If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 20 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #381

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the duel electric / propane water heater and for us it is more about the convenience than the propane use. When plugged in to shore power, there is always hot water and it is silent. When disconnected from the grid and using propane, inevitably we forget to turn it off before going to bed. Then in the middle of the night the thing fires up right underneath us (in the 19') and I have to get out of bed to turn it off. The sound isn't loud but just enough to annoy. Then remember to turn it back on for washing the breakfast dishes. I suppose if we were doing more boon docking, these routines would be more of a habit, but our camping style is a mix of connected / disconnected locations.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #382

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
We have the duel electric / propane water heater and for us it is more about the convenience than the propane use. When plugged in to shore power, there is always hot water and it is silent. When disconnected from the grid and using propane, inevitably we forget to turn it off before going to bed. Then in the middle of the night the thing fires up right underneath us (in the 19') and I have to get out of bed to turn it off. The sound isn't loud but just enough to annoy. Then remember to turn it back on for washing the breakfast dishes. I suppose if we were doing more boon docking, these routines would be more of a habit, but our camping style is a mix of connected / disconnected locations.
Arnie add a led light to your water heater . Very easy to do . Tells you if water heater is on or off . We only turn water heater on for a few minutes , the longest is for showers , then we turn it off . Water stays hot for a long time . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #383

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I miss the pilot light water heaters. You only had to light the pilot when you arrived in camp and never turn the WH on, just leave it on pilot. Always plenty of hot water for a shower in the morning or dishes, etc. with just the pilot light running. Talk about sipping a tank of propane as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #384

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think it’s all about establishing habits. In my case, I turn the WH on when starting to fix a meal. I turn it off when I start to wash the dishes. Always plenty of hot water to take care of business. I think this applies to all routines needed when traveling with a travel trailer. The more ingrained the habit, the less likely you will forget. So if someone interrupts a routine, you know that something is wrong and take the time to figure out what is wrong.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I miss the pilot light water heaters. You only had to light the pilot when you arrived in camp and never turn the WH on, just leave it on pilot. Always plenty of hot water for a shower in the morning or dishes, etc. with just the pilot light running. Talk about sipping a tank of propane as well.
Hi Greg remember those days too. How is the water pump installation of accumulator going ? I still need to get in there and install ours . Pat
Old 10-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #386

Hey Pat,
I’ll be bringing the trailer over in the next two weeks for fall waxing and will try and get it done then.
Been fashioning the red oak block to install the new stripper pole ETI sent. I noticed that it will need some wood biscuits inserted in each pole base so the pole doesn’t bite the countertop or upper cabinets. Don’t trust just using the tightening screw to keep the pole from gouging.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #387

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Arnie add a led light to your water heater . Very easy to do . Tells you if water heater is on or off . We only turn water heater on for a few minutes , the longest is for showers , then we turn it off . Water stays hot for a long time . Pat
An LED can be added, but I think a replacement lighted switch is cleaner. Maybe I'm bias

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post210886
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
An LED can be added, but I think a replacement lighted switch is cleaner. Maybe I'm bias

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post210886
Adding the little green led was very simple even for me who knows very little about electrical . Pat
Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #389

Quote:
Hey Pat,
I’ll be bringing the trailer over in the next two weeks for fall waxing and will try and get it done then.
Been fashioning the red oak block to install the new stripper pole ETI sent. I noticed that it will need some wood biscuits inserted in each pole base so the pole doesn’t bite the countertop or upper cabinets. Don’t trust just using the tightening screw to keep the pole from gouging.
Great Greg . I am trying to decide to just hook up to pump or get high water pressure hose ? I have always hated the way the pump is installed and wanted to change it's orientation. We need to be able to get to little tank in case to charge or check air pressure . So interested what you come up with for installation. Greg I left about 1/8 in clearance and use the tightening screws . So far good . Pat
Old 10-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #390

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Hey Pat,
What went wrong with the original pole?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #391

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I think it’s all about establishing habits. In my case, I turn the WH on when starting to fix a meal. I turn it off when I start to wash the dishes. Always plenty of hot water to take care of business. I think this applies to all routines needed when traveling with a travel trailer. The more ingrained the habit, the less likely you will forget. So if someone interrupts a routine, you know that something is wrong and take the time to figure out what is wrong.
Absolutely. I read other forums and after all of the things that I have seen happen to people, we turn off what we are not using and make certain that all items are off when leaving the campground.

Easy to forget so much, so it helps to have a routine of walking around the trailer when leaving. You will find all kinds of things: hatch door wide open, exterior light on in the day, things left outside that you want inside, and plenty more!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #392

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Me thinks your signature explains more use than others..... you love the stuff...
I guess. Also, I dry camp as much as possible if it is not too hot outside. I turn the water heater on in the morning to heat water for a shower but try to leave it off otherwise, and I turn the furnace down to 65 F at night. If I let it get colder I don't want to get up in the morning.

But I do seem to use a lot of propane. Just filled a tank today, as a matter of fact.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What went wrong with the original pole?
Hey Jim,
I have the Classic so no original pole. The spider cracking on my roof is directly above where they decided to add a pole to the new 19 so figured there musta been some logic to supporting that long span of upper cabinets. I asked ETI if they would provide a pole for me to retrofit and they graciously did. In the Classic you have to do a little modification to put the pole in and doing that prep now.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #394

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Hey Jim,
I have the Classic so no original pole. The spider cracking on my roof is directly above where they decided to add a pole to the new 19 so figured there musta been some logic to supporting that long span of upper cabinets. I asked ETI if they would provide a pole for me to retrofit and they graciously did. In the Classic you have to do a little modification to put the pole in and doing that prep now.
I had a 2014 classic 21 with the pole, ah but now I remember, ETI did not start this in the 19 until the 2nd G started.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #395

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
I would not get the U shape dinette. It looks wonderful, but I have to make it into a bed every evening for my Mom and make it a dinette again in the morning. It is a PITA for me as I find the table heavy and very awkward. Next time, I'll have the regular dinette which is much easier to make into a bed.

I need to mention that my permanent bed is in the front and the u shape dinette is in the rear - reversed from the normal layout.
Age old post, but this is the first I read of this. It's harder to make the u shaped dinette into a bed? We have a toddler and it'll have to be done often. I swear I asked this recently and everyone said it's no different, but I'm not sure now that I asked that specifically.
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 AM   #396

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I don’t see how it could be more difficult with the U shaped dinette. The standard table is also quite heavy; not what I’d call easy to put into bed mode and back again. (We have the standard table.)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 AM   #397
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Age old post, but this is the first I read of this. It's harder to make the u shaped dinette into a bed? We have a toddler and it'll have to be done often. I swear I asked this recently and everyone said it's no different, but I'm not sure now that I asked that specifically.
I don't see how it's harder to make the bed with the U-shaped dinette either. The table is smaller and lighter with the U-shape, not heavier.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #398

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
That's good to know. The less options the better when we we order ours. We hope to get the 5.0TA.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #399

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
That's good to know. The less options the better when we we order ours. We hope to get the 5.0TA.

Frank
Hi: frank_a... our 2014 5.0TA has the optional "U" shaped dinette. Wouldn't have it any other way!!! Here's a look "Down under"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030934.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #400

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: frank_a... our 2014 5.0TA has the optional "U" shaped dinette. Wouldn't have it any other way!!! Here's a look "Down under"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
For 400 bucks, I think I'll go with stock Alf. We have to whittle the options down if we want to get one of these. Initially I wanted to get aluminum wheels. No now. Things I can easily add later (like aluminum wheels) if I have the bucks are coming off the options list. Gotta whittle away!

We're a ways off anyways.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote