It Fits!! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Baglo's don't look like the C-Jack, or the Light Trailer jack, or even the Deluxe/T-Jack. They might be another brand, other than BAL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine cannot be used to lift the trailer.
That's fine, because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The method I suggested does not "lift" the front of the trailer with the stabilizers, you simply snug the stabilizers down to the ground, and then release the weight off the front jack.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When Tammy demonstrated for me she said to open until there is resistance and then go 1/4 turn more ( and no more ).
So, the technique may work for me, or it may not.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Baglo's don't look like the C-Jack, or the Light Trailer jack, or even the Deluxe/T-Jack. They might be another brand, other than BAL.

That's fine, because:
Glenn has the same BAL jacks I have on my 17B. The data sheet states they are Light Trailer Jacks, has multiple warnings not to use them to "lift" the trailer, not to use them to support the weight of the trailer, and only use them to stabilize it. They are Model 23025.

Again, even if you have stabilizers that are capable of lifting the trailer, because they are positioned at the extreme ends of the frame, it is probably not a good idea to lift from those locations. While the frame of an Escape is substantial, there is the possibility of bending it when lifting from the standard location of the stabilizer jacks.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Akoakoa,
Congratulations on fitting in your garage! I'm jealous. BTW…was that you headed to the coast on Saturday, 3/30, about 2:00PM? We were headed back to Portland and noticed a 17 with red graphics. We crossed too quickly to flash lights, toot horn, etc.
Eric
Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Glenn has the same BAL jacks I have on my 17B. The data sheet states they are Light Trailer Jacks.
They are Model 23025.
Thanks. The foot of the jacks in Glenn's photo didn't match the current BAL photo, but details change wth time.

Quote:
... has multiple warnings not to use them to "lift" the trailer, not to use them to support the weight of the trailer, and only use them to stabilize it.
Again, no one is suggesting lifting the trailer with these jacks, just holding it while a block is added under the tongue jack.

Quote:
Again, even if you have stabilizers that are capable of lifting the trailer, because they are positioned at the extreme ends of the frame, it is probably not a good idea to lift from those locations. While the frame of an Escape is substantial, there is the possibility of bending it when lifting from the standard location of the stabilizer jacks.
First, we're not talking about supporting the whole weight of the trailer, just a small portion. As for the location, if holding the front up with jacks under the front of the frame would bend it, then holding the tongue up with the hitch or tongue jack would make it fold in the same place.

Of course, everyone needs to make their own decisions, but I haven't seen any information here which suggests that the two jacks under the front of the trailer are not suitable for supporting the front of the trailer without the tongue jack.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #46

Only one way to find out Brian. You'll just have to buy an Escape and try it.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They are suitable for supporting the front of the trailer. I have removed my jack when it was supported by the stabilizers. But, support is one thing, raising up from a static position is another and how would you raise both simultaneously?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They are suitable for supporting the front of the trailer.
The problem with that sentence is that it doesn't specify what "they" are. There are different stabilizers and different stabilizers have been used on various trailers.
So, when Tammy tells me not to crank the stabilizer down more than a quarter turn after it is firmly on the ground, I think I should follow her advice.

In many cases on the forums, people are posting information based on misinformation or misunderstanding. In the case of this thread, the term "jacks" is often used, and my stabilizers definitely are not "jacks".
Old 04-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #49

I agree, to me a jack can raise or lower, a stabilizer just keeps it static. When I say "They" I mean the stabilizers will support the trailer. Would I leave it that way, NO. It was temporary and I had jack stands as a back up.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #50

Quote:
They are suitable for supporting the front of the trailer. I have removed my jack when it was supported by the stabilizers. But, support is one thing, raising up from a static position is another and how would you raise both simultaneously?
No one is suggesting raising the trailer with the stabilizer jacks, simultaneously or otherwise.

Quote:
So, when Tammy tells me not to crank the stabilizer down more than a quarter turn after it is firmly on the ground, I think I should follow her advice.
No one is suggesting cranking the stabilizers down any more after they are on the ground, so there is no conflict with this instruction from Tammy.

Quote:
In many cases on the forums, people are posting information based on misinformation or misunderstanding. In the case of this thread, the term "jacks" is often used, and my stabilizers definitely are not "jacks".
The stabilizer jacks are most certainly jacks. Well, at least the industry that makes them, the company that makes the ones used by Escape, and people who write dictionaries think so, anyway.

Quote:
I agree, to me a jack can raise or lower, a stabilizer just keeps it static.
Many jacks raise and lower under load, but not all. A stabilizing jack is an example of the meaning Merriam-Webster lists as
Quote:
3:something that supports or holds in position
I think some people are getting distracted by the word "jack" and not reading the description of the suggested procedure, even though it has been repeated several times.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #51

I read and understand the suggested procedure, just not going to employ it, because I'm not confident in the "jacks".
Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had to do just this a few times. My drive is sloped enough, that I put every bit of blocking under the jack as I can, and it will just level out cranked right up. If I drop it off with my F-350, then try to hook up with the Pilot, with the ball on the Pilot being about 1" higher, I can't quite get under. I have put the front stabilizers down, and raised the jack up enough to slip another chunk of 2x underneath, and then I can raise it up high enough. With something as light as our Escapes, I am not worried with this bit of a static load temporarily on the stabilizers. I would never leave it like that for more than the time to make the adjustments needed though.

Another method I have used with trailers, some of which did not even have front stabilizers, is to just put blocks under the tongue, raise the jack, and add more under it to get the height needed. I have done this a few hundred times over the years. Works great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Ok here it is. This is taken at the time we are about to switch to the hitch wheel (Which is after we used the tow vehicle to back the trailer into the garage and now ready for fine tuning of the storage position.)

It looks to me the tongue jack has to be retracted way into the tongue for us to put the wheel on.

We are still using a pair of jack stands at home so we can install the hitch wheel after raising and lowering the tongue a couple times. We don't yet have a solution for use at campsite, because we haven't had the need to move the trailer yet.

Not an urgent issue but a very nice save of time if we could figure it out!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #54

You will have to replace the tongue jack with a shorter one if you want to use that wheel. There are other wheels also Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924
Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
You could unhitch your tow vehicle, jack the trailer up a few inches higher than shown in your picture, put a wooden block under the frame near the jack location, retract the jack, and then attach the hitch wheel, jack up the front of the trailer again, remove the block, and lower jack as desired. Repeat the process in reverse to remove the wheel.

If you choose to live dangerously, use the front stabilizers on your trailer instead of the wooden block.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
After now seeing a photo of the situation, I hate to sound like an nag , but I stand by my first advice.

It looks like the bottom of the jack tube needs to be about 3" higher. Undo the 3 bolts holding the jack on, put 3 spacer tubes in place and use longer bolts to hold the jack on. Most building supply stores sell black iron nipples in assorted lengths so no cutting or other work is required. Unless there would be some interaction with other items such as a tailgate that's what I'd do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #57

Quote:
You could unhitch your tow vehicle, jack the trailer up a few inches higher than shown in your picture, put a wooden block under the frame near the jack location, retract the jack, and then attach the hitch wheel, jack up the front of the trailer again, remove the block, and lower jack as desired. Repeat the process in reverse to remove the wheel.
This is what we have been doing at home, sort of. We used a pair of jack stands. It works great...

Quote:
If you choose to live dangerously, use the front stabilizers on your trailer instead of the wooden block.
I was just thinking about that. With a full storage box and a propane tank, do you think the trailer will take a "nose dive"?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It looks like the bottom of the jack tube needs to be about 3" higher.
Ron
That makes me wonder. We ordered the trailer with lower axle and smaller tires so we max out the chance of fitting in into the garage. The lower axle gives us 1", the smaller tire gives us 1/2". This means the frame is only lowered by about 1.5" -- doesn't sound like there's enough room to put the wheel on even before the modifications. Does anyone out there with a standard 17' and be able to use the hitch wheel??
Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
...I was just thinking about that. With a full storage box and a propane tank, do you think the trailer will take a "nose dive"?
No danger whatsoever of a nose dive. The trailer center of gravity is too far back for that to happen. Have used this trick several times to add more blocks under the jack in order to lift the front of the trailer higher on a sloping site. Some on this site have concerns that the front stabilizers may not support the weight of the front of the trailer, but that is not my experience.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #60

If you do decide to use the stabilizers to attach the jack wheel, make sure you have the tires ( both sides ) chocked front and back. I had my trailer decide to re-orient itself once last year on what appeared to be a totally level site.