Is aircondioning needed in BC? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 17b
Is aircondioning needed in BC?

Im looking at getting a 17B for my parents as a retirement gift, I was wondering is an A/C is needed for use in BC? We have a escape 21 and we have never used the A/C once but we use it for fall hunting and fishing.

My parents will not be taking it to the states or using it in the okanagan in the hottest months of the summer. They also will not be using RV parks with shore power mostly boondocking. It will mostly be used on the sunshine coast and for trips to the yukon.

Thanks
Headstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I would. The maxxfan does well, but at a certain point, there’s no substitute for AC when needed..

And it certainly won’t hurt resale should they decide to sell in the future. It can be add later as I believe they are hardwired for it but will probably be more expensive that route. My take.
Vicescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #3

From the use you describe I can't see why they would need A/C ? I think choosing options for ventilation and thermal options would be wise. Fall fishing and hunting it would be best to set it up for warmth and ventilation to handle condensation.

Possibly get it wired for A/C for another owner down the road.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #4

Nice retirement gift - your parents will love it!

Based on the usage you describe I’d pass on the ac.

We decided against ac for our own trailer for similar reasons and haven’t felt we needed it yet, even when camping locally (Okanagan) during the mid summer. Once we’re retired, we hope to spend some time camping in the southern states and may add the ac then. To us, this seems better than having an unused and deteriorating appliance with an expired warranty on our roof in the meantime.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Cool gift. (No pun intended)
They can always add it later if they feel they need it, but if they stay with what you describe they probably won’t need it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
From the use you describe I can't see why they would need A/C ? I think choosing options for ventilation and thermal options would be wise. Fall fishing and hunting it would be best to set it up for warmth and ventilation to handle condensation.

Possibly get it wired for A/C for another owner down the road.
Fair enough. Although It’s possible camping plans evolve into something more. If I was positive I wasn’t going to upgrade, I’d probably get it the way I’d want it, but plans change and if you do sell, the one with the a/c will be more attractive to more buyers. They used to all come pre-wired with a/c. Not sure if they still are or not.
I know you are not doing mid summer camping, but we’ve hit low 40’s C in BC and it has been a blessing for sure.
Again, just an opinion from one camper.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
I would not get it. You can not use it if you are not plugged in. Everyone suggest that for resale you should but if they live in BC the new owners can take it to ET and put in a new one. I camped in Osoyoos for 15 years in a thirty year old canvas tent trailer with just a fan and loved it.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #8

Yeah, you definitely shouldn’t get it. There’s no reason. 0.
I need to let this one go. Lol.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
As someone who lives in the Lower Mainland and has travelled in our 17B all throughout BC in various seasons, we have never been in a situation where I thought gee, I wish we had AC. The Maxx fan is also very efficient at removing warm air when needed. Resale is a consideration, but if you can confirm that Escape continues to pre-wire like they used to, I would definitely not get AC. Why pay for something that your parents will probably not use and that can be added later on if they need it travelling further south? Not sure if storage is an issue, but it also raises the overall height of the trailer.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 17b
Thank you everyone for the replys. I will not be getting one with an ac, resale is really not a concern.
Headstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I planned to save the money on the build of my E19. We often camp in northern Ontario to get away from the heat and the crowds. When it came to the build sheet, my wife couldn't support any trailer purchase that didn't have AC.

With the MaxFan, it stays pretty cool, even when it's warm out. One forum user removed 2 of the captains reading lights and replaced them with 12V fans.

https://www.my12voltstore.com/Marady...p/f-100012.htm

Every case is different. It sounds like they don't need it, but make sure it's prewired.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstrong View Post
Thank you everyone for the replys. I will not be getting one with an ac, resale is really not a concern.
I would support that 100%. We are from BC, not have AC and camp in the summer in the Okanagan and a bit in the Kootenays, and although it might be nice on the hottest days during the day, the Maxx fan works pretty well and generally it cools off at night enough that its not uncomfortable.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicescape View Post
They used to all come pre-wired with a/c. Not sure if they still are or not.
I believe they are. Bear in mind that all this includes is a 120V AC line from the roof opening to the power center. It does not include a breaker or anything related to thermostat wiring. It would be interesting to hear from an owner who had a unit installed later if they use one with controls mounted on the A/C itself or if they have a way of wiring up a digital thermostat on the wall.