Insulation/cold weather - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 21NE 2022
Insulation/cold weather

Our 21NE is to be completed in a year but we have the opportunity for a delivery date this October. My question is how low can the temperature get and folks still find their Escapes comfortable to use? I would like to get it early but I don't want to get it and then store it all winter only to take it out around the time of my original completion date.
GTR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We often use ours down - 5°C with no troubles. We have comfortably stayed in colder temps but with the trailer winterized.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Temps down to freezing are not bad, and comfortable if you want to run the furnace or heaters. Below freezing you get into winterizing or worrying about the need to winterize and it isn’t as relaxing.

I think the main question is what temps do you like for outdoor activities? You probably don’t want to be cooped up in a small camper for most of the day. If you enjoy being out and active then camping down to the freeze point is ok and the trailer can accommodate that.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have been in our 21 since January in Texas. Colder than usual in the hill country this year-many nights in the 20 degree range. We fill our fresh water tank, open cabinets, and keep the Maxx fan open and on low to help with condensation. We also use reflectix around the bed and move dinette cushions out slightly for air circulation at night. Furnace set to 65. We have had fun in spite of the colder nights and chilly days-but we were in a park with full hookups so the electric was nice-we could supplement with a quartz heater during the day and save our propane. Days now in 80s and of course that is awesome. We never planned to use our camper below freezing but Mother Nature had other plans!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Since the OP lives in Tennessee I'd be surprised if you couldn't easily get a couple of months usage before having to worry too much.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Since the OP lives in Tennessee I'd be surprised if you couldn't easily get a couple of months usage before having to worry too much.
This is true. Another thing to consider is that what is referred to as cold in one area is different than others.

For us at least 25% of the weekend trips see evening temperatures drop to near or a bit below freezing. I have friends in California that are cold when temperatures drop before 20°C (68°US).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
Our 21NE is to be completed in a year but we have the opportunity for a delivery date this October. My question is how low can the temperature get and folks still find their Escapes comfortable to use? I would like to get it early but I don't want to get it and then store it all winter only to take it out around the time of my original completion date.
Here's another insulation option that I've good things about AirSkirts
djronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1 View Post
Here's another insulation option that I've good things about AirSkirts
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't live with the look of that. I know, I'm weird. [emoji6]
Old 04-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
We have been in our 21 since January in Texas. Colder than usual in the hill country this year-many nights in the 20 degree range. We fill our fresh water tank, open cabinets, and keep the Maxx fan open and on low to help with condensation. We also use reflectix around the bed and move dinette cushions out slightly for air circulation at night. Furnace set to 65. We have had fun in spite of the colder nights and chilly days-but we were in a park with full hookups so the electric was nice-we could supplement with a quartz heater during the day and save our propane. Days now in 80s and of course that is awesome. We never planned to use our camper below freezing but Mother Nature had other plans!
Great to hear you’re enjoying your camper, even in cool weather conditions. Hope to visit with you again some time. Don’t forget us up here in the north country.
Iowa Dave