If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #201

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
My thing with the power cord is just me. YMMV. I just think it looks much cleaner, and removes a hole from the trailer that small things might get in.

Sorry, I did not realize this issue was fraught with emotion! It's just my thing. I've installed marine power inlets on two trailers, including out current one. Better to have it done at the factory!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #202

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
My thing with the power cord is just me. YMMV. I just think it looks much cleaner, and removes a hole from the trailer that small things might get in.

Sorry, I did not realize this issue was fraught with emotion! It's just my thing. I've installed marine power inlets on two trailers, including out current one. Better to have it done at the factory!

Frank
It's all cool, Frank. Just like many other sites, folks make a decision based on what they feel is best for them, and it transcends into a decision they feel is the best overall. Nobody is wrong as for what the best choice is for themselves.

BTW, I even went to the trouble to convert mine to a removable cord. and for a few reasons am very glad I did. I have at least tried both ways now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #203

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
It looks like folks have responded to most of your choices. On our 21 we got nearly identical list. I was talked out of the 12v tank heaters, since you probably wouldn't try to use them when camping without external power, the tanks are interior or spray foamed, and the tanks haven't frozen when traveling in freezing temps. Consider a heated hose instead, which I haven't done yet.
We got the transfer switch which powers all outlets with the 1500w inverter, so can run the TV and microwave and anything else we choose. I know it's an extravagance, but ...
I got all five aluminum/alloy rims, because I like to rotate tires at my home shop.
Don't need the rear driver side hatch. Access is better from under the dinette.
We got the "normal" maxxfan without remote or smoke.
Save a few pennies and some weight towing home by getting one propane tank filled.
Prefer the external 30A cord, and take a spare/extension. Not sure what the connected people do if the attached one has a problem.
Keep those questions coming---everybody enjoys posting their thoughts.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
It looks like folks have responded to most of your choices. On our 21 we got nearly identical list. I was talked out of the 12v tank heaters, since you probably wouldn't try to use them when camping without external power, the tanks are interior or spray foamed, and the tanks haven't frozen when traveling in freezing temps. Consider a heated hose instead, which I haven't done yet.
We got the transfer switch which powers all outlets with the 1500w inverter, so can run the TV and microwave and anything else we choose. I know it's an extravagance, but ...
I got all five aluminum/alloy rims, because I like to rotate tires at my home shop.
Don't need the rear driver side hatch. Access is better from under the dinette.
We got the "normal" maxxfan without remote or smoke.
Save a few pennies and some weight towing home by getting one propane tank filled.
Prefer the external 30A cord, and take a spare/extension. Not sure what the connected people do if the attached one has a problem.
Keep those questions coming---everybody enjoys posting their thoughts.
Bill
Good point, we probably don't need the 12V tank heaters either. Just me wishing I could get Gail to do winter camping. That will probably never happen!

If we got the transfer switch, does that make it easier to connect a small generator as well?

You got me on the aluminum wheel thing. I like to rotate my tires as well. Will plan on popping the extra $95.

Don't need that rear hatch eh? Hmmm.

Not sure yet whether we would tow it home, or have it shipped. We're 3,000 miles away, and at this point still working. There is a possibility that we will plan to pick this up when we retire, that is unless we buy a used one that has what we want. New is very attractive to us, as we have never bought a new trailer.

I would like to pick it up and go camping in BC for a week or two so if there are any issues, we are close to the factory. I am VERY impressed with the owners, they seem to be real quality folks!

Thanks,

Frank
Old 09-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #205

Quote:
Good point, we probably don't need the 12V tank heaters either. Just me wishing I could get Gail to do winter camping. That will probably never happen!

If we got the transfer switch, does that make it easier to connect a small generator as well?

You got me on the aluminum wheel thing. I like to rotate my tires as well. Will plan on popping the extra $95.

Don't need that rear hatch eh? Hmmm.

Not sure yet whether we would tow it home, or have it shipped. We're 3,000 miles away, and at this point still working. There is a possibility that we will plan to pick this up when we retire, that is unless we buy a used one that has what we want. New is very attractive to us, as we have never bought a new trailer.

I would like to pick it up and go camping in BC for a week or two so if there are any issues, we are close to the factory. I am VERY impressed with the owners, they seem to be real quality folks!

Thanks,

Frank
I had similar thoughts with the heaters, use them for camping in the winter, but came to the realization that I likely won't use the trailer for that. I will either stay somewhere warm and cozy, or in a cozy sleeping bag in a tent when in the wilderness. Besides, it would be unlikely I would be near 120V anyway.

You don't need the transfer switch for a gen set, just plug 'n play.

A hatch can be added later without too much trouble, if you so desired.

If at all you could swing a trip to pick up your trailer, it would be highly recommended. Meet the Escape team, and see some beautiful country. Win-win.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #206

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: frank_a... One item we love is the pass. side rear hatch. The first 2007 5.0 we bought used didn't have it or the removable power cord. Watching earwigs climb the power cord into the trailer and having to drape the water hose over the propane tanks... I changed both options on our 2014 5.0TA.
We enjoyed the trip out to the factory for orientation and Escape Rally. Sure want to join you on the Hudson some time. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030919.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had similar thoughts with the heaters, use them for camping in the winter, but came to the realization that I likely won't use the trailer for that. I will either stay somewhere warm and cozy, or in a cozy sleeping bag in a tent when in the wilderness. Besides, it would be unlikely I would be near 120V anyway.

You don't need the transfer switch for a gen set, just plug 'n play.

A hatch can be added later without too much trouble, if you so desired.

If at all you could swing a trip to pick up your trailer, it would be highly recommended. Meet the Escape team, and see some beautiful country. Win-win.
I would love to pick up a new trailer. I went to grad school at Washington State University (graduated in 1980), and still have friends there. Also, we lived in Rawlins WY from '82-'87, and still have a number of friends there we could visit. Used to be when we would have company in WY, the "nickle tour" was always to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We honeymooned in '74 to the Rocky Mountain National Park. I love the Rockies and would be overjoyed to take an expanded vacation in the Canadian Rockies!

Still working in the mountains too, just now it's the Catskills.

Frank
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: frank_a... One item we love is the pass. side rear hatch. The first 2007 5.0 we bought used didn't have it or the removable power cord. Watching earwigs climb the power cord into the trailer and having to drape the water hose over the propane tanks... I changed both options on our 2014 5.0TA.
We enjoyed the trip out to the factory for orientation and Escape Rally. Sure want to join you on the Hudson some time. Alf
One of the things I liked about our last stickie was the outside hatches Alf. Places to put stuff I didn't want in the trailer. Then we buy this Parkliner that has no outside hatches! What a pain. So, yes, my orientation is towards more outside hatches, not less. Power cords, water hoses, chocks, leveling blocks, etc.

This whole Escape thing is my wife's fault. She is NOT a forum kind of girl. I really do love our Parkliner. It's easy to tow, and very well designed for the most part. Gail just doesn't like it's small size. We'll have to see how it goes!

Frank
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #209

Quote:
I would love to pick up a new trailer. I went to grad school at Washington State University (graduated in 1980), and still have friends there. Also, we lived in Rawlins WY from '82-'87, and still have a number of friends there we could visit. Used to be when we would have company in WY, the "nickle tour" was always to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We honeymooned in '74 to the Rocky Mountain National Park. I love the Rockies and would be overjoyed to take an expanded vacation in the Canadian Rockies!

Still working in the mountains too, just now it's the Catskills.

Frank
Hope to see you in 2017, Frank.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #210

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Sorry, I did not realize this issue was fraught with emotion! Frank
I've read all the posts on this subject. Where is the fraught?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've read all the posts on this subject. Where is the fraught?
Hi: gbaglo... Just down stream from the "Traught". Alf
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: gbaglo... Just down stream from the "Traught". Alf
I can tell this is getting out of hand.

Adjective: fraught1.
  1. (of a situation or course of action) filled with or destined to result in (something undesirable).
    "marketing any new product is fraught with danger"

full of, filled with, rife with; attended by, accompanied by
    "their world is fraught with danger"

2. causing or affected by great anxiety or stress.
    "there was a fraught silence"
    synonyms:anxious, worried, stressed, upset, distraught, overwrought, worked up, antsy, agitated, distressed, distracted, desperate, frantic, panic-stricken, panic-struck, panicky.

Traught - The opposite of distraught

Keep in mind I'm just trying to help...

Frank
Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #213

Hi: frank_a... Here I thought it was some kind of fish!!! Alf
Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #214

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
One more thought on the topic of 4 vs 5 aluminum wheels. Initially I was only going to get 4 since the spare is covered (and I most likely won't rotate them, even though I probably should ). The reason I decided to go with 5 is if one of the rims was damaged and I had to be replaced, it could be hard to find a matching wheel, especially if it happens a few years down the road. For only $95CAN it's pretty cheap insurance.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
One more thought on the topic of 4 vs 5 aluminum wheels. Initially I was only going to get 4 since the spare is covered (and I most likely won't rotate them, even though I probably should ). The reason I decided to go with 5 is if one of the rims was damaged and I had to be replaced, it could be hard to find a matching wheel, especially if it happens a few years down the road. For only $95CAN it's pretty cheap insurance.
I'm sold. You folks sure are a great bunch (Donna was right!). Thanks!

Frank
Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #216

Trailer: 2007 casita
Ralph & Paulette I am live in St Louis and I too sold my casita and I am going to buy a 19 ft Escape. I know this off topic but if you would be willing to show your escape when it arrives I sure would appreciate it I would like to get your thoughts on the buying processes etc
mtpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #217

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
I ordered the sixth rim so there would be 2 spares for the planned trip to Alaska. I guess these would be a good candidate for a tire rotation, but need to figure out a pattern. Maybe start with the 2 fronts. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #218

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
Ralph & Paulette I am live in St Louis and I too sold my casita and I am going to buy a 19 ft Escape. I know this off topic but if you would be willing to show your escape when it arrives I sure would appreciate it I would like to get your thoughts on the buying processes etc
Sure, would be happy to, although it'll be awhile. We don't pick up until April. Send me a PM and I'll make a note to contact you when we get back with it.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #219

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've never heard of a hub cap which keeps wheel nuts tight, and it doesn't make sense mechanically. The re-torquing requirement is due to the use of lug-centric wheels (instead of hub-centric, like almost all vehicles now other than small trailers), and perhaps the aluminum wheel material (although this isn't a problem with aluminum wheels on cars, which are now far more common than steel).

What makes you think the caps with the standard wheels keep the nuts tight?
The Man said so when we were there. It helps keep the lug nuts from moving because it locks onto them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #220

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
It helps keep the lug nuts from moving because it locks onto them.
A hub cap which covers the nuts and clips onto them does so just because the nuts are in a known location, so the cap will work with a range of wheels that might not have a good place to clip on. Here's a sample web page showing this general style of hub covers - it shows the barbed plastic tabs which grip the nut to hold the cover on... with no mention of keeping the nut from turning.

I don't see a discussion trying to explain what would be required to lock the nuts from rotation as going in a good direction... so I suggest just looking at the back side of the cap some time and trying to imagine how that can apply any where near as much torque to each nut as the wrench does when you tighten them. Nope - won't work.

If a nut does come loose the cap would likely keep it from spinning off entirely, so you don't lose it, but even one turn of loosening is way too much to allow. Maybe just keeping loose nuts from being lost is all that was intended by the original remark.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote