Insurance sticker shock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Insurance sticker shock

Finally made the move from Alabama back home to Colorado. Thought I'd better update my physical address for our 21's Progressive insurance policy purchased through Camping World with a 1-year policy renewed just this past February. MANY surprises. I was told that I couldn't just update our address on our current policy. I had to cancel the Alabama policy and have a whole new policy written for Colorado. Unexpected changes included: 1) Can no longer get full replacement (it sounded like they use some formula now, they didn't give me any details), 2) base annual premium jumped up from roughly $450 to $650, 3) I would need a separate rider to cover any damage to roof like hail (extra cost), and 4) I would need a separate rider for any damage to the underneath like rodent chewing (extra cost). Has this policy price inflation with coverage deflation been happening across the travel trailer world recently, or is some sales agent trying to take me for a ride?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
First thing I would do is find another agent. Why pay Camping World a premium for existing?
Old 07-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ours is also Progressive, but through Good Sam. We didn't have any rate increase, and we still have replacement cost coverage.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
$450 is outrageous, never mind the increase. In the high priced Nanny-State we pay $235 for "normal" AAA insurance. Full replacement cost is a marketing scheme IMO- and as you can see it comes with a big cost.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Full replacement cost is a marketing scheme IMO- and as you can see it comes with a big cost.

Please explain.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I don't think it is a marketing scheme. We had full replacement costs on our roof and got the entire thing replaced because of it, for just the deductible. That was the clause that made that happen.

We live in Colorado, have State Farm Insurance and do not pay anything near that! I will find out the exact cost and pass that along later this morning. Mind you we have clean driving records, no accidents and generally do not make claims and we have four cars insured with them. I think that matters.

One thing for sure out here, you will hit a hail storm sooner or later. Probably sooner.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Please explain.
Hi: gbaglo... In our case "Replacement cost" only lasted 2 years. After that "You're on your own"!!! Insurance Co's are in the business to make money... not friends... but "Don't leave home without it"!!! IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I just looked at our insurance for our 2020 5.0TA. The insurance is a rider on my truck insurance. Apparently due to it being a 5th wheel. I am calling for a clarification. That policy is $107 a month.

The rider for the 5.0TA is about $66 a year. Checked and rechecked. Gonna call my agent when he opens. That includes collision and comprehensive.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #9

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Finally made the move from Alabama back home to Colorado. Thought I'd better update my physical address for our 21's Progressive insurance policy purchased through Camping World with a 1-year policy renewed just this past February. MANY surprises. I was told that I couldn't just update our address on our current policy. I had to cancel the Alabama policy and have a whole new policy written for Colorado. Unexpected changes included: 1) Can no longer get full replacement (it sounded like they use some formula now, they didn't give me any details), 2) base annual premium jumped up from roughly $450 to $650, 3) I would need a separate rider to cover any damage to roof like hail (extra cost), and 4) I would need a separate rider for any damage to the underneath like rodent chewing (extra cost). Has this policy price inflation with coverage deflation been happening across the travel trailer world recently, or is some sales agent trying to take me for a ride?

I will start this by stating that I am not an insurance agent but I have dealt with a lot of insurance companies. All insurance companies are regulated by the state that they are doing business in. This is why you may find that your actual policy is written by a subsidiary of the company that bills you. The states regulate the minimum coverage available in that state and sometimes the maximum, you will see the disclaimer that not all coverage is available in all states.

My agent told me that full replacement coverage is not available in Illinois and I believe him, he's been my insurance agent for over 40 years with the exception of 2 years with AAA and then they raised my rates by 30 percent (without a claim or explanation). The real fact is that rates are usually set by payouts/losses incurred in the previous year and every state has different loss rates and different insurance rates for the same company and coverage (where available). Bottom line if you don't like the price get another companies quote.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

I still have full replacement on my 17B after 12 years with the same company.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Insurance costs in almost every area of need seem to have gone up a fair bit in the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Full replacement cost is a marketing scheme IMO- and as you can see it comes with a big cost.
I carry full replacement insurance at very little additional cost. In fact, when I first got in many years ago it was their standard. When I needed it, I got the full cost of replacing the same trailer at the current cost, and it paid for all our stuff lost as well as any work I did but only the amount of receipts supplied. They also supplied food and accommodation for a few days if needed.

They do now insist I arrange ahead of time any modification costs for work done. Not a bad idea really.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
All I can say is shop around. Each state regulates insurance companies, policies and to some extent premiums, so it is not unusual to have a change from one state to another. In all states that I am aware of, you don't need to have liability insurance on your trailer as the liability coverage extends from the tow vehicle.

Also some companies require you to have your vehicle insured with them as well, so you need to ask whether this is a standalone policy or not.

As for replacement cost, definitely get that endorsement option if possible.
What most people fail to see is that the standard policy is designed to reimburse you for what you had at the time of the loss, so if you had a 5 year old trailer, they owe you for a 5 year old trailer. the replacement cost endorsement removes that whole argument.

Don't be afraid to ask the agent for a copy of the policy to see what it actually covers as some policies only offer replacement coverage for 1-2 years and then it changes. In the case of our Nationwide Ins. policy, you get full replacement coverage for the trailer (at the time of the loss) for 2 years. After that you get your purchase price (what you paid). Our policy is $312 a year, including a $7 endorsement for the awning. Compare policies and purchase based on overall value, not necessarily the cheapest price. Finally consider your deductible. there is often savings to be realized if you increase your deductible from $500 to $1000.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
good sams will do full replacement cost for 5 years. rates very By a ton of personal things.I just got a quoit on my new 19 $247 year with $500 deduct on collision and $250 on comp . also includes 300,000 liability and 3,000 for camping gear.awning and all glass also covered. It pays to check around
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
also includes 300,000 liability

I suggest you increase your liability. You live in a very litigious country. It doesn't cost much. I carry $3 million on the trailer and $5 million on my vehicle.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I suggest you increase your liability. You live in a very litigious country. It doesn't cost much. I carry $3 million on the trailer and $5 million on my vehicle.

I might check into that, but this is just Vacation Liability. The auto policy would cover any liability while towing.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Finally made the move from Alabama back home to Colorado.
Congrats on the move Dale. Now you just have to change your location. Our daughter and son-in-law are on the move this week, from Fort Benning to Leavenworth which is great as it's the closest they could be to us when we can again cross the border. They might be there nearly four years until he retires.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our daughter and son-in-law are on the move this week, from Fort Benning to Leavenworth which is great as it's the closest they could be to us when we can again cross the border. They might be there nearly four years until he retires.
Great news for you and Beth! Looks like a great place to be stationed. I am hoping we get the border open again so you can get there.
We still have plans to attend the Niagara (subject to the border opening) and Mississippi Rallies, but will be not as enjoyable with out the social gatherings.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
We had replacement insurance on our used Little Snoozy, and when it was totaled, insurance gave us $26,000 toward our new 21 Escape
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
We had replacement insurance on our used Little Snoozy, and when it was totaled, insurance gave us $26,000 toward our new 21 Escape
What company were you insured with? Sorry to hear about your Snoozy but glad you came out pretty good.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
It was thru camping world, but it was not Progressive, which we have now. I will look it up and let you know .
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote