Insulation behind fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Insulation behind fridge

Can anybody tell me why there is insulation on the outside wall behind the fridge? Since there is a huge hole below and above it to the outside...what is it’s purpose? The area behind the fridge (without it running) should be the same temperature as the outside. The air flow from the huge holes should take care of any moisture.
However I am interested in seeing any photos of the insulation down the sides and along the bottom between the outside wall and the fridge. Also how the wall above the fridge is insulated...that would be the wall behind the cabinet that sometimes holds a microwave in a 19. To me these are critical areas that need to be well sealed and insulated.
If this has been talked about before, please attach the link.
Thanks

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check out the build threads...lots of insulated pictures. I was thinking about this last night, wondering if there is any insulation along the side wall exposed to the outside in the lower refer airspace. It was darn cold inside the 19 and cold air was getting in. I can see the advantage of 12v refers with no vent holes what so ever....
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #3

I have checked out the build threads only to find the silver sheet stuck to the wall with a bit of a flap on each side as if it might get stuck to the wall between the shell and fridge.
I think someone would have had to remove the roof vent and look down to see if the back of the cabinet above the fridge was insulated.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Can anybody tell me why there is insulation on the outside wall behind the fridge?
My guess, keeping the area cooler in the sun.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Can anybody tell me why there is insulation on the outside wall behind the fridge? Since there is a huge hole below and above it to the outside...what is it’s purpose? The area behind the fridge (without it running) should be the same temperature as the outside. The air flow from the huge holes should take care of any moisture.
However I am interested in seeing any photos of the insulation down the sides and along the bottom between the outside wall and the fridge. Also how the wall above the fridge is insulated...that would be the wall behind the cabinet that sometimes holds a microwave in a 19. To me these are critical areas that need to be well sealed and insulated.
If this has been talked about before, please attach the link.
Thanks
The efficiency of the cooling process for the absorption refrigerator depends on the chimney effect moving air over the various condensers in the plumbing in the back of the refrigerator. If the fiberglass shell of the trailer is overheated by the sun, the air movement is reduced. Adding insulation, baffles, etc, particularly with side vented refrigerators can make the difference between one that works at 90°F, and one that doesn't. Dometic has a couple of documents that specify the clearances and baffles required for each model of refrigerator to work properly. While it doesn't seem logical, closing down the air space (which the added insulation may do) behind the refrigerator can produce a bit improvement in its operation.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

Sure that make sense...thanks.
Now if I can see some pictures to confirm that the chamber is sealed and insulated from the interior.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Sure that make sense...thanks.
Now if I can see some pictures to confirm that the chamber is sealed and insulated from the interior.

This photo might help . looks like they insulate around the fridge and reflective on wall behind fridge . i believe the reflective is more to prevent condensation I don't think they do anything more. someone correct me if i wrong.
Attached Images

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
larger photo
Attached Thumbnails
08F9FF42-1FCF-45FA-B539-81C4A8516E1B.jpeg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe the op is looking for pictures of the hole the fridge goes in as opposed to the actual fridge.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
larger photo
Thanks! That looks like some type of fiberglass insulation on the fridge cavity walls. I wonder what R factor that stuff is?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

Thanks...I understand that there is insulation around the side of the fridge.
I would like to see or if anyone has checked out the seal between the back edge of the fridge and the trailer wall.
So if you were to open the fridge access hatch and look in to the left, right or down, you should see a little wall with insulation on it that connects the fridge to the trailer.
If you were to stick a camera up the hatch and take a picture you should see a sheet of insulation from the top rear edge of the fridge up to the roof vent.
Just curious to know if the insulation envelope is continuous in this location.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Eggscape:

We have an older '19 built in 2011. They have likely changed things since, but I found no insulation in the 'fridge compartment when I pulled out 'fridge. I put insulation on the sides and top to further insulate the 'fridge.

I think Jon is right about the insulation on the outside wall. With a large gap between the 'fridge and the wall, the convective flow will go up this gap. With the wall built out to the 'fridge the flow goes over the cooling fins rather than through the, now nonexistent, gap. It also help with solar heating, but I believe redirecting the flow is the primary purpose.

This thread describes the modifications I made to our 'fridge. The first pictures shows the lack of insulation, but a lot has changed since 2011.

Hope this helps.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree, Jon explained the principle. To clarify, in the photo the light colored vinyl on the right is the area behind the microwave. The rear of the fridge, when installed, is open to this cavity. There isn't any insulation on that side.

The original design didn't have any insulation on the exterior wall. Only a thin plywood baffle that reduced the size of the area to create a better draft. Don't know if you've ever been on the shady side of single layer f.g. with the sun beating on it. Hot, very hot. As Jon pointed out that starts to work against effective cooling.

Many of us have added extra insulation on the wall side to improve cooling. I'm not sure if ETI now insulates the wall side.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0289_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, Jon explained the principle. To clarify, in the photo the light colored vinyl on the right is the area behind the microwave. The rear of the fridge, when installed, is open to this cavity. There isn't any insulation on that side.

The original design didn't have any insulation on the exterior wall. Only a thin plywood baffle that reduced the size of the area to create a better draft. Don't know if you've ever been on the shady side of single layer f.g. with the sun beating on it. Hot, very hot. As Jon pointed out that starts to work against effective cooling.

Many of us have added extra insulation on the wall side to improve cooling. I'm not sure if ETI now insulates the wall side.

Ron
Darn Ron thinking back I wish I had added more back there in the chimney .I did some reflex back there , and refrigerator has been much , much better after cabinet insulation, but I wish I had done more . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I've posted this before, here is a link to a Dometic venting PDF manual at the Bryant website for some of their refrigerator installations.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #16

Yah, I've been pretty happy with my fridge mods. A layer of reflectix against the f. g. skin and foam tapering from about 3" to 1 1/2" between the baffle and the skin.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0284_resize.JPG   P4140027_resize.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Yah, I've been pretty happy with my fridge mods. A layer of reflectix against the f. g. skin and foam tapering from about 3" to 1 1/2" between the baffle and the skin.

Ron
I did do the Reflectix but wish I did the foam too seeing yours . I think my thinking at the time was the foam maybe melting being close to the back flame . I thought you made a metal chimney insert back there ? Pat
Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #18

I did, the aluminum ducted replacement baffle covers the foam.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4150028_resize.JPG  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #19

Quote:
I did, the aluminum ducted replacement baffle covers the foam.

Ron
Very nice Ron ! I thought so . Pat
Old 01-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
But, as Ron's picture indicates, no insulation around the exterior wall where the vent is and probably nothing against the side walls where the corners are foam sealed. Underneath that plastic tray is direct access to inside the trailer also. That cavity is a hole letting in cold air inside the trailer and should be sealed off from the interior better, IMHO.