If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #361

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think that points out how differently the trailers are used. Our travels tend to be long distance, on the road a lot. We get about 3 weeks on a tank, less if it's cold weather and we're using the furnace.

When you're on the road a lot you're not always sure when you're going to find a convenient spot to refill a tank. So, was a no-brainer decision for us, get the electric option. Nice to have options.

Ron
I get similar results. When less when boondocking in colder weather. Having the option of electric is a nice thing when available.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #362

Trailer: 2017 F250
I have the electric water option. We love it. It is quiet; We just leave it on when connected to shore power; the water is always hot; it reduces the need to fill tanks.

We have never given a thought to the cost of propane. When you pay this much for a travel trailer it is just a nit.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #363

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I got the dual power option for my water tank. In 4yrs we have yet to fire up the hot water heater on electricity. The cost of propane used to fire the hot water heater is very minimal relative to the other uses we have for propane (furnace, fridge, stove, gas grill, firebowl), so I am quite unconcerned with the cost of heating water with propane. However, I do have that option of powering my hot water heater off of electricity should the need ever arise.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #364

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I know this is a stretch, but is there anyone out there who uses their on-board propane exclusively for the water heater (not for cooking, heating, outdoor fire pit, etc.) who can give a real-world example of how long a 20 lb propane tank lasts them? Or anyone with some basis for a real estimate, not simply a guess?
I doubt anyone uses the water heater exclusively so I'll take a stab at a calculation that should be pretty accurate. Suburban SW6D(E) water heater is 12,000 BTU/H input. Propane @ 60F has an energy content of 91,502 BTU/LB. The usage is therefore 0.131 LB/HR when operating the water heater (burner firing). If you have a 20 LB propane tank that would allow for 152.5 hours of burner operation...or almost 6.5 days continuous (unrealistic)....or if burner on for 2 hours each day about 11 weeks. The reason I say burner on is because once the tank is up to temperature it is well insulated and holds temperature quite well and will cycle. Just because the switch is on does not mean it is using propane. With a recovery of 10.2 gals/hr it takes ~35 mins to heat the 6 gallon tank to set point (130F). Therefore my estimate of 2 hrs per day of use seems realistic if you only turn it on for use a few times a day.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #365

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Depending on an individual's hot water usage, I think one could burn through $100 worth of propane in weeks or months, not "many years." Then there is the relative convenience/inconvenience of driving back and forth to a propane refill station, which again will vary greatly by individual (we feel lucky to have several options within a 15 mile range of our home). I know this is a stretch, but is there anyone out there who uses their on-board propane exclusively for the water heater (not for cooking, heating, outdoor fire pit, etc.) who can give a real-world example of how long a 20 lb propane tank lasts them? Or anyone with some basis for a real estimate, not simply a guess? We already have the 2-way ($200 on our build sheet), so it's not affecting any decision on our part. I'm just curious....
My 19 was picked up in May of 2014. I use propane for hot water, cooking , refrigerator and some heat. On average, I fill my propane tank every 30 days of camping or so. A local supplier fills tanks for about $7.00 one day per week. I think I’d have to live for many more years to justify getting a two way hot water heater.
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #366

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
................ A local supplier fills tanks for about $7.00 one day per week. I think I’d have to live for many more years to justify getting a two way hot water heater.
Some things just don't figure. We live in Ventura County, the ancestral home of Union Oil Company, and home to one of the largest oil fields in the country. We pay $25±/tank of propane, and you're paying what, a pittance! No fair.

Edit: At least our Escape is very, very economical on propane use.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #367

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Very efficient! At that usage rate, it seems one should travel with a just a single 20 pound tank and save the weight of the other on the trailer tongue.
I think ETI wants a heavier tongue weight, there were some issues with light tongue weight on earlier models, the ones with just propane, now with the box and batteries and propane up front the issue has been solved
Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #368

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe it's 91k btu's in a gallon, not a lb.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #369

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I got the dual power option for my water tank. In 4yrs we have yet to fire up the hot water heater on electricity. The cost of propane used to fire the hot water heater is very minimal relative to the other uses we have for propane (furnace, fridge, stove, gas grill, firebowl), so I am quite unconcerned with the cost of heating water with propane. However, I do have that option of powering my hot water heater off of electricity should the need ever arise.
For the first three weeks with our new camper the propane on the water heater did not work because of a faulty circut board - a common n problem with Suburban water heaters. It was great having the electric option. Once we used it for a bit, we were hooked; we only use the propane option when there is no Shore power. As with the old cereal advertisement: “Try it you will like it”. If you don’t try it you will never know if you like it.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #370

