If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #221

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, no trailer requires a weight distribution hitch. Some tow vehicles can't handle the tongue weight of the trailer without a weight distribution hitch - the need (or more commonly, desire) depends on the combination of tug and trailer.
I completely disagree with you here....

my tug is a Acura MDX and I'm towing a 17' Casita travel trailer. Tongue weight is about 300-ish lbs.

My hitch has a 500 lb tongue weight rating, so by your logic I dont require my Curt 17000 WDH.

However I know for a fact that my Curt WDH distributes the weight forward, thus better loading my front wheels. (and my tug is 4WD so WDH gets me bonus benefit)

This WDH improves braking, and handling.

It also smooths out the ride, so any bumps are much softer.

I would never tow my Casita without my WDH. For me, it is a safety AND a ride smoothness issue.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #222

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Brian was implying a requirement meaning you can proceed without one versus a desire or want to use one in that it helps in other ways....
Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #223

Trailer: 2014 scamp 13
Does it help to rotate trailer tires? Seems they age out long before tread wear is an issue. Plus they are not subject to steering wear. And if radials, not recomended to move from side to side. I'm confused, a not infrequent condition these days.

John
Toymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #224

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The only thing I have noticed on the 19 is that the rear tires wore a little more due to the scuffing you get while turning, especially backing. So front to back rotation probably would not hurt. Ours are 5 years old and have over 40,000 miles on them. Both the previous owner and I are very focused on proper inflation and daily inspection. I'm still at about 5/32 nds tread and will replace before spring. A good tire gauge is very valuable. I run the Marathons at 48 psi in regular weather and 46 if it's going to be above 85 degrees. That's cold in the AM they pressure up during the day. Works for me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think Brian was implying a requirement meaning you can proceed without one versus a desire or want to use one in that it helps in other ways....
Aha. I misunderstood.... very tired + 2 drinks made me misunderstand late last night.

I apologize Brian for my misunderstanding. Sorry about that.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #226

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
No problem - some things need a couple rounds of discussion to get the idea across.

But there's a little more clarification needed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
...my tug is a Acura MDX and I'm towing a 17' Casita travel trailer. Tongue weight is about 300-ish lbs.

My hitch has a 500 lb tongue weight rating, so by your logic I dont require my Curt 17000 WDH.
The tow vehicle is much more than the hitch; I didn't say some hitches can't handle the tongue weight, I said some tow vehicles can't handle it. The hitch weight rating of the MDX may be lower than that of the hitch, but whatever the rating If the MDX can't handle the tongue weight of a Casita 17' well (which doesn't surprise me), then this seems like an example of a combination which needs a weight distribution system.

A tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase would have less need for WD; for instance, my Sienna tows a trailer with about 300 pounds of tongue weight and has no need for WD to do that. If you go more extreme and tow with a Ford F-450, you certainly don't need a WD system to tow any Escape... but of course you can still use one if you want.

For any trailer there's a tow vehicle that can properly handle it, others than can handle it with extra hardware, and many which are just not adequate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #227

There are too many variables in the equation and to ask for a definitive answer is asking a lot. I had a 500 lbs limit on my hitch, but I also had 35,000 miles on the shocks and the rear end sagged when connect, thus I needed a WDH. On the same newer vehicle the suspension may not give and therefore you may not need one. Only you can answer the question and that is after hooking up and towing.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #228

Trailer: building 2015 17B for December
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is exactly what I made for BlackJack, the "U" dinette is now a lounge area that allows two to raise their feet and sit back and relax.
I am building a 17B. Will the lounge idea work well on that model also? I will travel alone mostly but will have occasional guests. Does it still convert to a bed easily if needed? Where does the filler board store? i love the idea. Thank you for sharing the photos.
rvbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #229

You need to compare the measurements between the 17 and 21 to compare my pictures to yours. The filler board can be stored anywhere, mine is under the bed.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #230

Bump to a somewhat old thread

What would you do differently if you were to order your Escape again?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #231

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd order a 2017 19' trailer.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #232

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
We ordered 3 of the small fold-down tables on our 21 - one by the door, and one on each side of the dinette. We have never used the ones on each side of the dinette, and they make it harder to raise up the cushions to get to the storage underneath or to put the table down, so I would leave those two off.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #233

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Bump to a somewhat old thread

What would you do differently if you were to order your Escape again?

The only change I'd make is to add the power Jack option. There's a lot more cranking than I anticipated, and when setting up camp and breaking down camp, that's when I start to sweat. Everything else is slower paced and comfortable

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
We ordered 3 of the small fold-down tables on our 21 - one by the door, and one on each side of the dinette. We have never used the ones on each side of the dinette, and they make it harder to raise up the cushions to get to the storage underneath or to put the table down, so I would leave those two off.
Hmmmmmmm very interesting. I had not thought of this..... This is very interesting info.

Our child will be using the dinette bed every night, and we got the pedestal to make that daily transition easier.

I was going to get one small fold down table - for one of the sides of the dinette - to give our child a space to put a book, a water bottle, a flashlight, etc .... At night.

I wonder .... If you could guess what side would be less annoying to have just one of those tables - would it be stove side or fridge side (in a 21')

FWIIW we will get the rear driver side exterior hatch to get to the space under there, on the driver side. So maybe we put the one flip down table by the fridge?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
The only change I'd make is to add the power Jack option. There's a lot more cranking than I anticipated, and when setting up camp and breaking down camp, that's when I start to sweat. Everything else is slower paced and comfortable
The good news Steve is that it is fairly easy to retrofit one on..... I have read.

And

A couple different places to steal power from. I have read.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #236
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you could do it again, what would be different?

The flip down tables are removed in less than 5 minutes. The Power Jack install takes less than 30. I'd like to see folks thoughts on a major component or feature that they'd change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 AM   #237

Depending on your 21' unit, if you get the "U" option ETI put my batteries on the curb side and everything else on the street side. I had the entire rear compartment free for storage and the dual flip up table which were ideal when making the rear into a lounge area, removing the center table, adding a filler board and just using the flips. See #230 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #238

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Options I would delete:
- I have the reading lights above the bed in my 21. I never use them. They might be more useful to me in the dinette area, though.

Options I would add:
- A hard-wired rear view camera. At first I thought I could do without it, but more recently I've been in situations where it would really help. I have installed a wifi rear-view camera but the screen updates slowly, limiting its usefulness.

- A digital control for the A/C, since from what I've read here it allows the A/C's fan to run slower and quieter.

- An oven. The Escape 21 has much more storage than a single person needs, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some of it for an oven.

- More windows. I'd be tempted by the front window. Also, I think Escape offers a second window in the kitchen area (could be wrong). I have the small bathroom window and I like it. You can't have too many windows IMHO.

- That power filter / conditioner gizmo. I guess I could install one.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #239

Mike,
The additional window in the 21 has been on the street side, over the night stand area.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #240

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Hmmmmmmm very interesting. I had not thought of this..... This is very interesting info.

Our child will be using the dinette bed every night, and we got the pedestal to make that daily transition easier.

Thanks.
I know ur NOT getting the u-dinette, but if you were there would be no need to make it into a bed every night for lil camper. Sleeping bag and child fit very comfortably on the rear bench of the U. Our 16 yr old still fits comfortably on there so it's good for years to come.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote