Is 15000 BTU A/C too big in a 21 foot escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Is 15000 BTU A/C too big in a 21 foot escape?

We have a 21NE being built and ready to go in late Sept. I got an email from ETI yesterday stating that there is a shortage in the air conditioner they normally use which is 11k btu but they can install a 15k btu. We love to live cold and would use the AC all the time and I am afraid the 15k is just too big for the space and would not eliminate the humidity in the trailer. Am I thinking correctly or am i worrying too much?
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I can’t answer your question but I also love to live cold .
At night when I am sleeping, I like room temps in the 50 to 60 deg range and in really hot weather the 11,000 BTU A/C just doesn’t do it for me .
I believe a lot depends on how you define hot & cold , for me anything above 70 deg F is HOT and anything below 20 below is cold .
That’s why I love the Fall season , ( Late September to mid November) days in the mid 50’s , nights in the low 40’s .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
We have a 21NE being built and ready to go in late Sept. I got an email from ETI yesterday stating that there is a shortage in the air conditioner they normally use which is 11k btu but they can install a 15k btu. We love to live cold and would use the AC all the time and I am afraid the 15k is just too big for the space and would not eliminate the humidity in the trailer. Am I thinking correctly or am i worrying too much?
I was showing my trailer to some friends a couple of days ago. I was 98 deg outside and with three people in the trailer, the A/C was slow cycling and keeping the trailer at 74 deg. Humidity was a comfortable %40 with the outside humidity at %80. I have the 11,000 btu A/C.

The 15,000 would be WAY overkill. A 15,000 would kick on, run for less than a minute, and then shut off waiting for the temps to go back up - humidity control would be terrible as it wouldn't run often and long enough to get the moisture out of the air.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I can’t answer your question but I also love to live cold .
At night when I am sleeping, I like room temps in the 50 to 60 deg range and in hot weather the 11,000 BTU A/C just doesn’t do it for me .
I believe a lot depends on how you define hot & cold , for me anything above 70 deg F is HOT and anything below 20 below is cold .
That’s why I love the Fall season , ( Late September to mid November) days in the mid 50’s , nights in the low 40’s .
We both agree on what is considered HOT and COLD. Do you believe in your experience with Escapes that the 15k btu unit will cycle on long enough to pull the moisture out? The moisture is what I am really concerned about.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I was showing my trailer to some friends a couple of days ago. I was 98 deg outside and with three people in the trailer, the A/C was slow cycling and keeping the trailer at 74 deg. Humidity was a comfortable %40 with the outside humidity at %80. I have the 11,000 btu A/C.

The 15,000 would be WAY overkill. A 15,000 would kick on, run for less than a minute, and then shut off waiting for the temps to go back up - humidity control would be terrible as it wouldn't run often and long enough to get the moisture out of the air.
That is my main concern, not the cooling down but the humidity control. On youtube there is a fitrv guy who has this unit in a van and he seems to be very on top of things and has never stated he is having a moisture problem. He even replaced the unit that ETI normally has with the unit that ETI is offering as a replacement. I am very confused.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
That is my main concern, not the cooling down but the humidity control. On youtube there is a fitrv guy who has this unit in a van and he seems to be very on top of things and has never stated he is having a moisture problem. He even replaced the unit that ETI normally has with the unit that ETI is offering as a replacement. I am very confused.
The A/C size depends on how much heat gain /loss is going on. A black van with minimal insulation would need a large A/C to cool it.

An Escape 21 with a white exterior and well insulated would cool with a smaller A/C than the aforementioned van.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
We both agree on what is considered HOT and COLD. Do you believe in your experience with Escapes that the 15k btu unit will cycle on long enough to pull the moisture out? The moisture is what I am really concerned about.
Honestly No ; I think 15,000 BTU’s is a little to big to run long enough to pull down the humidity
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
15,000 BTU is too large. I’ve installed 9,000 BTU mini-splits wth variable speed compressors in a 19 and a 21 and they work perfectly. With a unit too large you will cool too quickly and not run long enough to dehumidify. You risk being cold and clammy in humid environments. It will also have a larger power draw which is an issue if you want to run on a small (2KW) generator. I would insist on the 11,000 BTU.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Our 13.500 BTU Coleman, installed in our E'21 a couple of years after the purchase, blows 60 degree air on us when it is 90+ outside. We have to wear sweaters...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Our 13.500 BTU Coleman, installed in our E'21 a couple of years after the purchase, blows 60 degree air on us when it is 90+ outside. We have to wear sweaters...
Do you happen to know the model # for your Coleman A/C
It sounds like a perfect replacement
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The 15k's I've seen on trailers are pretty big, physically. The Dometic Brisk Air is 15" tall vs 11" for the Penguin 11k. Did they say if they were also out of the 13.5k upgrade Dometics?
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Our standard 11,000 btu dometic does the same in our Escape 19 when we set the thermostat to 60°F. We set the thermostat to 70°F because we are not the sturdy , hearty people as Steve Dunham. But the A.C. is just as happy to run at 60°F when it is 90 or higher outside. It all depends on what we set the thermostat at.