Inside/outside stove - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
I find it interesting that in a pop up camper, a quick connect is OK for a propane temporary use appliance, but it seems to be a no no in an enclosed camper. (our pop up has a quick connect inside for the inside/outside stove.) It ((the connection and inside//outside stove)) sits above the forced air furnace in our pop up trailer built in 2009 (a 2010 model year trailer)
Frankly ,knowing CSA b 149 gas code for residential homes, this doesn't surprise me, as not always is common sense or physics or any legit reason behind the codes.
I think I will ask for a flush mount stove, and just never use it, and keep the range hood, since its in the up front price for the trailer. This will help possible resale, as suggested by multiple members here.
As well, i shall move the outside propane connection, as using a rubber small diameter hose increases pressure drop, and the likelyhood I will trip on the damn thing. I will plumb it over to the middle or "rear side" of the trailer to be under the awning and not bothered by the door.

Thanks for the advice.
Now to budget this.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The relevant standard for RVs built in Canada is Z240 (which in turn refers to dozens, or maybe hundreds, of other standards); Escape is compliant with this standard. Although standards organizations such as CSA are usually funded largely by selling access to their standards, a couple of years ago CSA opened Z240 up for free public access. So I checked CSA Z240 RV Series-14.

In Z240.4.2-14, propane connections are allowed (in branch outlet plumbing), with some restrictions. While I don't see any specific reference to quick-connect fittings in the general connection rules, individual appliance shut-off valves are prohibited "unless certified as part of the appliance". Since the quick-connect is a shut-off valve (inserting the plug into the coupler opens the valve), and normally also has a manual shut-off valve, it initially seemed unlikely that a quick-connect for the stove would be allowed.

The good news is that there is a section specifically for "Moveable components", including specifically a "relocatable range", and within that installations for which "gas supply requires disconnection" such as to move between inside and outside. It has details for the hose and connector (probably the usual hose and Type 250 connector), and specifies that there needs to be a shut-off valve on the line which comes through the floor; that valve needs to be sealed from the interior, and accessible from either the interior or the exterior. Not a problem!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I look at a connection inside to a quick connect to be the same as to an appliance. Beyond that is no different than the various fittings and valves built into an appliance. I assume the idea built into the various codes is to limit the number of connections that are inaccessible inside the RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
As well, i shall move the outside propane connection, as using a rubber small diameter hose increases pressure drop, and the likelyhood I will trip on the damn thing. I will plumb it over to the middle or "rear side" of the trailer to be under the awning and not bothered by the door.
Having used the LP QC since 2009 I can report that both our concerns are really not an issue. I regularly split two appliances, usually the BBQ and stove, off 15-20' of hose without lack of performance in either. I have used 30' of hose for a single appliance, usually the fire pit, without any lose of performance either.

With the issue of tripping, I have heard that argument many times from folks who have never used this system, and we have never once had an issue with that. The hose lays flat on the ground and is more than tough enough to step on. I will run it under our patio mat if possible, but more for tidiness than anything. Before using the LP QC, on our previous trailers since 1990, we have use a hose tapping off the high pressure propane at the tanks, and the hose was never a problem there either.

What I don't like about the location Escape uses is that it is susceptible to being damaged, the whole reason for me installing my own connection, and doing so in a hatch so it was right out of the way.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote