Iowa State Fair Camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Iowa State Fair Camping

We attended the Illinois State Fair this August and had a good time. So I started planning for next year and called about getting a site for 2023 at the Iowa State Fair. This must be one heck of a good time because they have 2,300 sites and the waiting list is something like 15 years! I wonder what goes on in the Iowa state fair campground that makes it so, so popular!

I want to thank Iowa Dave for his tire rotation advise! I'm sorry Dave I tried to response to you but was unable in the PM but still wanted to thank you!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 None
I'm Iowan and we are cRAzy about our STATE FAIR! :-) Sorry about the wait... I think 15 years will go by quick! :-) I can't comment on any other fair. When you have the best why go somewhere else. Ha ha!! Try staying at a park somewhere else in Iowa and drive in to see the fair. I would love to hear about your experience. Welcome to Iowa
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thanks George! So I guess you are one of the lucky 2,300 people that has a reserved site for the fair? Can you share what the experience is like? I can't imagine 2,300 sites! What is the "pasture" like? Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I would also advise making a list of nearby camp grounds and driving to the fair each day . The rolling pasture can make it incredibly difficult to level up your camper. Most of the long term folks in the campground exhibit or man booths at the fair.

I’d advise that you camp “off campus” and take the free shuttle up to the campsites. There you will see the greatest assemblage of large dimension lumber blocking up campers and decks you’ve probably ever seen. I’m talking cribbage in the 10x10 Inches four to six feet long category. Iowa didn’t use to be a prairie state. It was like the Adirondacks until they logged it for bracing lumber at the Fair.

But if you’re into full sized Guernsey cows sculpted out of butter and listening to crooning by a butter Las Vegas Elvis, then The Fair is udderly your Nirvana. Where else can you see a 13 year old kid sell 5 good looking broiler chickens for $ 6,000?

Camp 30 miles out, level up with a single piece of 2X6 and drive in to get your deep fat fried Twinkie. I will say I used to get pretty frisky with my wife in the darkness of the Old Mill boat ride and it’s probably a good thing the ride didn’t last longer. So there is that. Glad I could help!
Iowa Dave
Old 10-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 None
I have always just drove to the fair. I have not entered the crazy world of RV camping at the Iowa State Fair. I have walked through the RV site next to the fair. It in itself is a small city of nice people showing off what they can do to make the campground their home away from home. Iowa Dave sums up the fair nicely. I would add that winning top prize for your animal at the Iowa State Fair can mean big money. The reproduction rights of a large farm animal can set you up for life.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote