Is high-lift axle option needed on 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 T.A.
Is high-lift axle option needed on 5.0?

Had one on my 19, but really didn’t need it. Thoughts on the 5.0?
Erik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
It might depend on the roads you drive. I have the high lift and am generally glad for it. We do travel down dirt roads with some big rock in the road.

So I think it helps us, but it might not be necessary for you if you don't encounter too many big bumps or high points at home.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Since the axle remains at the same height with the lift, it doesn't help for crossing rocks and ruts. As it lifts the frame, it can help with approach angles ( some drive ways ).
I came upon narrow ditches dug across a forest service road. Didn't have the trailer hooked up, but I did have my WDH mounted and it is what hit first.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

Bumpiest road I’ve driven has been Granite Creek, Wyoming, which is well known as being a nasty one.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
Bumpiest road I’ve driven has been Granite Creek, Wyoming, which is well known as being a nasty one.

The Granite Hot Springs road?

What a great place. The roads get worse than that around those parts very quickly. Try Union Pass out of Green River Lakes. That used to be bad, my guess is, it still is.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
You also need to look at clearance and ride height. We got hi-rise for clearance on bed rails. No problems with clearance or ride height for us. Your results may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
DCB816CE-46BC-4A7B-94DB-6E24B7A35677.jpg  
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The Granite Hot Springs road?

What a great place. The roads get worse than that around those parts very quickly. Try Union Pass out of Green River Lakes. That used to be bad, my guess is, it still is.
That’s the one!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

You're supposed to drive around the big rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #9

I'm not sure but I think it gets the landing gear a few inches higher with the high lift.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Since the axle remains at the same height with the lift, it doesn't help for crossing rocks and ruts.
True, but the axle tubes are so high that they are not a clearance issue on an Escape anyway.

Quote:
As it lifts the frame, it can help with approach angles ( some drive ways ).
It helps with both approach (front) and departure (rear) angles. The departure angle seems to be the biggest concern with travel trailers, although the Escape (and Trillium, etc) step-up frame helps departure clearance.

Quote:
I came upon narrow ditches dug across a forest service road. Didn't have the trailer hooked up, but I did have my WDH mounted and it is what hit first.
The WDH head and springs go up with the trailer frame if the kit is added, so the kit still helps, but of course this isn't relevant to a 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I'm not sure but I think it gets the landing gear a few inches higher with the high lift.
Yes, the landing gear and everything else attached to the trailer's frame and body go up by 2.625 inches with the high-lift kit. 5.0 owners can comment on whether this is an issue which needs to be fixed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The extra clearance above the bed rails can be beneficial - even essential at times. We have a pretty good hump to go over backing down into our driveway and the trailer dips quite a bit. The high lift axles gave us 9 inches of clearance above the bed rails and we need every bit of it.

In most situations you will be fine without it, but once in a while on uneven terrain it gives you extra flexibility. The extra height of the step at the door does not bother us, although now they do offer a two step option. And the trailer tows so well that I can't imagine the extra bit of height has any effect on that.

Another consideration is that truck sides seem to be creeping up in height year by year...even if you don't need the high lift now, years down the road if you replace your truck with a new one that could make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway 2.jpg   Driveway 1.jpg   Rambo setup.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, the landing gear and everything else attached to the trailer's frame and body go up by 2.625 inches with the high-lift kit.

Which, B-P, my conversion app says is 6.6675 centimetres.
What mind struggled to come up with that specified amount of lift and why that much?
Old 08-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Dexter had all of their engineers vote on an added height and the average was 2 5/8".
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Which, B-P, my conversion app says is 6.6675 centimetres.
What mind struggled to come up with that specified amount of lift and why that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Dexter had all of their engineers vote on an added height and the average was 2 5/8".

I assume that they just used an available C-section of about the right height, and it happened to be 2⅝". I listed it as a decimal value because fractions are a pain to type and are not always clearly understood.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
what is your truck bed height?
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The extra clearance above the bed rails can be beneficial - even essential at times. We have a pretty good hump to go over backing down into our driveway and the trailer dips quite a bit. The high lift axles gave us 9 inches of clearance above the bed rails and we need every bit of it.

In most situations you will be fine without it, but once in a while on uneven terrain it gives you extra flexibility. The extra height of the step at the door does not bother us, although now they do offer a two step option. And the trailer tows so well that I can't imagine the extra bit of height has any effect on that.

Another consideration is that truck sides seem to be creeping up in height year by year...even if you don't need the high lift now, years down the road if you replace your truck with a new one that could make a difference.
Curious as to your truck bed height? I have an F150 with 57" and wondering if I could do a drop like your driveway. I'm looking for a 5.0TA and I'm sure I need the lifted version,correct?
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Curious as to your truck bed height? I have an F150 with 57" and wondering if I could do a drop like your driveway. I'm looking for a 5.0TA and I'm sure I need the lifted version,correct?
My truck bed is 55.5" at the tailgate (without the trailer connected).
Old 08-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
David, I think this is the best example of the biggest benefit of a High Lift trailer. As stated many times before, the axle for the tires is set to the same height in both the regular and high lift trailer. This is the limiting variable regarding how high off the pavement you can get. That distance stays the same, no matter what.

But the other parts of the trailer, like the landing gear, is a couple of inches higher on the high lift. Plus now you need a second step. That's about it.

Big rocks in a dirt road are my biggest concern and this gives me slightly more clearance. Last time I was on a road like that, the oven door flew off in transit. No biggie, but it freaked me the hell out!
Old 08-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
what is your truck bed height?
55” at the top of the bed rails.