Insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Insurance

What is the average cost for insurance per year on a 17-19' Escape? I have a good driving record etc...

Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We pay approximately $360.00 Canadian annually for our 2015 Escape 19. This covers loss or damage to the trailer and contents. Liability is covered by our tow vehicle's policy.
etuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

That is quite reasonable. Probably more in US.
Thanks for response.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have a 19 on order and I got a quote from Progressive yesterday for $438 per year. I've used them before on a motorhome. This was after I requested that the quote include full replacement cost. Quote included $500 deductable. They also throw in $1k in contents coverage and up to $500 per roadside assistance instance. Not saying this is THE best deal but thought I'd share their estimate. Make sure you explicitly tell them about Escape in BC as they initially got confused with another brand of trailer.

Still waiting on reply for State Farm.

All numbers in USD.

John.
Ironhorsenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Thank you! This at least gives me a ball park number.
Dwain
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Thank you! This at least gives me a ball park number.
Dwain
Hi: Dwainkitchens... No matter the premium insurance is provided by Liability Company's that will evade all the liability they possibly can!!! Just when you think your covered... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We pay the same, for the same policy on our 19 from Progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
I have a 19 on order and I got a quote from Progressive yesterday for $438 per year. I've used them before on a motorhome. This was after I requested that the quote include full replacement cost. Quote included $500 deductable. They also throw in $1k in contents coverage and up to $500 per roadside assistance instance. Not saying this is THE best deal but thought I'd share their estimate. Make sure you explicitly tell them about Escape in BC as they initially got confused with another brand of trailer.

Still waiting on reply for State Farm.

All numbers in USD.

John.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
About a month ago I got a quote from Good Sam and they wanted $1500 for what I am paying $360 for. That's saving money? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
About a month ago I got a quote from Good Sam and they wanted $1500 for what I am paying $360 for. That's saving money? Loren
Probably some of that new math I keep hearing about
Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Heard back from my State Farm agent. They do not offer a full replacement on total loss policy for an RV. It's always actual cash value at the time of loss. Basically they look at what the same brand comparable trailers with the same options are selling for and that is the settlement.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
That's interesting. I just paid $444 to Good Sam for renewal of my full replacement cost policy for my 5.0TA.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Heard back from my State Farm agent. They do not offer a full replacement on total loss policy for an RV. It's always actual cash value at the time of loss. Basically they look at what the same brand comparable trailers with the same options are selling for and that is the settlement.
Well recently the used 19's with comparable equipment to ours are bringing more than we paid new, so I guess that policy would work for us.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have Good Sam/Progressive but we pay a bit more than that.

$580 a year includes full replacement cost coverage for both comprehensive and collision, a $250 deductible (disappearing) 3K for personal effects, 100k for vacation liability, 1k Fire Dept service coverage, $750 emergency expense. There are a few other coverages thrown in there as well that we probably don't need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #14

Thanks for responses!
Dwain
Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
I am shopping for insurance as well, looked at Progressive and Good Sam (National General). the quotes were close but after asking for particulars about what Progressive calls "Total Replacement Cost/Purchase Price" coverage, this is response I received.

For total loss replacement would apply for the first year. For the next two years we would use the value you indicated, and after that we would go by the actual cash value of the camper

Please be careful when comparing quotes and read the fine print to see exactly what the coverage entails as you may not be getting the insurance coverage you think.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Not so Good Sam

I just got off the phone with the Good Sam Insurance Agency where I spoke to a representative who said his name was Sam Olsen. I explained, "I am buying an Escape Trailer, made in British Columbia, not an Escape model of a trailer made in the US." Sam tried to tell me that 5.0TA was a configuration number not a model number. When he finally located Escape Trailers he said he needed to talk to his underwriter.

Sam came back with the claim that neither Good Sam nor any of the carriers they represent could cover trailers made in Canada. I told him that surprised me because I had previously gotten quotes on my Bigfoot, also manufactured in Canada. He said he was sorry, but he could not help me.

I asked to speak with his supervisor. Sam said he had gotten his information from his supervisor. I replied that I still wanted to speak with his supervisor. Sam put me on hold and eventually came back with the announcement, “Although Good Sam cannot insure this trailer, I can write a policy through Progressive, who will insure it.”

After asking for more personal information than I was comfortable giving him (by now I had a serious trust issues with Sam) he finally quoted me $742 per year with a $1,000 deductible. Sam made no effort to explain the details of the coverage; I had to drag out this out of him with specific questions. I knew what to ask because I had attended a presentation by Good Sam Insurance while at an RV Education Seminar. They had a handout with a lot of good information.

It was a policy with good coverage:
  • Replacement Value (buy me a new trailer with the same features) for the first five years, and pay me the original purchase price thereafter
  • $750 emergency coverage for food and lodging for covered events while on the road
  • $100,000 vacation liability
  • $3,000 for personal effects
  • Deductable diminishes by 25% per year for each year with no claims
  • No roadside assistance (I choose this)

At this point, I am very reluctant to do business with Good Sam. I like the Progressive Insurance coverage, but the price seems high. I’ll probably look for another broker who can write with Progressive or try to get it directly from them.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here's mine with Aviva ( but, you've have to move to BC ) for reference.
It pays to read the fine print too. You'll see I have overland water coverage, but on reading the document, I won't be covered unless I'm a certain distance from the river or lake ( which I can't remember ).
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance.jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

We have a replacement policy, purchased directly from Progressive, at a cost of 436 per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I just got off the phone with the Good Sam Insurance Agency where I spoke to a representative who said his name was Sam Olsen. I explained, "I am buying an Escape Trailer, made in British Columbia, not an Escape model of a trailer made in the US." Sam tried to tell me that 5.0TA was a configuration number not a model number. When he finally located Escape Trailers he said he needed to talk to his underwriter.

Sam came back with the claim that neither Good Sam nor any of the carriers they represent could cover trailers made in Canada. I told him that surprised me because I had previously gotten quotes on my Bigfoot, also manufactured in Canada. He said he was sorry, but he could not help me.

I asked to speak with his supervisor. Sam said he had gotten his information from his supervisor. I replied that I still wanted to speak with his supervisor. Sam put me on hold and eventually came back with the announcement, “Although Good Sam cannot insure this trailer, I can write a policy through Progressive, who will insure it.”

After asking for more personal information than I was comfortable giving him (by now I had a serious trust issues with Sam) he finally quoted me $742 per year with a $1,000 deductible. Sam made no effort to explain the details of the coverage; I had to drag out this out of him with specific questions. I knew what to ask because I had attended a presentation by Good Sam Insurance while at an RV Education Seminar. They had a handout with a lot of good information.

It was a policy with good coverage:
  • Replacement Value (buy me a new trailer with the same features) for the first five years, and pay me the original purchase price thereafter
  • $750 emergency coverage for food and lodging for covered events while on the road
  • $100,000 vacation liability
  • $3,000 for personal effects
  • Deductable diminishes by 25% per year for each year with no claims
  • No roadside assistance (I choose this)

At this point, I am very reluctant to do business with Good Sam. I like the Progressive Insurance coverage, but the price seems high. I’ll probably look for another broker who can write with Progressive or try to get it directly from them.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting that Good Sam has poor insurance offers but the best road side service available for campers, providing 2 tow trucks as standard.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I pay $236 a year with State Farm. The Escape 19' is listed with
the company. Coverage includes $250 deductible, road service, and breakdown coverage of 80% to $1500. It isn't a replacement policy but will pay current market value which is currently more than I paid for my 2016 19'.
pcrichter is offline   Reply With Quote