If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #281
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Entering one of our local gas stations from the South, you have to go down into a storm drainage depression then sharply up an incline. It's hard enough to get any vehicle in and out without scraping bottom somewhere, let alone when towing.
The road to my place goes under a railroad trestle built in 1922 with a 10ft 6 inch clearance right next to a neighborhood tavern/restaurant. I know the owners, and he said every summer they help pick up air conditioners and parts raked off the roof of half a dozen RVs. Gets really ugly when a tall box truck whacks the trestle and gets stuck under it - county has to bring in workers with power saws to cut the trucks loose. Lots of metal shrapnel stuck in the woodwork of the trestle year round.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #282

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, as my biology teacher in Tanzania said, "the root goes down due to gravity, the stem goes up due to opposing gravity".
Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #283

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I think it was in West Virginia where a town got tired of arguing with the railroad company to raise a similarly low trestle, and the final solution was to dig out and lower the road going underneath it. So I guess the gravity concept won out on that one.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #284

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We like have all the insulation options and wouldn't change that. The water systems in the Escape are NOT useable much below freezing as there is no heat source for the terminal ends of the black and gray tanks and they will freeze even though insulated.

Would eliminate the propane quick connect funtion. Never used the generator as the solar system is so robust, and the connections to the BBQ are a PIA.
LOVE the equipment box up front.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #285

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
A good sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
We would do the following different:
No side tables in the dinette; put a 12 volt (cigarette lighter) near the TV for easier access in the dinette area; should have traded the mattress out in the beginning and bought our memory foam from the get-go rather than trading it out later.........
Tom
Do I take it that the mattress ETI provides is pretty decent? Only one person mentions that they would delete it from a future order.
I have always been under the impression that RV beds aren't very good..
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #286

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfielder View Post
Do I take it that the mattress ETI provides is pretty decent? Only one person mentions that they would delete it from a future order.
The Escape mattress is quite comfortable compared to other rv beds I have slept in.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #287

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Right on, War Eagle. I know I encounter these situations on forest service roads, but your comment brought to mind gas stations where I scraped my hitch, which BTW I would much rather do than the tanks and plumbing that hang down from the trailer.

On the foam insulation question, David H brought up a good point. The floor can let in a lot of cold when you camp in the cold, so why just insulate the walls and ceiling. And I'm not even talking freezing. I was surprised how cold it got as we camped in New Mexico in September. We camped at high elevation where it was refrigerator cold just 15 minutes from the old historic Santa Fe. I can only imagine how cold the floor would have been at night without it.
That was exactly my comment in #267, why everything but the basement?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #288

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Would eliminate the propane quick connect funtion.
This goes to show how much preferences differ for user to user, just as with many other options. For me, the QC is one of my favourite options, I just love the plug and play with no extra tanks of propane needed.
Quote:
We swapped out the 5" foam mattress for a top quality foam with latex foam topper in our 2009 19 after it got too soft in 5 years. Loved the new mattress. We were of the mind to do something similar in our 5.0, but after laying on the mattress they provide and liking it, we decided that for the cost difference ($150 saving and around $1,000 for our supplied one), that we would definitely give the Escape supplied mattress a good try.

In our temp trailer this year, the mattress that came with it was a bit lacking, but we added a 2" convoluted foam mattress topper, and slept great on it. This could be added to the Escape mattress for around $100 (all costs quoted are CAD)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #289

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Use the QC all the time for the Camp Chef oven or their MVP stove/BBQ which we alternate packing for trips.

While I agree that $150 credit for mattress is small my rating of the stock mattress is soft-to-medium for firmness. If you like a firmer mattress you likely will be replacing sooner than later if you use it a lot.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #290

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think it was in West Virginia where a town got tired of arguing with the railroad company to raise a similarly low trestle, and the final solution was to dig out and lower the road going underneath it. So I guess the gravity concept won out on that one.
They haven't dug this one out yet in NC. Instead they have put a steel beam across to protect the bridge and warning lights, but it still gets hit. Be prepared to laugh pretty hard...

www.youtube.com/yovo68
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #291

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We like the bed -- it's firm enough but not too firm for us.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #292

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi we went with Escape's bed after member stated it was very comfortable , and ending up selling it . If you are used to Select Comfort or a latex bed , which we have both , the springs make pressure points and it is uncomfortable . The mattress is very nice though . It depends what you are use to sleeping on . Used to be able ,younger sleeping on anything including floor , not anymore . Sorry can't be more helpful then this . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #293

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
They haven't dug this one out yet in NC. Instead they have put a steel beam across to protect the bridge and warning lights, but it still gets hit. Be prepared to laugh pretty hard...

www.youtube.com/yovo68
Unfortunately, they can't dig it out. There are water, sewer, and other utilities under the road.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #294

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The road to my place goes under a railroad trestle built in 1922 with a 10ft 6 inch clearance right next to a neighborhood tavern/restaurant. I know the owners, and he said every summer they help pick up air conditioners and parts raked off the roof of half a dozen RVs. Gets really ugly when a tall box truck whacks the trestle and gets stuck under it - county has to bring in workers with power saws to cut the trucks loose. Lots of metal shrapnel stuck in the woodwork of the trestle year round.
Wow, Charlie.
If that's the one on Helvetia Rd, under the Portland & Western, (I looked it up on Google Maps & FRA Maps), I'm surprised the Google camera car made it through.
The Google street view looking north shows some pretty good dings!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #295
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Wow, Charlie.
If that's the one on Helvetia Rd, under the Portland & Western, (I looked it up on Google Maps & FRA Maps), I'm surprised the Google camera car made it through.
Yup, lots of metal embedded in the overpass. The county actually dug out the road beneath it; now we have to ford a pond when it rains really hard. Like every winter in Oregon. I always have to let customers coming for an installation know that their Escape trailers can get under the trestle.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #296

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Wow, Charlie.
Yeah, that's pretty tight!
10198 NW Helvetia Rd, Hillsboro, Oregon

As of 2012, the cameras were apparently at 8.2 ft (2.5 m) above the ground; assuming that's the optical centre, the top of the unit would be under that trestle, but not by a lot: A Glimpse of Google's Fleet of Camera-Equipped Street View Cars
This means that all current unmodified Escape models other than the 5.0TA have their top at about "eye level" for Street View without air conditioner, and will clear whatever the Street View car does even with an air conditioner. A 5.0TA is tall enough that if you're using Street View to check out a route, it would be worth looking up at low points to see if there's some room.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #297

Hi we have to complete our build sheet today and we keep going back and forth on the refrigerator option. We are getting an oven. If we get the 5 cubic foot refrigerator we have the nice user friendly storage space above the refrigerator. If we get the 6 cubic foot refrigerator we loose it.

What is the size of your refrigerator and do you have an oven. It doesn't seem that with large refrigerator and with oven that there is much usable storage space in the 19?
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #298

hinged table

What does the hinged table look like? Is it available in the 19?
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #299

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
Hi we have to complete our build sheet today and we keep going back and forth on the refrigerator option. We are getting an oven. If we get the 5 cubic foot refrigerator we have the nice user friendly storage space above the refrigerator. If we get the 6 cubic foot refrigerator we loose it.

What is the size of your refrigerator and do you have an oven. It doesn't seem that with large refrigerator and with oven that there is much usable storage space in the 19?
It was discussed here.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...foot-9510.html
Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #300

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Our opinion only . Small trailer , small refrigerator .Why a huge refrigerator in a small space ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote