Is the top of your fiberglass Escape rough? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We picked up our 21C on October 24th and after getting it all the way back home I washed and waxed it. During this I noticed that the top was quite rough so I sent Escape an email.

My Question:
*** Is the top of Escape’s fiberglass mold made with a rough texture? I ask because the top of our brand new Escape is extremely rough and impossible to properly wax to protect the gelcoat from UV deterioration. I ask because the bottom of our brand new Escape is shiny and very smooth.

Escape's Response:
*** The top of the trailer does not receive the same attention as the sides of the trailer as it is not necessary to have the perfectly smooth finish, this is merely cosmetic and waxing can still be completed just the same.

Before my head explodes could someone offer me an understanding of Escape's response?
My 2014 Escape 19' roof is as smooth as the rest of the fiberglass shell. this is a cosmetic defect due to shortcut in manufacturing. Escape's quality is not like it used to be.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #62

Trailer: 17a escape
Rough roof top

I noticed the very same issue on my 2 year old 17A. I originally thought that sun exposure had caused this problem but I never checked the rooftop when I picked the trailer up from ETI. Maybe the rough texture was present from the very beginning. The sides and bottom of the trailer are very smooth but not the roof. I tried waxing with NuFinish but that didn’t improve the situation at all. I also had two clear coat cracks appear on the door side of the unit. I got those fixed by ETI but now I am wondering if these two issues are somehow related, especially given the fact that you have experienced the same two problems.
Ivan Desjardins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #63

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
The actual defect goes beyond the physical aspects of the construction of the upper shell, in my view.

Someone, most likely more than one someone, saw the condition of the roof finish and made a decision to move the shell along the production line despite the fact that the vast majority of shells come out of that phase of production with a smooth finish.

ETI either has a policy of allowing finish defects to move through if they are not likely to be immediately apparent to the buyer (most manufacturers refer to their products that meet these criteria as “B Stock) or the culture along the production line does not encourage employees to identify and seek to remedy such issues before the trailer is released to the buyer.

Neither explanation should be acceptable in a company that cites quality as a reason to buy their product.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #64

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
The actual defect goes beyond the physical aspects of the construction of the upper shell, in my view.

Someone, most likely more than one someone, saw the condition of the roof finish and made a decision to move the shell along the production line despite the fact that the vast majority of shells come out of that phase of production with a smooth finish.

ETI either has a policy of allowing finish defects to move through if they are not likely to be immediately apparent to the buyer (most manufacturers refer to their products that meet these criteria as “B Stock) or the culture along the production line does not encourage employees to identify and seek to remedy such issues before the trailer is released to the buyer.

Neither explanation should be acceptable in a company that cites quality as a reason to buy their product.
I think this happens much more than not. There are lots of folks who don't really look at things that require them to out a ladder.

ETI's response to my inquiry was spot on. Basically, if you can't see it we don't care.

I'll be sure to help spread the word about this issue to future Escape buyers.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I think this happens much more than not. There are lots of folks who don't really look at things that require them to out a ladder.
I'm not sure about that. Over the years there's be innumerable threads about waxing the trailer and ladders to use etc. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning the type of situation that you're referring to.

In the days before the stripper pole became standard there were instances of cracks on the roof near the door.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
What would a stand up company do to make it right?
A. Pay for the time to unload the trailer of personal belongings.
B. Build another trailer to the identical spec.
C. Inspect the new trailer for perfection.
D. Deliver the new trailer to the dissatisfied owner
E. Haul the unacceptable trailer away.
F. Make a commercial on how they screwed up and get a statement from the owner that they were taken care of and were satisfied with the remediation
G Throw in some swag for good measure.
H. Assure future owners that it wouldn’t happen again
I. Provide a rolling platform warehouse ladder for inspection in the future if the trailer is picked up at either Sumas or Chilliwack.
J. Apologize for the screw-up.

Do the right thing.

