Inaugaral trip in 19 Classic - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Inaugaral trip in 19 Classic

I just returned to Calgary from 9 nights in my new Escape 19 Classic after picking it up in Chilliwack on June 10. I thought this might help prospective Escape owners. I previously owned an Escape 17B and sold it last September.
I spent two nights at Cottonwood Meadows right near Escape (in case any problems and to check hookups), then went to Cultus Lake Delta Grove for three nights, Paul Lake near Kamloops for 2 nights, and Martha Creek near Revelstoke for 2 nights.
I didn't have a WDH on my FJ Cruiser for towing the 17B but ordered one for the 19. I would highly recommend, and I would also highly recommend having Escape install it during the pickup. Also I would recommend the power tongue jack it will make life with the WDH much easier.
Towing with the FJ felt good, no problem maintaining at least 90 km/hr on all the grades except for the steep pitch coming out of the snow shed on the Coquihalla. Dropped to 80 there. For all you Toyota fans the FJ easily handles the 17 and 19 but I think a Sequoia or Tundra needed for anything bigger. Not sure about the Tacoma.
I considered getting the Springfield table after reading all the criticisms of the standard table but decided against. Standard table works just fine.
Still happy I went for custom floor, fabric and formica.
The bed in the 19 is great and so much better than the one in the 17. I have a 2" memory foam topper on it and it feels like home. I love having the bed made up all the time.
The 19 feels more spacious particularly in the kitchen and bathroom.
I'm glad I turned the stove 90 degrees, and the large refrigerator with separate freezer door works great. Love the matte stainless finish.
There is a lot more storage inside the 19, I just need to figure out the optimal way to use it. The big space under the bed has lots of potential.
I'm happy with the two drawers I had installed under the wardrobe, drawers work well for RV storage.
I purchased a set of Bal X-chocks from Escape they seem to add extra stability when camped.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Good to read you had a good trip, glad to read you are happy with your 19. Who knows we might see you "cruising" around in Alberta sometime
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Awesome shake down. Again, Congrats on the new 19, Hugh.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats Hugh. One trip down, hopefully many more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Towing with the FJ felt good, no problem maintaining at least 90 km/hr on all the grades except for the steep pitch coming out of the snow shed on the Coquihalla. Dropped to 80 there. For all you Toyota fans the FJ easily handles the 17 and 19 but I think a Sequoia or Tundra needed for anything bigger. Not sure about the Tacoma.
That's why we're getting a Tundra for our 21'. The Tacoma will need replacing eventually, so Dirk said to pick the trailer I wanted and not assume it'll get towed with the FJ.

Have fun in your new trailer and I'm sure you'll have the space situation figured out after a few trips.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
For all you Toyota fans the FJ easily handles the 17 and 19 but I think a Sequoia or Tundra needed for anything bigger. Not sure about the Tacoma.
We have a 19 and a 2105 Toyota Tacoma, V6 automatic with the tow package and we experience a significant drop in speed when going up grades. When we went up the Coquihalla, the speed dropped to about 60kph with the transmission shifting down to third gear and about 3500 RPM ! Not good for the gas consumption. Same thing when we went from Manning Park over to Osoyoos for the rally this year. Although we really love our Tacoma, I'm a bit disappointed in its performance on hills when towing.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We have a 19 and a 2105 Toyota Tacoma, V6 automatic with the tow package and we experience a significant drop in speed when going up grades. When we went up the Coquihalla, the speed dropped to about 60kph with the transmission shifting down to third gear and about 3500 RPM !
Okay, but at 3500 rpm the engine wasn't really working hard, and was producing roughly half of its peak power. If the transmission wouldn't shift down further by itself that's a transmission programming issue or an unfortunate gearing choice (either of which can be frustrating and a performance problem in itself)... but the engine has enough power if allowed to use it.

As previously discussed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't have the full power/torque curves of the Tacoma engine available, but we do know that at full throttle and 4000 rpm it is putting out (at sea level) 202 hp. 4500 will be something under 227 hp. At only 3000 rpm, it will be producing significantly less torque, at lower speed, for something much less than 150 hp. This is a reasonable speed range in which to run the engine continuously, and it's probably quite efficient in that range, but at the lower end it is putting out less than half its peak power. If you're willing to keep it at the top of that range - or higher - there is a lot more power available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Step on the gas.
I go up the Coquihalla at 90 kph towing my 17B with a RAV4 V6.
I slow to 80 kph when I hit the steepest section at the snow shed.
I'm towing in 4 and let the transmission do its job.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Any of the grades such as experienced on the Coquihalla and the Allison Pass at Manning are a challenge between speed and reasonable fuel consumption when towing.
Pick one.

For a truck engine, the Tacoma's peak torque is pretty high up in the rev band, around 4500 rpm or so.
I suspect when hoofing up the inclines at those rpm's it's not singing a pretty tune.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
For a truck engine, the Tacoma's peak torque is pretty high up in the rev band, around 4500 rpm or so.
I suspect when hoofing up the inclines at those rpm's it's not singing a pretty tune.
It's in a truck, but it's the same engine family as in nearly every other Toyota/Lexus vehicle with a V6, and the same specific engine as some others.
  • 2004-2015 Tacoma: 1GR-FE (same as most Toyota & Lexus body-on-frame trucks and SUVs, same "GR" family as Camry, Highlander, Sienna, RAV4, etc)
  • 2016- Tacoma: 2GR-FKS (same as Lexus GS 350 sedan, Lexus RX 350 SUV, Toyota Highlander SUV)
In light-duty vehicles (which includes pickup trucks), there is essentially no distinction between a "car engine" and a "truck engine"; if anything, it's a slight tuning difference. For instance, a Chevy pickup, a Camaro, and a base Corvette - each with the 6.2L GM small-block V8 - get the same engine, but tuned for 455 hp @ 6000 rpm in the cars and 420 hp @ 5600 rpm in the trucks.

My earlier (so different engine family) Toyota V6 is perfectly happy at 4500 rpm; I have no idea why a Tacoma engine wouldn't be fine with that speed. It is going to burn fuel at a high rate and make some noise...
Old 06-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
WOW ! I can't even imagine what 4500 rpm sounds like. At 3500 it sounds to me like the engine is about to hemorrhage. Maybe I'll have to get used to having a screaming engine if I want to maintain highway speeds on grades. On the other hand, maybe I'll just be content to run slower and save my engine
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #12

This is redline on my RAV4. About 6,250 RPM.
Not recommending you drive at redline, but you've still got a ways to go at 4,500 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
redline.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not recommending you drive at redline, but you've still got a ways to go at 4,500 rpm.
I've held the Highlander's feet to the fire a few times and listened to her sing at about 5500 RPM. I don't worry about it as long as relief, (the crest) isn't too far off. Good oil, plenty of coolant, transmission not hunting, ought to do it and if she won't, we'll get something else that will. We used to rap those small block Chevys to about 7,000 in the drag racing days and they usually ran the very best just before they blew. 3700 isn't even a good sweat on the Toyota V-6s as far as I'm concerned.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not recommending you drive at redline...
I'm disappointed - I was expecting to see the tach showing a current engine speed of 6,250 rpm, and I wanted to see what the speedo said.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm disappointed - I was expecting to see the tach showing a current engine speed of 6,250 rpm, and I wanted to see what the speedo said.
I would do it for you Brian except for
1. The state patrol in Iowa is revenue generation oriented.
2. There's not a road in Iowa smooth enough to accommodate that kind of speed
3. I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

131 in a 69 Dodge Charger was fast enough for me especially going over a bridge in southern Iowa and getting a light elevator feeling before she came down and steadied out.
How about you? top speed.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #16

I think the fastest I've gone is diving straight toward the ground in a aerobatic aircraft and then doing a loop and roll. I tried to explain to the pilot that we didn't need to be upside down to photograph the other planes doing a loop over Mt. Baker, but he didn't understand English.

Escuadrilla de Alta Acrobacia Halcones ("Hawks High Aerobatics Squad"), known simply as the 'Hawks' (Halcones), is an active group of nine officers of the Chilean Air Force who are trained specifically for aerobatics. One of the Halcones' signature moves is recreating the Chilean flag in the air using smoke. The team may be likened to the British Royal Air Force's Red Arrows for their affinity for complex, high-risk, aviation-based manoeuvers.

The Air Force, aware of the new and advancing aeronautic technology, decided to replace the Pitts for a new plane: the Extra 300.

This German-produced monoplane-wing media is powered by a Textron Lycoming engine of 300 hp. 2700 rpm 6-cylinder and 3-propeller wood blades covered with carbon fiber. The two-seater plane is built from 60% composite materials and 40% metal, and features a load factor and G + 10 - 10 G, roll rate of 360 ° per second, maximum weight 950 kg. The plane was designed to make various aerobatic maneuvers, but can only sustain 4 minutes of inverted flight.