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I doubt anyone uses the water heater exclusively so I'll take a stab at a calculation that should be pretty accurate. Suburban SW6D(E) water heater is 12,000 BTU/H input. Propane @ 60F has an energy content of 91,502 BTU/LB. The usage is therefore 0.131 LB/HR when operating the water heater (burner firing). If you have a 20 LB propane tank that would allow for 152.5 hours of burner operation...or almost 6.5 days continuous (unrealistic)....or if burner on for 2 hours each day about 11 weeks. The reason I say burner on is because once the tank is up to temperature it is well insulated and holds temperature quite well and will cycle. Just because the switch is on does not mean it is using propane. With a recovery of 10.2 gals/hr it takes ~35 mins to heat the 6 gallon tank to set point (130F). Therefore my estimate of 2 hrs per day of use seems realistic if you only turn it on for use a few times a day.
One of my closest advisors on the forum has pointed out an error in one of my units which has my numbers off by a factor of more than 4. I stand corrected. Propane energy content is 91,502 BTU/GALLON or 21,548 BTU/LB. The usage rate is 0.557 LB/HR. With a 20 LB tank this results in ~36 hours of burner operation...or 1.5 days constant...or more realistic, 2.5 weeks at 2 hours of operation per day.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #371

Trailer: 2000
Quote:
One of my closest advisors on the forum has pointed out an error in one of my units which has my numbers off by a factor of more than 4. I stand corrected. Propane energy content is 91,502 BTU/GALLON or 21,548 BTU/LB. The usage rate is 0.557 LB/HR. With a 20 LB tank this results in ~36 hours of burner operation...or 1.5 days constant...or more realistic, 2.5 weeks at 2 hours of operation per day.
I like your first answer better!
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #372

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thanks for calculating all that and explaining it so clearly. I'm glad someone was paying attention in Math class. I was too busy in Math class flirting in with my then future wife of now 35 years and still going strong!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #373

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Therefore my estimate of 2 hrs per day of use seems realistic if you only turn it on for use a few times a day.
Whatever. I don't really care if it saves a few pennies or not.
If it helps extend my boondocking time, that's nice. Besides, on the few occasions when I have to pay sometimes high prices for little more than a parking spot it's nice to at least use the electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Some things just don't figure. We live in Ventura County, the ancestral home of Union Oil Company, and home to one of the largest oil fields in the country. We pay $25±/tank of propane, and you're paying what, a pittance! No fair.
Yah, tell me about it. There's an oil refinery locally. We drive across Canada and the US and nowhere is the gas price as high as it is here. Even in the most remote of places.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #374

Trailer: None now
We have the dual mode water heater and the 120v mode came in handy when the igniter board failed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #375

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Depending on an individual's hot water usage, I think one could burn through $100 worth of propane in weeks or months, not "many years."
Here's some data for you: I left home on April 12 for a long trip in my trailer. To date I have spent $171.96 on propane refills. And I broke my fridge in August, so it isn't using propane.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #376

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Dual power water heater

For comparison, we've put a little over 40,000 miles on our 21' and have refilled five propane tanks in the three years, and not all were totally empty. Our local Costco charges $1.79 per gallon, so around $40 so far.
We have shore power about two-thirds of the time, and take showers in the trailer if the campground showers are not sufficient, or there aren't any.
Having paid for the dual power, I figure we'll be coming out ahead in about another 100,000 miles.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #377

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... We already have the 2-way ($200 on our build sheet), so it's not affecting any decision on our part. ...
I should have clarified that was $200 CAD, or $150 USD at the time.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here's some data for you: I left home on April 12 for a long trip in my trailer. To date I have spent $171.96 on propane refills. And I broke my fridge in August, so it isn't using propane.
Me thinks your signature explains more use than others..... you love the stuff...
Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #379

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
For comparison, we've put a little over 40,000 miles on our 21' and have refilled five propane tanks in the three years, and not all were totally empty. Our local Costco charges $1.79 per gallon, so around $40 so far.
We have shore power about two-thirds of the time, and take showers in the trailer if the campground showers are not sufficient, or there aren't any.
Having paid for the dual power, I figure we'll be coming out ahead in about another 100,000 miles.
about par as our use
Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #380

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Everything is not about money to everyone.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote