Irma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
Irma

It seems we are on an adventure. Not sure how it will play out but I suspect we will need the trailer after the evacuation. The present path puts the eye over our house with a high storm surge. And we seem to have evacuated to a spot where the storm may still be category one. So we may be moving again as soon as we are sure. If you can believe the weather man.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good luck Ken and Karen, take the Escape up to South Carolina, you maybe better there.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It's nice to have a ready evac shelter when needed. Stay safe, prayers out to all as Irma makes its way ashore.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
So sorry to hear this.
Years ago we lost nearly everything we owned in an apartment fire. Thankfully we weren't home and no one else was hurt. Don't get me wrong it still sucked.
You'll be dealing with much more than we had to, but please be safe and remember that people mater, the rest is just stuff.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Unless the track continues bending more to the West, it looks like Irma will be on our front doorstep in Notasulga, Alabama around 8:00 p.m. Monday evening. Currently projected to still be Cat 1 as it rolls over us. I wish some of the expected rain would fall instead on those fires out West. Thankfully we have a storm shelter large enough for the two of us, our pets and emergency supplies. There have been many prior debates regarding how well a fiberglass trailer might float. Perhaps we'll see how well they fly! Be safe, all....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #6

They did a poor job on this storm as far as predicting the potential path. They were so convinced it would travel up the east coast instead of the west. We have friends who brought their sailboat over to the west coast as did a number of other boat owners. They can't go back over now. Some are moving out into the gulf while others went to shelters.
So far we hold the record for the smallest rv where we are at. It is amazing how many huge class A's came up from Naples and Key West
;
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

We prepared for the storm and decided to leave as NOAA had four possible paths Irma could take. But the local weather idiots and the weather channel were focused exclusively on the east coast path. So a lot of people were surprised. That prediction depended on it hooking north which of course it never did do.
But if I had been positive it was coming our way there was a lot more we could have done at the house. I'm glad we took all important papers with us and I took all my medications and insulin.
Karen is worried about her house, my Mom is worried the power at her place will be off and her freezer will stink but otherwise we are safe and watching what to do next.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Wishing you good luck. Storm paths change so often. We were due to camp on the coast of SC. Reservation was cancelled due to hurricane forecast so we hit the Smoky Mountains on Friday. They evacuated the park yesterday so we're back home.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

I'm hoping jennykatz and anyone else in a low area are safe. There is a predicted possible 15 foot storm surge for their area.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here in Miami we are getting pounded; wind gusts to 85 mph. Best of luck to west coast Florida Escape owners!
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

I'm now part of the big rigs. It's nice having all the space inside compared to the little trailers like this one .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170910_152451.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I was at Alf and Mary Anne's house yesterday morning, all set to go to the Niagara Wine Escape, but after seeing yesterday's 5:00 am update decided that it would be better to get closer to Florida should I need to "sift through the rubble." The TA is now set up at my nephew's house in Oak Ridge, TN, where we are in a wait and see mode. Should I get "good news" from my neighbor after the storm passes, I will probably spend a week or two In the Smokies. If not, I will head home to clean up the mess. Current track puts our place right in the cross hairs. Sorry Fred and Dora, we were looking forward to seeing you again. And we won't be at LBL because of our daughter's expected October delivery of the 4th and probable last grandchild.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm watching the news and the hurricane is horrific! For those heading south, this just came up on my news feed from a Casita owner that evacated from Florida:

"Just left Elkmont campground in the smokies where we were evacuated because of Irma. Yep, Tennessee expecting high winds and rain. The National Park evacuated ALL campgrounds. If anyone has reservations in the Smokey mountains please call to check on them."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Here in Miami we are getting pounded; wind gusts to 85 mph. Best of luck to west coast Florida Escape owners!

Prayers for your safety, Maliki!

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
While most people were heading away from the hurricane I spent three days last week driving from home to Columbus GA to our daughter and son-in-law's place at Fort Benning. I brought the trailer since they are still in temporary housing. It's parked in the lovely base campground (full of FL evacuees) but tonight I hooked the truck back on, ensured all secured and are hunkering down at their house. I don't know how many Escapes have made it through a hurricane, or even tropical storm but will post again after the storm passes and we go check it out. Right now we're expecting winds anywhere from 45 to 65mph maybe more and tons of rain. My first hurricane since Hazel in 1954 when a tree came down beside our house just missing our bedroom and wouldn't you know it Beth and I are sleeping here in a room which has a dead tree no more than 30 feet from us. We're taking bets on which way it will fall.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I Am in Oak Ridge, TN, about 40 miles west of the Smoky Mountains. Winds here are projected to be 20 to 30 MPH tomorrow, with lots of rain. Irma's eye passed directly over my house around 2:30 am as a strong category 1. A friend of mine who had to evacuate from further south tells me the power is out, but I only had 1 tree come down, but did not hit anything. Lots of twigs and debris in the yard, but no damage to the house. I guess I am very fortunate. Once I get word that power has been restored, I will head home and start cleaning up.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There are massive power outages, alot of tree damage by all accounts, and some flooding, but all in all, I'd say Irma wasn't half as bad as was predicted. Could have been MUCH worse. Good news for Florida.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I would think that if you hitched a camper to a tow vehicle and faced it into the prevailing wind, all should be okay. It seems it would be much like driving 60 mph down the highway during a heavy rain - shouldn't it? Seems like most travel trailers would (or should) be built to handle that kind of wind head on.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I would think that if you hitched a camper to a tow vehicle and faced it into the prevailing wind, all should be okay. It seems it would be much like driving 60 mph down the highway during a heavy rain - shouldn't it? Seems like most travel trailers would (or should) be built to handle that kind of wind head on.
The problem is the wind will not likely be in one direction only if the system is still circulating like a hurricane as it hits us. I just left the trailer hooked to the truck in its spot in the campsite, hoping the extra weight of the truck would negate any possibility of a side wind causing trailer to tip. Also have fresh tank filled and left grey and black tanks partly full. And the good news Irma is now a tropical storm and is not expected to hit us here (Columbus GA) as hard as originally forecast. It's raining steadily now and getting windier but the main part of storm still nearly 200 miles away.

on edit: Dale I didn't realize how close to your town I was coming down 280 on Friday, in fact the campground where our Escape is is across the river in AL still part of Fort Benning

Adrian
Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I Am in Oak Ridge, TN, about 40 miles west of the Smoky Mountains. Winds here are projected to be 20 to 30 MPH tomorrow, with lots of rain. Irma's eye passed directly over my house around 2:30 am as a strong category 1. A friend of mine who had to evacuate from further south tells me the power is out, but I only had 1 tree come down, but did not hit anything. Lots of twigs and debris in the yard, but no damage to the house. I guess I am very fortunate. Once I get word that power has been restored, I will head home and start cleaning up.
Good to hear Carl that little damage at home. Too bad you had to miss Niagara though.

Adrian