’ve ordered the Contemporary finish for our 21C. Others who have this finish can confirm, but our understanding is that while the drawer fronts and cabinet doors are painted white (Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace, maybe?) the cabinet boxes have a gray, textured vinyl overlay so it’s not just painted wood.

Your point is a good one for the drawer fronts and doors with the Contemporary finish, though. I could see the possibility down the road of painting over the white with a different color on the fronts and doors. Could be interesting.

Again, Escape offers multiple choices so we can have our trailers built the way we want. I think that’s great.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There is a very old saying "Nothing is impossible to those that don't have to do it." I often see words such as "easy" and "simply" used by those that have never done it and will never do it.
So true and often seen and especially when it relates to something the ETI can "just do".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The maple interior has a clear finish which would need to be sanded off before any paint can be applied. Time consuming project....
Old 01-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Mudhiker, We have the Contemporary interior in our 21NE. We love it, and apparently so do others who have seen it in person. We are Ambassadors for Escape and several people have viewed our trailer. They were very surprised to see how warm and bright the Contemporary interior is, as well as how much bigger the trailer appears. To each his own. If you haven't seen it in person, you really should try to see one. We have accessories with bright pops of color and it really makes a difference. If you are considering bright colors for the fabric and formica you might really like the Contemporary. ��
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
it seems like a lot of folk (me included) didn't really like the contemporary interior when it was introduced. Several said seeing it in person was a game changer and altered their choice before the build sheet was due..me included
Old 01-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The maple interior has a clear finish which would need to be sanded off before any paint can be applied. Time consuming project....
Not sanded off, simply roughed up, and depending on the paints used maybe not even that.