Is this Camping? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My idea of living well. Do you bring the bike along?
No we don't bring the bike but wish we could.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Steveston B.C., British Columbia
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Posts: 504
I wonder how many laws you could break if one was to hook a small bike trailer to a travel trailer.? Or is that just crazy.
__________________
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 2,063
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
...a killer stereo system and we like our music.
What system to you have?
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
'93 Ford 150 XLT or
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Steveston B.C., British Columbia
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Posts: 504
I found a link for whats known as " triple towing " So maybe isn't that crazy after all. Just not that common. So I sapose you can take your toys with you if you like.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
__________________
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Glennrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chase, Canada, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 235
I have a tendency to agree that triple towing is a little sketchy. I wouldn't want to risk it. However, I do like the option of having my motorcycle with me. In lieu of triple towing I bought a long bed pickup that will accommodate my bike. After a good test run from BC to Utah, Arizona, California and back last October I have to say it worked admirably. Plus, it's legal!

Happy New Year!
Glenn
__________________
Glenn & Rosemary
Pleasure Way Excel TS Limited Edition
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
What system to you have?
Karen, It is a KDC-BT952HD Kenwood stereo that has several input options such as Aux, XM, USB, etc. and Blue Tooth wireless and a CD player and HD Radio Reception + remote control. The operating colors are even programmable. In each corner of the trailer I mounted one 6 1/2" Polk Audio Coaxial speaker (4) in a pod (surface-mounted) facing downward. Most of the time I use the Zumo 550 GPS Unit from my motorcycle for the XM stereo plugged into the AUX input. I also horizontally mounted a Marine AM/FM antenna over the inside of the doorway that has great reception.




This is one of two speakers mounted over the bed. Notice that I could see Morro Rock and the ocean from our bed in that campground!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
I have a tendency to agree that triple towing is a little sketchy. I wouldn't want to risk it. However, I do like the option of having my motorcycle with me. In lieu of triple towing I bought a long bed pickup that will accommodate my bike. After a good test run from BC to Utah, Arizona, California and back last October I have to say it worked admirably. Plus, it's legal!

Happy New Year!
Glenn
Nice bike! This is the way to go and would work for my HD Road King but my Honda GoldWing is about 6" longer and would require the tailgate down...and it takes some nerve to drive a 800lb+ or 900lb+ motorcycle up a ramp into the pickup bed and then back down backwards later...at least the GoldWing has reverse!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 2,063
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Karen, It is a KDC-BT952HD Kenwood stereo that has several input options such as Aux, XM, USB, etc. and Blue Tooth wireless and a CD player and HD Radio Reception + remote control. The operating colors are even programmable. In each corner of the trailer I mounted one 6 1/2" Polk Audio Coaxial speaker (4) in a pod (surface-mounted) facing downward. Most of the time I use the Zumo 550 GPS Unit from my motorcycle for the XM stereo plugged into the AUX input. I also horizontally mounted a Marine AM/FM antenna over the inside of the doorway that has great reception. This is one of two speakers mounted over the bed. Notice that I could see Morro Rock and the ocean from our bed in that campground!
Thank you for the info and the great pics...always a plus when looking at options.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
'93 Ford 150 XLT or
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Karen, I also wanted to add that I surface mounted everything because I just didn't want to cut into the cabinetry. In hindsight, I like the spot I chose for the stereo under under the cabinet in the dinette area next to the trailer door. It is a handy location and is not in the way.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I found a link for whats known as " triple towing " So maybe isn't that crazy after all. Just not that common. So I sapose you can take your toys with you if you like.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
You need to check state by state and province by province or you might find that you can't go further without dragging the trailer across state and then returning to pick up the rest of your "train".
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Glennrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chase, Canada, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Nice bike! This is the way to go and would work for my HD Road King but my Honda GoldWing is about 6" longer and would require the tailgate down...and it takes some nerve to drive a 800lb+ or 900lb+ motorcycle up a ramp into the pickup bed and then back down backwards later...at least the GoldWing has reverse!
Hi hotfishtacos, yes, it does take a little practice before feeling totally comfortable loading and unloading the bike. My Concours weighs a little over 700lbs, so it is in the ballpark of your Road King. I bought a very strong aluminum ramp so I'm able to sit on the bike as I slowly go up or down during loading/unloading. I still have room to spare behind my sport-tourer... the Wing might fit after all!
__________________
Glenn & Rosemary
Pleasure Way Excel TS Limited Edition
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
DonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
I think a long box is my best solution. I might even add a winch rather than ride my HD Road King up.
__________________
Port Moody, BC
2012. Escape 19
2012 Xterra 4x4
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
Hi hotfishtacos, yes, it does take a little practice before feeling totally comfortable loading and unloading the bike. My Concours weighs a little over 700lbs, so it is in the ballpark of your Road King. I bought a very strong aluminum ramp so I'm able to sit on the bike as I slowly go up or down during loading/unloading. I still have room to spare behind my sport-tourer... the Wing might fit after all!
That wide ramp is good so you can put both feet down.

The Wing is 8' 6" and over 900 lbs. Once I had to put the Wing in a rental truck with a long pull-out ramp about 2 feet wide. It was a "white-knuckler" going up the ramp fast and then full brakes at the top while I bottomed out the motorcycle bottom going into the truck skidding to a stop. Taking it out later was even more interesting!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have visions of that scene from Crocodile Dundee when he stood there and pointed his fingers at the charging animal and it then laid down, you standing there with your arms stretched out pointing towards the bears to get them to lay down, wow, I'd have to change my underwear if I had seen that!!!
I did not point my finger, I did point a winchester 1895, 30-06, a great teaching tool but noisy.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 5,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I found a link for whats known as " triple towing " So maybe isn't that crazy after all. Just not that common. So I sapose you can take your toys with you if you like.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Here is another site with towing info: State Towing Laws for RVs.

I've posted links to both of these sites on some of the other forums, and been told that there are errors in each of them, so it would probably be wise to actually check with the DMV of each state or province you plan to travel through for their trailer regulations.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
dave macrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Posts: 847
It is pretty common here in Alberta . There is a overal maximum length and must be with a fith wheel in the middle. These rigs sure are a pain in the back side at the gas stations.
__________________
MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Steveston B.C., British Columbia
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Posts: 504
Now this is camping.
I think most of us have done this in our younger years. LOL..
Attached Thumbnails
campinga.jpg  
__________________
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Doug, the wife and I are heading up your way this June for a "Sour Toe".
I'm sure we'll get a chance to do some fantastic camping under the Midnight Sun.
Please enlighten us, what is a "Sour Toe"??
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Now this is camping.
I think most of us have done this in our younger years. LOL..
Most definitely have camped like that in the past at bluegrass festivals, and other party situations. You get to fall asleep to the sounds of other amorous campers.

But most of my tenting has been in the backcountry, though some canoeists don't realize that these same sounds can easily carry across a lake in the serenity of the location.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Most definitely have camped like that in the past at bluegrass festivals, and other party situations. You get to fall asleep to the sounds of other amorous campers.

But most of my tenting has been in the backcountry, though some canoeists don't realize that these same sounds can easily carry across a lake in the serenity of the location.
Yeah, two summers ago I was lying awake at in my tent at Whiteswan Provincial Park in BC at about 1am in the morning hoping that the couple in a tent at the next site would get tired out and stop with all of the "excercise" related noises. I must say that they sure had a lot of stamina.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.