That’s my opinion. Yours may vary.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
What would a stand up company do to make it right?
A. Pay for the time to unload the trailer of personal belongings.
B. Build another trailer to the identical spec.
C. Inspect the new trailer for perfection.
D. Deliver the new trailer to the dissatisfied owner
E. Haul the unacceptable trailer away.
F. Make a commercial on how they screwed up and get a statement from the owner that they were taken care of and were satisfied with the remediation
G Throw in some swag for good measure.
H. Assure future owners that it wouldn’t happen again
I. Provide a rolling platform warehouse ladder for inspection in the future if the trailer is picked up at either Sumas or Chilliwack.
J. Apologize for the screw-up.

Do the right thing.

That’s my opinion. Yours may vary.
Iowa Dave
Dave,
I second your opinion. ETI needs to do better.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #68

Trailer: 2022 E19
Out of sight, out of care.............

While I fully support employing disabled folks whenever possible, slotting an ocular challenged type to be a finish carpenter is likely not the best utilization.

Drawer cut under wardrobe. That would have not "made the cut" in my shop.

The upcoming 23 CNC approach mentioned by Karl is needed........

Click pic below to expand

Click image for larger version

Name:	E19 drawer cut.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	65950
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
While I fully support employing disabled folks whenever possible, slotting an ocular challenged type to be a finish carpenter is likely not the best utilization.

Attachment 65950
That is horrible
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:

Attachment 65950
The employee who made that cut out should not be using a Jig saw or any saw for that matter.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #71

Quote:

Attachment 65950
WOW!

You should send that photo to Escape.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
It is my opinion that Escape Trailer failed in their manufacturing of my fiberglass shell. The main component and reason I chose Escape. They've created Defects in Materials and Workmanship in the structure of this trailer that will now cost me time and effort to repair.
We wax our E19 every year and there is ZERO difference between the finish on the top and the sides. I would be very unhappy if we traded in ours for a new one and had this experience. It would certainly make me wonder what other corners might be being cut or if employee morale is down and that has impacted quality.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My opinion, and that is what it is……my opinion.

The best solution would be to allow those customers (like WillyB) who are totally dissatisfied with the fiberglass finish is for ETI to own up to their screwup (I doubt that will happen) and foot the bill for the trailer’s finish to be corrected (I doubt even more that will happen). Any competent body shop or marine repair shop could make things right.
I am seriously considering calling ETI and removing my name from their list of “Ambassador’s.” I cannot, in clear conscience, recommend a product that is no longer produced with the same care as was used in the production of mine.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #74

Trailer: 21
Already have. Till escape own up to their failure to support their buyers and correct their mistakes
Old 11-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #75

When warm weather comes I am planning on buying a good orbital buffer and doing the roof myself in a series of finishing products. Something akin to Mequiar's Ultimate 3 Step product. I'm confident that should solve the issue. It's just disappointing to have Escape flat out admit they don't take the same care on the roof.

But enough about that.

Today is the day to give thanks. I am thankful to all of the great knowledge you have shared. No matter if it's about a roof or a good beer recommendation.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #76

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
When warm weather comes I am planning on buying a good orbital buffer and doing the roof myself in a series of finishing products. Something akin to Mequiar's Ultimate 3 Step product. I'm confident that should solve the issue. It's just disappointing to have Escape flat out admit they don't take the same care on the roof.

But enough about that.

Today is the day to give thanks. I am thankful to all of the great knowledge you have shared. No matter if it's about a roof or a good beer recommendation.

Happy Thanksgiving!
They’d best bring it back…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #77

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
To answer the thread title’s question, I was up on a ladder yesterday, and the roof of our 21C (picked up in June 2022) is as smooth as glass. Sorry you were one of the unfortunate ones, Willy. I hope ETI reimburses you for your expenses in getting yours right.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
hire a marine detailer, have them compound the roof really good til its smooth, lightly compound the whole thing, then ceramic coat it.

if they are worth a darn, you will be happy. it will shine for a year or two with only minimal maintenance (basically hosing off the road dirt).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yes, hire a Pro Bill- you'll waste your time with an orbital & Meguiars. Then send the receipt to ETI.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yes, hire a Pro Bill- you'll waste your time with an orbital & Meguiars. Then send the receipt to ETI.
They may want a photo of the situation and Willy has said that it doesn't show up in a photo.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote