If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
also we do post a lot of pictures to help those who wish to replicate our efforts
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #102

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Don't forget that they probably started working a lot earlier though.

(Says she who absolutely loved her job but has been retired for over fifteen years.)
Karen,
That still doesn't make it fair.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #103

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
RBRYAN4, will you be at the rally in Bandera in April? While I don't have my 5.0 yet, I live in Bandera and plan to be there to get guidance on finalizing my options list which has to be done by June 1.
MacMan
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #104

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
.... But I do think Charlie , Jim and Myron are being insensitive about having all the time in the world to work on there trailer projects. I think I am turning green with jealousy
Mark, I absolutely agree.
I figured it would be relatively easy to make it the two years until I retire, even after ordering my Escape, but those guys on this forum posting about their projects, and even barraging us with photos, .... and having fun. It's just tough to keep on keepin' on. (I do love my job; 50 pay periods to go).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #105

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I do appreciate having more time to work on the trailer and other projects after retiring, I do miss the perks of the job - while I dealt with the electronics of the Theatre Department I worked for, the fully equipped wood, metal & costume shops were available. Sure made any "project" easier. Things like a 24" band saw, a 14" table saw with a 4' X 8' table & Biesemeyer fence, MIG welder, Di-Acro Bender, industrial sewing machines, etc. (and the electronics shop wasn't too shabby!)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #106
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
RBRYAN4, will you be at the rally in Bandera in April? While I don't have my 5.0 yet, I live in Bandera and plan to be there to get guidance on finalizing my options list which has to be done by June 1.
MacMan
Yes! We are registered for the entire rally, but we may not be able to attend all 5 days. We will definitely be there on the weekend.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #107

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
MacMan
Hi Macman,
There will be about 10 Escapes at Bandera-several 19s, an older 5.0, a 21 and possibly the new 5.0TAs. I believe Tammy and Reace are signed up too. This will be a great time for you to visit the owners and check out the options. We will be there too (we are from San Antonio as well if you want to stop in to see our 19).

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #108

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
We are putting a front window on the 5.0ta. It is good to be able to see all sides of your camping area especially at nite.

ken and diana
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Won't a front window on the 5.0 be hard to access the stone guard or if no stone guard that window may make it very cold up there, particularly with the access hatch overhead and surrounded by windows on 3 sides?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #110

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That sounds like a great idea, Ken. I too love lots of windows around the bed are, like in the 19. I don't imagine a rock guard would be needed on a window up there, would it? What are the specs on this window, dual glazed, operating or fixed, etc?

Jim, as far as being colder, that wee bit of insulation loss would not matter much, and with a forced air furnace, the air circulates anyway. I know cold nights (which we see a lot of) with the big windows around our bed in the 19 are not an issue at all. I do wonder a bit about circulation in the loft area though. Mind you, if it was an issue, a tiny fan up there would circulate things fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That sounds like a great idea, Ken. I too love lots of windows around the bed are, like in the 19. I don't imagine a rock guard would be needed on a window up there, would it? What are the specs on this window, dual glazed, operating or fixed, etc?

Jim, as far as being colder, that wee bit of insulation loss would not matter much, and with a forced air furnace, the air circulates anyway. I know cold nights (which we see a lot of) with the big windows around our bed in the 19 are not an issue at all. I do wonder a bit about circulation in the loft area though. Mind you, if it was an issue, a tiny fan up there would circulate things fine.
My understanding is that they would use the same window from the 17 or 19, not sure for sure. It was quoted as about a $300.00 appx (dont hold me to that) option back a little while.

As far as accessing the cover, just a quick jump up on the truck bed should do it.

Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #112
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
We are putting a front window on the 5.0ta. It is good to be able to see all sides of your camping area especially at nite.

ken and diana
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #113

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
That also goes for the previous camper we had and previous motor home too . We always wished front window was not there . Looks like most manufacturer 's have eliminated the front windows because they are a problem you don't want or need .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #114

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I understand the idea, but i wouldn't do it. I agree with Donna - it's not likely to be very effective for looking around - a "backup" camera looking forward would probably work better, without making a window opening in the front of the trailer. I think there are reasons that front windows in fifth-wheels are extremely rare... but the only important thing is that your trailer works for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #115

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Given that you don't have to go outside to the "john", I'd forgo the window and wait until morning to look around.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #116

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Maybe a see through dome skylight would give you those 360° views you desire.

Or maybe something like this?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #117

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Donna, you make a lot of good points. I agree, I would not go with the front window..
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #118

i guess to each their own, but I believe escape uses a very good sealant around the windows, and it would be a non opening window, so I think the extra light and view at nite wud be worth the risk.

Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #119

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too think that installation could easily be done to ensure no leakage. I like the idea of lots of natural light, though I imagine the escape hatch would help with that matter too. A bit of a view from the loft would not be too bad either. I know in my 19, though with big windows, I love gawking around at the world as I contemplate getting out of bed for the day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
i guess to each their own, but I believe escape uses a very good sealant around the windows, and it would be a non opening window, so I think the extra light and view at nite wud be worth the risk.

Ken
Think the problem could be flexing going down the road which eventually loosens the seal .we had to keep going to glass man to reseal . He used what is used for windshield sealing . It would loosen up after awhile . We had our camper and motor home 12 and 11 years . Not trying to tell you what to do . Just sharing experience.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote