Inverter or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA on order!
Inverter or not?

Hi. We are absolutely new to RVing and getting close to placing our order. We are trying to decide if we need to get the inverter or not. We would love to have discussion on this. Thanks everyone!
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Theresa,
I respectfully suggest you do a search for inverters. They have been discussed ad nauseum in a multitude of previous threads. You will find all the pros and cons, although they really aren’t pros and cons; they are Mostly personal opinions for and against.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Read here as a beginner lesson to 12volts which your trailer will be The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 07-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We got it and have rarely used it. You get extra outlets but you can get those without the inverter.

I think it's better to get 12V adapters and or chargers for your electronic devices (computer etc.) and get 12V appliances where you can like your television (if you want one) than to be using an inverter for tinny loads. And then spend some of the money you saved on the inverter to get extra 12V and USB receptacles everywhere you might use them.

If you want to use larger load appliances like a coffee maker or hot pot you can buy a much less expensive inverter and just get it out when you need to use it.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Getting one or not is entirely up to the individual. We went 4 years without and didn't miss having one. I put one in after market just to use a toaster, hair drier, the the electric blanket when we started traveling for the winters. All frivolous items that no one really needs, but it adds to our enjoyment and I could add it myself. FWIW, it cost me about the same for DIY as it would have cost had I had ETI install one at time of purchase.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Yes get it! Do you charge computers? Power blocks? Juicers, blenders, unforeseen things etc...?

They are not putting in these add ons after the initial sale now. I am not giving mine back. Plus I got a small 200W inverter to take the load off the big inverter with small devices. Very little overhead. Get it! Use it when you need it, then turn it off.

Don't skimp here! Anywhere!!!

Did I mention it is never as cheap, or as good, as doing it when the trailer is built! Point of note: We use a Dyson V-10 vacuum cleaner. Absolutely the best at spot cleaning, it charges with 110v. Cordless! Perfect! Just sayin!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I was working on my build sheet, I considered all the things I could add later... like shiny wheels and all the things that I couldn't do, so I thought those should be done during the build. I got the inverter and transfer switch and the Exterior Propane Quick Connect. I actually used the inverter when I was dry camping for 7 days at the Boler 50th gathering. Works as it's supposed to. BUT, during the build I got the dual 6-volt batteries and had the solar added later. They all worked together for those 7 days. Now I know what to expect when I boondock. I'm happy with my decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
"Did I mention it is never as cheap, or as good, as doing it when the trailer is built!"

Someone is telling stories. One can install better systems then ETI installs, do a better job of it, for roughly the same $. You can also pay someone to do it with the same better results. That may cost a bit more of course.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #9

Point taken. I want it right from the beginning. Plenty of mods have gone wrong. My stove fell out Today!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Theresa,
I respectfully suggest you do a search for inverters. They have been discussed ad nauseum in a multitude of previous threads.
ad nauseum, good choice of words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
and I could add it myself. FWIW, it cost me about the same for DIY as it would have cost had I had ETI install one at time of purchase.
Yes, it's not a big disaster if one is desired at some later point. I've added several to boats and trailers. Strangely enough I haven't bothered putting one in the E21. What with mostly USB charging needs we just don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
: We use a Dyson V-10 vacuum cleaner. Absolutely the best at spot cleaning, it charges with 110v. Cordless! Perfect! Just sayin!
We use a Dyson V10 also but with the advent of the F150 having an onboard inverter any 110V recharging needs we have now are done underway.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #11

Your entire trailer is set up to operate off propane and 12v battery. Everything is self contained, options such as air conditioning and microwave and televisions create need for 120v hookups. Solar and USB adapters will also charge your computers with 12v.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #12

I mentioned this in another thread. Excuse me for repeating a little.
One night, just for fun, I turned on every light in the trailer and left them on all night. Every one.

I didn't look at the numbers in and out of the batteries, I just turned them on all night long and then watched how low they got and how long it took to recharge. Not very scientific but more real world use.

According to the four light gauge the battery level went down about a third. The whole trailer was recharged by 9 am. Did not run 120v, just 12v. We haven't tried running an instapot or any other high energy device yet. My biggest need is recharging amplifiers, guitars and computers. That is no problem with two panels.

So far the charging system has exceeded my expectations. This camper is a charging machine!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the full factory inverter and in two years have never used it once
I can do everything I want or need using 12 VDC & propane except for running my A/C and microwave
It’s convenient to make coffee in our electric coffee pot but it’s not a necessity
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #14

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
I added the 6v batteries, solar panel, and a multitude of 12v plugs with USB charging when our 21 was built in 2019. My thought at the time was if we needed 120v a/c power we would also need Air conditioning so I would run my Honda Eu3000is generator, so I did not get the inverter. After using the camper for 6 months I decided to add the Inverter. What I found out is we like to stop along the way and use the mircowave for lunch or just to power a computer or TV. I added the same GoPower pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter and transfer switch that Escape sells. Funny thing I called up to ETI to order the" all plug Inverter kit" which they said was not possible to install after the fact and that ETI would not install. I ordered the same equipment, switched out an breaker and rewired two circuits, easy as pie. Works as factory installed. Best of all I did save some money doing it myself. However if I was to order a new RV from Escape I would just check the order box.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #15

Steve brings up a good point, wants vs necessity. Some people want to use the inverter to make their coffee in the am. There is a propane stove in the Escape and most people carry camp stoves. Both of these can handle a stove top coffee maker. In addition there are campfire griddles and coffee makers. I carry all 3 types, electric for when hookups, stovetop and over the fire coffee pots. All make excellent coffee.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #16

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Inverter

We had ETI put in a 12-3 awg wire in microwave cabinet And had it pulled to the battery area then we could put in inverter if needed I put in a 2000 watt inverter with a plug in microwave cabinet and one under dinette area So far have only used a few times but is good for microwave ,hair dryer ,and tv .
If not interested in inverter at least have a 12 awg wire run from battery box to microwave cabinet .then you can always put it in later .We also had ETI put in live wire in back cabinet 12 volt for a back up camera best option so far Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #17

All inverters eventually fail

I have had several small ones just give out while charging phones.

Even a 1,500 watt inverter has a lifetime. In order to take as much load off of the big one and to be more efficient when I have small charging to do, I use this Bestek. It works very well. Very little overhead and you can keep it right by the entry. Works great in the car.

You won't run a microwave or a hair dryer with it, but it will charge up devices nice and fast.

it costs $40 on Amazon. Great reputation.

We use the microwave for heating soups and popping popcorn. For coffee we boil water, run it thru a #6 silicone Melita filter holder and into a thermos. Great coffee every time. Only use a little propane. Very clean and easy.
Attached Thumbnails
bestek-inverter.jpg  
Old 07-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Like others here have said, it depends on your needs.

We've had twelve previous campers with microwaves. Rarely, if ever, used them. A microwave changes the consistency of food. While we had our cabinet wired for a microwave, we have yet to use the outlet.

Terry doesn't need a hair dryer. She's looks beautiful without one.

Our Chromebooks last 10-14 hours on a charge and can charge USB. I was a computer tech, so long battery life and the ability to charge with USB was mandatory. Easy to find one.

Twenty years ago we started using the Melita Coffee System in our camper. We like it so much we also have one in our condo.

We don't watch TV, but get our depressing news on our laptops and watch movies on a portable, 12v, DVD player, using a Bose speaker for great sound. Last winter, for our 10 week Covid shortened winter trip south, we probably watched four movies. We've really never used our TV's in our previous campers; some were just in the way and removed. We camp and are not addicted to TV.

We charge our Black and Decker 20V Max Flex Handheld Vacuum when we leave. We have yet to have to recharge on a trip, but carry the charger anyway. We have a Dyson portable here in our condo and this Black and Decker blows (sucks?) away the Dyson. We now have purchased a second B & D so we don't have to forget it's either in the camper or the condo.

Finally, we have 400 watt outlets in our F-150, one in the dash for the front seat and the other in the back of the center console for the back seat. We charge both our e-bike batteries at the same time with no problems.

I understand that some need an inverter, but if we had one we'd be carrying more needless items, and we have a problem with needless items the way it is.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #19

I don't think many people know how good the Bose systems are. We use the Bose S1 Pro, which is expensive, overkill and perfect for me. Remarkable sound. Portable! I also have a Fishman Loudbox mini charge which is even better.

I usually camp by myself. Last time I played the Loudbox with a guitar, I had a small gathering take place in a six site campground. Neighbors complimented me and the sound was very low. One guy came up and fished right next to me while I was playing. No problem there.

There has to be a balance for everyone on what they want to bring. My wife insists on Chile lights hanging from the awning. I am trying to figure out a way to bring the Blackstone and a small grill. I am only going to do this once (buy a camper that is). At least that's what doctors keep telling me. So I want it as close to right as I can get this. And now bringing a rig back up for add ons may not be an option.