Is 15000 BTU A/C too big in a 21 foot escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mt Juliet, Tennessee
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 65
Is 15000 BTU A/C too big in a 21 foot escape?

We have a 21NE being built and ready to go in late Sept. I got an email from ETI yesterday stating that there is a shortage in the air conditioner they normally use which is 11k btu but they can install a 15k btu. We love to live cold and would use the AC all the time and I am afraid the 15k is just too big for the space and would not eliminate the humidity in the trailer. Am I thinking correctly or am i worrying too much?
__________________

Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 2,957
I can’t answer your question but I also love to live cold .
At night when I am sleeping, I like room temps in the 50 to 60 deg range and in really hot weather the 11,000 BTU A/C just doesn’t do it for me .
I believe a lot depends on how you define hot & cold , for me anything above 70 deg F is HOT and anything below 20 below is cold .
That’s why I love the Fall season , ( Late September to mid November) days in the mid 50’s , nights in the low 40’s .
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
We have a 21NE being built and ready to go in late Sept. I got an email from ETI yesterday stating that there is a shortage in the air conditioner they normally use which is 11k btu but they can install a 15k btu. We love to live cold and would use the AC all the time and I am afraid the 15k is just too big for the space and would not eliminate the humidity in the trailer. Am I thinking correctly or am i worrying too much?
I was showing my trailer to some friends a couple of days ago. I was 98 deg outside and with three people in the trailer, the A/C was slow cycling and keeping the trailer at 74 deg. Humidity was a comfortable %40 with the outside humidity at %80. I have the 11,000 btu A/C.

The 15,000 would be WAY overkill. A 15,000 would kick on, run for less than a minute, and then shut off waiting for the temps to go back up - humidity control would be terrible as it wouldn't run often and long enough to get the moisture out of the air.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mt Juliet, Tennessee
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I can’t answer your question but I also love to live cold .
At night when I am sleeping, I like room temps in the 50 to 60 deg range and in hot weather the 11,000 BTU A/C just doesn’t do it for me .
I believe a lot depends on how you define hot & cold , for me anything above 70 deg F is HOT and anything below 20 below is cold .
That’s why I love the Fall season , ( Late September to mid November) days in the mid 50’s , nights in the low 40’s .
We both agree on what is considered HOT and COLD. Do you believe in your experience with Escapes that the 15k btu unit will cycle on long enough to pull the moisture out? The moisture is what I am really concerned about.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mt Juliet, Tennessee
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I was showing my trailer to some friends a couple of days ago. I was 98 deg outside and with three people in the trailer, the A/C was slow cycling and keeping the trailer at 74 deg. Humidity was a comfortable %40 with the outside humidity at %80. I have the 11,000 btu A/C.

The 15,000 would be WAY overkill. A 15,000 would kick on, run for less than a minute, and then shut off waiting for the temps to go back up - humidity control would be terrible as it wouldn't run often and long enough to get the moisture out of the air.
That is my main concern, not the cooling down but the humidity control. On youtube there is a fitrv guy who has this unit in a van and he seems to be very on top of things and has never stated he is having a moisture problem. He even replaced the unit that ETI normally has with the unit that ETI is offering as a replacement. I am very confused.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
That is my main concern, not the cooling down but the humidity control. On youtube there is a fitrv guy who has this unit in a van and he seems to be very on top of things and has never stated he is having a moisture problem. He even replaced the unit that ETI normally has with the unit that ETI is offering as a replacement. I am very confused.
The A/C size depends on how much heat gain /loss is going on. A black van with minimal insulation would need a large A/C to cool it.

An Escape 21 with a white exterior and well insulated would cool with a smaller A/C than the aforementioned van.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
We both agree on what is considered HOT and COLD. Do you believe in your experience with Escapes that the 15k btu unit will cycle on long enough to pull the moisture out? The moisture is what I am really concerned about.
Honestly No ; I think 15,000 BTUís is a little to big to run long enough to pull down the humidity
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,360
15,000 BTU is too large. Iíve installed 9,000 BTU mini-splits wth variable speed compressors in a 19 and a 21 and they work perfectly. With a unit too large you will cool too quickly and not run long enough to dehumidify. You risk being cold and clammy in humid environments. It will also have a larger power draw which is an issue if you want to run on a small (2KW) generator. I would insist on the 11,000 BTU.
__________________
ďOne way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.Ē― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 1,045
Our 13.500 BTU Coleman, installed in our E'21 a couple of years after the purchase, blows 60 degree air on us when it is 90+ outside. We have to wear sweaters...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Our 13.500 BTU Coleman, installed in our E'21 a couple of years after the purchase, blows 60 degree air on us when it is 90+ outside. We have to wear sweaters...
Do you happen to know the model # for your Coleman A/C
It sounds like a perfect replacement
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 AM   #11
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 6,955
The 15k's I've seen on trailers are pretty big, physically. The Dometic Brisk Air is 15" tall vs 11" for the Penguin 11k. Did they say if they were also out of the 13.5k upgrade Dometics?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Upfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Yarnell, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 336
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Our 13.500 BTU Coleman, installed in our E'21 a couple of years after the purchase, blows 60 degree air on us when it is 90+ outside. We have to wear sweaters...
Our standard 11,000 btu dometic does the same in our Escape 19 when we set the thermostat to 60įF. We set the thermostat to 70įF because we are not the sturdy , hearty people as Steve Dunham. But the A.C. is just as happy to run at 60įF when it is 90 or higher outside. It all depends on what we set the thermostat at.
__________________

__________________
Myrl and Gary
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×