If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #321
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Donna, is this is relevant issue in the 2017 21'? We planned on getting the front window with rock shield, but didn't know enough about trailers to even worry about leakage there. Our sheet is due July 12th so we can still change this if it's going to cause leakage!!
I think Donna was referring to a 5.0TA, not a 21. There are several folks who've added the front window on a 21 with no leaking issues whatsoever. I don't care for it on the 21, because it's off-center due to the bed and bath location. But, that's a design preference and not a criticism of the window itself. We have a front window on our 19, and it works great. The 17 has one too. I'd say if you like the window, get it. If not, don't.

One more thing to remember: the front window won't be an insulated one because it's recessed and the rock guard sits flush with the outer shell when it's closed. The non insulated window will be colder and more susceptible to condensation. We close our rock guard at night and that seems to help.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #322

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hmmmmmmm very interesting. I had not thought of this..... This is very interesting info.

Our child will be using the dinette bed every night, and we got the pedestal to make that daily transition easier.

I was going to get one small fold down table - for one of the sides of the dinette - to give our child a space to put a book, a water bottle, a flashlight, etc .... At night.

Thanks.
Not many owners seem to have kids in their campers, so I'm wondering if you have any unique input? How have your choices gone? Anything you would say you would want or not want again? Did you reinforce walls to protect against wayward hands or feet going through them? My son is 2, a big, strong 2 and that big bathroom/bed wall scares me...
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Depending on your 21' unit, if you get the "U" option ETI put my batteries on the curb side and everything else on the street side. I had the entire rear compartment free for storage and the dual flip up table which were ideal when making the rear into a lounge area, removing the center table, adding a filler board and just using the flips. See #230 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
I've just asked about this, and was told that the batteries were put into the rear compartment and would not be moved. Is the rear compartment open from one end to the other, or is there some sort of division in it? I will definitely get the exterior hatch if I can twist their arms into doing this for me, but I've already gotten one "no" from Tina.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: The Quilting Lady... I'll try to list them for you.

2X insulation upgrade no thermal windows,
Alf escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
What do you mean by 2x insulation upgrade? Also, what windows do you get when you don't get the thermal windows? Do you remember how much you paid for this option?

What style are your non-thermal windows? Considering not getting thermal windows is probably crazy, but the awning style makes me feel claustrophobic. If the non-thermal windows open more than the awning style, I'd have to seriously think about it. Are you glad of your decision? How have your windows done with insulation in the heat and cold? What about sound?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:15 AM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

One more thing to remember: the front window won't be an insulated one because it's recessed and the rock guard sits flush with the outer shell when it's closed. The non insulated window will be colder and more susceptible to condensation. We close our rock guard at night and that seems to help.
OK, I'm more concerned about the light inside than the off-center look. I was hoping the rock guard would help quite a bit, do you feel that it does?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 AM   #326
Site Team

Quote:
What do you mean by 2x insulation upgrade? Also, what windows do you get when you don't get the thermal windows? Do you remember how much you paid for this option?

What style are your non-thermal windows? Considering not getting thermal windows is probably crazy, but the awning style makes me feel claustrophobic. If the non-thermal windows open more than the awning style, I'd have to seriously think about it.
The 2x insulation refers to the "extra insulation and frameless thermal windows" package. If you go with the non insulated, my understanding is that they'll be slider type and not frameless awning type. If it were me, I would much prefer the frameless thermal ones. The sliders (the ones on my 2015) don't open all that much anyway. According to the Escape website, the "extra insulation and frameless thermal windows" package is $1500 CAD. To my mind, thermal windows and extra insulation are worth every penny.

Quote:
OK, I'm more concerned about the light inside than the off-center look. I was hoping the rock guard would help quite a bit, do you feel that it does?
Well, a window there does mean more light, but you also have a large window running along the driver side by the bed.

The rock guard does help, but if you really want to reduce condensation on the non insulated window, you can add a few pieces of thin foam insulation inside the rock guard when it's going to be a cold night. That would greatly reduce condensation.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #327
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What style are your non-thermal windows? Considering not getting thermal windows is probably crazy, but the awning style makes me feel claustrophobic. If the non-thermal windows open more than the awning style, I'd have to seriously think about it.
If you've ever owned a travel trailer with single pane windows and camped in shoulder seasons, you wouldn't consider getting a custom ETI build without dual pane windows. Truly. What a sloppy, gloppy mess. I've spent too much time wiping down windows and where everything felt damp to ever want to go through that again... ever. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #328

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
We got the front window, and 2 years later we still like it/are happy with our choice. At night, to help with condensation, we pull down the rock shield, as Robert said they do. (We don't latch it, we just pull it down.) Some people use something like a resized windshield screen (the thing that blocks the sun from coming into your car while you run into the grocery store for a few minutes), stuffed between the accordion shade and the window - which blocks late night/early morning light as well as helping with any condensation issue.

We just really like the extra daylight that comes in the front window during the day (with the rock shield and accordion shade up), especially if the weather is inclement and we're spending time indoors... As for the window being off center, it doesn't bother me: a little asymmetry is good for the soul. IMHO.

In the interest of full disclosure: our rock shield is defective. It holds water when it rains and the latch mechanisms have corroded. Others I've talked to have not had the same problem, which is why I say ours is defective. Maybe the others are stored under cover - ours is out in the open, in our yard. Anyway, even with six inches of water trapped between the shield and the window,we've had no leakage into the trailer. (FWIW, we have made some progress on getting the water to drain out the weep holes as it should, but our latches remain corroded and sticky.)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #329

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you've ever owned a travel trailer with single pane windows and camped in shoulder seasons, you wouldn't consider getting a custom ETI build without dual pane windows. Truly. What a sloppy, gloppy mess. I've spent too much time wiping down windows and where everything felt damp to ever want to go through that again... ever. YMMV
Agreed!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #330

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We would hand out a fake clothing needed list. Underwear : Two pairs. When questioned we'd say 4 days on each pair, 7 day camp, no problem 1st day right side out, forward 2nd day right side out backwards, 3rd day inside out forward 4 th day inside out backwards 5 day new pair, and repeat.

Or we'd tell them we insisted they change every day: Tom, change with Jerry, Bill change with Leo and so on. Was good for a laugh every year.

Dave

Hey Dave,
I don't understand why this was the fake packing list. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
It brings to mind the story my mom used to tell about when I went to Y Camp. I never used the preaddressed stamped envelopes they gave me. When I got home, I happily announced to my mom that she would be delighted to hear that there was minimal laundry for her to do. I didn't "need" to change my clothes.
She used to laugh about that.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #331

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The rock guard does help, but if you really want to reduce condensation on the non insulated window, you can add a few pieces of thin foam insulation inside the rock guard when it's going to be a cold night. That would greatly reduce condensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Some people use something like a resized windshield screen (the thing that blocks the sun from coming into your car while you run into the grocery store for a few minutes), stuffed between the accordion shade and the window - which blocks late night/early morning light as well as helping with any condensation issue.
I forget who posted it but this picture shows the rock shield on a 19 lined with Reflectix. It's on the to-do list. This same material can be cut to fit and used inside behind the shades as Mary suggests. It works quite well. May also use it to do some better insulating under the bed area of the 19.

www.amazon.com/Reflectix-BP48010-48-Inch-10-Feet-Insulation/dp/B000BPAULS

This is the same material that was used by ETI in the past when the extra insulation package was ordered. It was used throughout the trailer under the vinyl headliner material. ETI has changed the type of insulation used in the new molds, but I want to say I have still seen some Reflectix (upper areas?) in some of the build photos that have been posted.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #332
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
ETI has changed the type of insulation used in the new molds, but I want to say I have still seen some Reflectix (upper areas?) in some of the build photos that have been posted.
Yes, I've seen that as well, behind the fridge. I think they use it there because of its heat reflective properties.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #333

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

What style are your non-thermal windows? Considering not getting thermal windows is probably crazy, but the awning style makes me feel claustrophobic. If the non-thermal windows open more than the awning style, I'd have to seriously think about it. Are you glad of your decision? How have your windows done with insulation in the heat and cold? What about sound?

Thanks!
We have the dual pane sliders on our trailer . We are in the camp that don't like the frameless . I am hoping Escape will accommodate you with the dual pane like we have if that is what you prefer . We added plastic insulation to our front window guard on the outside underneath and it really makes a difference . We don't experience much condensation at all . We have the opening kitchen window which is open all the time and use the max fan on low . At our door we have a lined curtain on a spring rod , we close at night , to cut out light from door and insulate . Hoping you can get your sliding windows and that they are the dual pane which are better then the single . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I forget who posted it but this picture shows the rock shield on a 19 lined with Reflectix. It's on the to-do list. This same material can be cut to fit and used inside behind the shades as Mary suggests. It works quite well. May also use it to do some better insulating under the bed area of the 19.

www.amazon.com/Reflectix-BP48010-48-Inch-10-Feet-Insulation/dp/B000BPAULS

This is the same material that was used by ETI in the past when the extra insulation package was ordered. It was used throughout the trailer under the vinyl headliner material. ETI has changed the type of insulation used in the new molds, but I want to say I have still seen some Reflectix (upper areas?) in some of the build photos that have been posted.
The plastic insulation used for green houses is more ideal . The reflex won't hold up to the elements . I noticed we don't have the terrible looking wrinkling on the guard as before . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #335

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The plastic insulation used for green houses is more ideal . I noticed we don't have the terrible looking wrinkling on the guard as before . Pat
The wrinkling disappeared by putting the plastic insulation in between the window and guard?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
The wrinkling disappeared by putting the plastic insulation in between the window and guard?
Hi Marry . Yes it really has improved the ugly wrinkling . I will take a few pictures later . It was pretty easy to install also . I think I saw it at Home Depot so it is easy to find . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #337

Quote:
here you go Marry Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0003 2.jpg   DSC_0004.jpg   DSC_0005.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #338

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
here you go Marry Pat
Awesome!!! Thank you!!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #339

Quote:
Awesome!!! Thank you!!
Your Welcome Marry . We had extra from a green house , I also put in a window behind our head's in what we can the TV room . In the winter it can get chilly being on a tile floor , watching TV . We do have a nice rug on the tile but it still gets cold . Those windows also are dual pane behind our heads . Insulating them further has really helped . That's what gave me the idea to put on trailer . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #340

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
The plastic insulation used for green houses is more ideal . The reflex won't hold up to the elements . I noticed we don't have the terrible looking wrinkling on the guard as before . Pat
Pat, can you tell me what that insulation is called? When I go into Home Depot, what would I ask for? I am just not familiar with that product. Thanks.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote