Inside/outside stove - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Inside/outside stove

Hello all.
Coming from a pop up, I find most pop up and some hybrid conventional garbage, caulking and hopes/dreams trailers use non fixed inside/outside stoves.
We personally love being able to take the range outside and hang from side of trailer and cook outdoors. Very seldom do we cook inside, unless its quite windy.
We use the counter area where the inside/outside stove goes in our pop up as a general counter area most times.
Has anyone ordered an escape 17/19 with just a propane quick connect in the kitchen and otherwise flat counter tops, with a stove than can go in/out? Or even just the quick connect with a customer supplied in/out stove?
Seems to me that a lot of condensation issues could be avoided (and not needing to run a battery draining range hood) if you cooked outside, which I am used to and totally ok with.
I get that a side hanger isnt really doable on the escape, and would get a stand alone folding counter or table to support the stove outside. I also plan to re-pipe/tube the propane quick connect on the outside to under the awning, and not beside the door not under the awning and in the way of the swinging door where ETI puts it
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Rangehood we deleted. Do most cooking outside. Kept the stove (2 burner), only used it twice so far. Had the stove turned 90 degrees for more counter space, and moved to the other side of the counter for better ventilation.
The quick connect is ideal! Ours is also located by the door, still under the awning. The propane hose, that comes with, long enough to put your barbecue or whatever you want to use, wherever you want.
ETI is quite flexible. Just give Reace or Tammy a call to find out what they can do for you!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Inside-outside stoves have been discussed in this forum before, but I don't recall anyone actually putting one in. A Google search of EscapeForum for "inside-outside stove" yields some examples.

I doubt that Escape would install the inside quick-connect, because it seems unlikely to comply with standards for travel trailers, but of course only Escape could say whether or not they would, and the CSA Z240 standard could be searched for the compliance answer.

If Escape won't put one in, I think the only solution would be to omit the stove (or at least omit installation), to avoid a stove-sized hole in the countertop. That would likely mean no propane line to the stove location, either, so that would need to be added (no problem, especially when adding the outside connection anyway).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Obviously you have options you can use for an outside stove. Deleting the stove hood and putting in an after market flush mount stove top inside like a couple folks here have done might work for you.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We find it MUCH more convenient to have a separate outdoor stove. When the weather gets ugly, and there are just the two of us, we cook inside, otherwise the other 90% of the the time we are outside. My wife has been cooking rice inside while I have had the stew on the outside stove, and other similar scenarios.

When I had a Coleman tent trailer, it had two stoves, a permanent one inside, and one that slide out, yet permanently mounted on the outside. The advantage there was the outside stove was a proper stove with burners meant for outside, while the ones that are meant to be used inside and out are usually just an indoor stove and don't work very well in windy conditions.

As well, it is really nice to set up the cooking away from the trailer if possible, Once I got used to having a separate stove that is more flexible, I would never go back to using the inside/outside type.

There is a good reason that this is not a popular option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Obviously you have options you can use for an outside stove. Deleting the stove hood and putting in an after market flush mount stove top inside like a couple folks here have done might work for you.
This is a great thread showing the flush Dickinson stovetop that some of us have done. Makes the counter area much more usable when the stove is not in use. ETI may do one for you if asked. There are also other options out there like the SMEV. The Dickinson is expensive, but is marine grade stainless steel, has electronic ignition and a fuel safety system that shuts the gas valve if a burner is left on without a flame.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/new-stove-install-9375.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Just a thought, but don't forget potential resale value and turning away prospective buyers in the future. Between cooking outside and having a microwave to heat up leftovers and cook simple things inside in a pinch, we really don't plan to use our two-burner cook top, but we left it on our build sheet because its absence might be a deal-breaker for some future buyer down the road. Just something to think about....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Cook inside with vents open and Maxx on Then again, I don't cook spaghetti 7 days a week. Will delete range hood next time. I have started to carry a butane portable stove so that I have options, unrelated to condensation.

My trailer has condensation issues if the driver imbibes copious quantities of liquid before hitting the hay. Normal cooking as above is not a big factor.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
I was going to delete the range hood but then I thought.. wait, if I am not cooking inside why do I care if the range hood is there

so far the inside stove has only been used for boiling water.. we have a camp chef ranger II stove for cooking, and the tub fits nicely in the rear storage area on our 19' .. I just need to get a smaller propane tank to lug around since we don't cook near the trailer either..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i get condensation issues when its cold outside and I'm sleeping in the trailer weather i cook or not. Unless i stop breathing i think that issue will continue. Hoping the new trailer with better windows will improve that issue but i usually just crack a window or use a dehumidifier if needed.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #11

I would never consider eliminating the range hood, unless you are certain you will never cook inside. Unless just boiling water, the steam from cooking contains lots of contaminants. I have had the benefit of removing lots of older range hoods in homes, and both them and the vent pipe are usually coated with a layer of grimy grease. This same stuff would be produced from any stove. I certainly would not want this air being drawn across the ceiling of the trailer, with this residue collecting on the surface of it or on the fan.

And this is from someone who MUCH prefers cooking outside, though realizes that this is not always preferable.

Just one fella's opinion though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

And this is from someone who MUCH prefers cooking outside, though realizes that this is not always preferable.

What are you? A .....?
Just put an extra layer on.
With a wind protector hanging on one side of the awning, it's "cool" to wait for dinner to be ready. And it taste even better
Old 09-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like many we cook outdoors when possible. Roughly 9 months camping with the trailer, no grime on our cabinet bottoms without the vent, Deb wouldn't stand for it. Might depend on what kind of stuff you cook, or how clean you keep things. For most I guess the hood is required. Only you know your habits.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
What are you? A .....?
Just put an extra layer on.
With a wind protector hanging on one side of the awning, it's "cool" to wait for dinner to be ready. And it taste even better
Hey! I am out there cooking unless a storm is blowing, something we hit almost every day last fall on the Oregon coast. While I love our trailer, I love being outside even more.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I would never consider eliminating the range hood, unless you are certain you will never cook inside. Unless just boiling water, the steam from cooking contains lots of contaminants. I have had the benefit of removing lots of older range hoods in homes, and both them and the vent pipe are usually coated with a layer of grimy grease. This same stuff would be produced from any stove. I certainly would not want this air being drawn across the ceiling of the trailer, with this residue collecting on the surface of it or on the fan.

I am sure that many people have taken your advice to keep the range hood. It is one of those standard features that most people will need.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Hey! I am out there cooking unless a storm is blowing, something we hit almost every day last fall on the Oregon coast. While I love our trailer, I love being outside even more.
I knew it!!! My type of guy!!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I swapped the sink and stove location, got a much smaller window over the sink, eliminated the range hood and have two Maxx Fans and no A/C. I use the stove for soup, boiling water for coffee and have a Maxx Fan on whenever the stove is on. So far no sign of anything on the ceiling from cooking but I often look and if I see anything will quickly clean it off with Dawn and water. I don't miss the range hood. I have an old propane stove from our tent camping days but haven't used it since getting the trailer. I will never fry anything in the trailer.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I cook inside and outside and I definitely need the range hood.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I cook inside and outside and I definitely need the range hood.
We also cook inside and out. What we needed was a range hood that really works, and is quiet - so we did the SAM1 conversion and are quite pleased with the result.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

I eliminated the range hood and don't miss it. I don't cook anything that splatters. My thought is if cooking it coats a range hood, what is that same food doing to your arteries? When cooking on the stove, I will cover the food and cook on low heat. I always cook with the fan on to remove moisture and the propane gas we are cooking with.