In process of getting an Escape for myself... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
In process of getting an Escape for myself...

Hi all,

I found this forum via the web site from Escape. I am currently shopping around for a camper for myself, and got to the conclusion that it has to be fiberglass, after looking at a T@B and Hi-Lo first. After looking more into depths in the fiberglass department (Scamp, Casita, Escape), I narrowed my choice very fast down to Scamp being not a choice, Casita being second choice, Escape first choice. Now it is basically one question: Which size am I going to take. 13' or 15' or even 17'. I already know that I will take floor plan B of either. I read the earlier thread 13' vs 15', and was also e-mailing with Tammy from Escape.

I have several factors to consider: It is just my daughter and me using this camper, meaning a 13' would be sufficient. However, if adding a bathroom 15' leaves more room. 17' might be going in the direction of being too big for us, as it might get too difficult to handle with. However, it has a great floor plan B. What is your experience with the 13' camper, does it have sufficient space? How easy is the 17' to handle? I am a single mom of a 4-year old girl, so I would need to be able to do everything by myself. Obviously I don't need to ask for the 15', because it is not out yet.

Keep in mind, I am an absolute newbie, have been only tent camping before. I never towed a trailer behind my car (4Runner) as well, only behind a tractor... And that, I assume, is different.

Gerda
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: In process of getting an Escape for myself...

Welcome to the Escape forum Gerda

I think you will find out if you can tow a 13" you will also be fine with the 15" or 17".
Your 4Runner should have no problems with the 17" and you will come to enjoy the extra room.
There are a lot of first time trailer owners here and I'm sure they will let you know how
nice the Escape trailer tow and how easy they are to maneuver in tight areas.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
WRJ

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15

We have a 13" and it works great for the 2 of us. You should ask Tammy to send you some information on the 13"C" as it tends to make the small space more open. The larger refer is also a good addition. Depending on your tow vehicle you may not need an equilizer/stablizer hitch, we have a Dodge Dakota and do not use one, making hook up easier. No matter which model you decide on You will be dealing with great folks who will help modify to your requirements.
Good Luck
WRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Congrats on your decision Gerda. Backing up anything attache to a tractor is pretty much the same as reversing with a trailer attached. If you have a smooth, hard packed site you might be able to move the trailer around.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gharms and welcome to the far side!!! Make sure there will be enough room for you and your daughter...OTOH there will soon enough be a time when she will not want to go with you!!! I just know you won't go wrong with an Escape Trailer. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. here's a pic. from our 4000 mi. trip east. Blueberry fields near Deblois Me. p.p.s. Check out Show your Escape and look at Sandra L's Suite Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
blueberryhill.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Welcome, Gerda! And congratulations on recognizing a quality trailer and being confident enough to embark on trailer camping as a single parent!

If you're thinking to buy a new Escape, the 15' will be out by the time you could get any new trailer manufactured. The Escape main page gives an approximate wait time for a new trailer. A good used one would be great, but they're kind of hard to come by.

13, 15, or 17 -- there's a lot to think about. Personally, if I'm going to invest in a trailer, I've got to have a bathroom. Just ending those middle of the night trips to a campground bathroom or tree makes all the difference to me. Also, even though your daughter may eventually not want to go camping with you, long before that happens she'll be wanting to bring a friend. So having a space for another child (even an air mattress on the floor) might make a difference for you.

Have fun deciding!! Looking at floor plans, photos and such is half the fun. And you will not find better people to work with than Tammy and Reace.

One last thing, if you're backing up the 4Runner to the trailer by yourself, you might want to consider getting these: http://www.etrailer.com/p-53410.htm
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

Hi All,

I am decided what to get.... It will be the Escape 17'B, as I think that with this I will be most happy also in the long term. Size is just right. And it is a wonderful nice looking trailer, very functional with the second seating group. I called Tammy tonight in order to get quotes on the 15'B and 17'B with some options added on, and found that the 17'B is not that much more expensive than the 15'B. Definitely worth it to get the second seating group AND a bath room. About an hour after calling, I also wrote an e-mail to Tammy about my decision, and she told me that the 17' can be ready mid April 09 and delivered to Manitoba mid May 2010. Just in time to start the new camping season with a trip to Canada...

I definitely will get the hitch aligner things and a trailer dolly to make life with a trailer as easy as possible.

Now I just need to order and wait....

BTW, Tammy seems to be really nice, as far as I can judge from our conversation and e-mailing.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Hi Gerda and Welcome.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. The 4 Runner will be perfect. I bought a little furniture dolly for the equalizer hitch, tied a rope to it and it makes it very easy to put in into the receiver. If you have a level surface, the trailer dolly will make hookups easier too. Be sure to check out all the ideas for mods that are tailored for your needs. I wish I'd thought of the "junk drawer" on the wardrobe. (That's because I have a lot of junk. ).
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #9

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Congrats Gerda! I'm confidant you won't regret your decision. My wife & I are have always been tent campers as well. We have a 4 & 2 yr old and hadn't been tent camping as much in recent years after the addition of our kiddos. We wanted find a way to get back out there more often & make it a little easier to do so with the kids.

We decided to get our first travel trailer much like you and quickly found our way to fiberglass eggs & ultimately Escapes. We looked also hard at the Casitas, which are great trailers as well as a lot closer to us here in central TX, but the Escapes really called out to us for our needs/preferences. Originally, we were looking at the 17B but when the 19 came out, we knew that was the long-term choice for our family.

FYI - We'll be pulling our 19 with a '99 4Runner all the way back to TX from Chilliwack at the end of Sept (can't wait ). I had some concerns about whether the 4Runner can handle it, particularly through the mountains. Fortunately, there is another Escape 19 owner (the Eddys) who picked their 19 up earlier this summer and pulled it back to Vermont from Chilliwack with their 2000 4Runner with no problem. They even went through the Rockies like we'll be doing. Your 4Runner should be fine handling a 17B. However, one thing to consider is getting a transmission cooler installed if you don't already have one. I just got one put in a couple of weeks ago along with a Prodigy brake controller in preparation for our trip.

You may have thought that choosing a trailer was difficult, but now you're facing something more difficult - the waiting for your Escape to be built. Definitely keep up with this forum as there are great ideas and information available.

Congrats again,
Brad

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #10

Hi: Gerda...and Con-graduations too!!! You have cured your dose of 2ft.itis before your egg has hatched and I know you won't regret it. All through your posts I have been feeling the 17B was THE choice.
There are many single ladies that tow this size trailer with little or no difficulty!!! Now the planing starts and the ANTICIPATION!!! :P
We started with a 13'er and it was fun but the older I get the closer to the bathroom I need to be. Its a strange thing and after two years I'm still not used to being able to pull off along the road and use my own rather than search for a gas station...same thing with lunch, it's always there right behind you. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 08-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Its a strange thing and after two years I'm still not used to being able to pull off along the road and use my own rather than search for a gas station...same thing with lunch, it's always there right behind you.
The same here, though I looked for a tree, not a gas station.
Our last trailer was parked and used like a cabin most of the time. It had a much larger bathroom that we almost never used because we really did not want to have to deal with moving it to dump the black tank. Now I almost feel guilty using the toilet in the trailer, and still look for the nearest tree if one is available.
The wife though is not a tree person.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #12

Hi: Jim... We always try to find a site "In the trees". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. here's a shot caught by the neighbours
Attached Thumbnails
Bolerama\'09.jpg  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #13

Hi All,

yes, I am going to put my official order in today, for a 17'B. Then I will be able to pick it up mid May 2010. Wow, sounds far, far away... I think you folks are right, about the long wait being most difficult. While deciding, it is actually amazing how fast I came to prefer Escape over the other manufacturers. Already BEFORE dealing with Tammy, who is just wonderful!

I see it coming that I am making some friends around here as well.... One can never have too many of them!

I keep you updated! )

Gerda
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #14

... just did it, sent off the order e-mail to Tammy....

Gerda
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #15

Yippee!!!
Congrats Gerda, and welcome to the Escape family.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Wow---Exciting times and you WILL enjoy it....

17 B sounds like a good fit.. We sure love ours.....

Now, the e mails with all the plans start happening! You have lots of time to plan/ add more etc etc! we have all done it!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Gonna be exciting! You will love working with Tammy and Rease. Lots of ideas floating around for some modifications. Jim Bennet has been great helping with the installation of roof mounted telescopes which is awesome to get to watch the stars from bed : - ) Matter of fact, you've got to watch this new Escape family, they're ALWAYS ready to help! Have fun planning.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 19 ft.

Hi Gerda,

My name is Robin and I too had the same difficulty picking the right size for our needs. If possible ask Tammy for the
name of an owner near you to view their trailer. I was set on the new 15 ft. then changed to the 17 ft. both B
models by the floor plans on the escape website. I live in Edmonton AB. so we decided to drive to Chilliwack and
compare all the models. We don't have tow vehicle restrictions for trailer weight and we are a getting a little
older, so we chose the 19 ft. We also bring a 7 year old grandchild with us on holidays, it seems more often than
not. We also have to wait till spring to pick up our's and it's killing me. Good luck and read all the posts on this site
for great advice.

Robin

P.S. All us women are envious of the tree thing.
rharel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Congratulations Gerda.
Have you decided what, if any, modifications to order? If you intend to come to California's central valley during the summer, I'd recommend the air conditioner. I almost didn't get one thinking I'd probably never go where one was needed and the first trip out from home we went to the Sierra foothills and the temperature got to 106! Whew!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #20

Sandra, I have a fun list of options added: Dual propane tanks, better insulation package with dual pane windows, screen room, 15" tires and axle lift, hitch wheel, prep for bike rack, covers stove and sink, fitted cover, dual 6V batteries, maxx fan, front rock guards, starter pkg. I am actually leaving out the AC, because I am more looking into camping in the colder areas and in the colder seasons. I figured for me the screen room is the most important item. Main reason to get a trailer for me, a comfortable one that is keeping us warm in times when the tent is too cold and wet...

Robin, I have to agree with you on waiting. Waiting is already now difficult for me.... And I yet have to get the deposit to Tammy on Saturday, as they are closed tomorrow for a fun day. Size wise we will be best served with the 17', as it is just my little daughter and me camping. Gives us two seating/sleeping areas, bathroom and everything we desire.

Yes, yes, yes, there are countless times when I wished I could just go and visit the trees...